× Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

ECU Upgrades/programing

• Zimoludek
  • Zimoludek's Avatar Topic Author
More
23 Apr 2017 23:25 #19669 by Zimoludek
ECU Upgrades/programing was created by Zimoludek
Hi,

I own an 1979 Porsche 928 engine code M28 / 03, 219 Hp.Are there any places where I can send my ECU for programming/update to get some extra HP. After all the same car in EU has more HP how can I unlock that power without doing engine work. Really appropriate some help with this.

Thanks,
Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2017 14:51 #19679 by Rich928
Replied by Rich928 on topic ECU Upgrades/programing
Hello Adam,

Your 1979 Porsche 928 has no electronics in the fuel injection system other than the fuel pump(s). A Bosch K-Jetronic Continuous Injection System (CIS) is installed. The spark system uses a transistor amplified system that is excited by a Hall-Effect sensor located in the distributor. Spark timing advance is also purely mechanical. So there is no "ECU" so no modification possible. The US/Japan Porsche 928s from 1980 - 1984 used an L-Jetronic fuel injection system. The L-Jetronic is an analog system and thus it is not possible to do a "chip" upgrade. The same spark system was used from 1978 - 1984.

It wasn't until model year 1985 in the US and 1984 for Euro/ROW cars that digital LH fuel injection and EZF spark systems were used. There are tuned chips available for 928s from 1985 - 1995.

Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zimoludek

• Zimoludek
  • Zimoludek's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2017 15:04 #19680 by Zimoludek
Replied by Zimoludek on topic ECU Upgrades/programing
My engine is out head gasket needs to be replaced, what would you recomand to do in order to free up some HP ? What about headers , which ones would you recomand. Whichever they are i just want to make sure that i can do clutch work when needed down the line. What about other upgrades and or aftermarket clutch kit? I'm thinking of supercharging it next year would it be wise for me to install a better than OEM head gasket? What your take on that. Would love to know your input as I'm a bit new to Porsche. Thanks.

More
30 Apr 2017 16:20 #19681 by Rich928
Replied by Rich928 on topic ECU Upgrades/programing
Hello Adam,

In instruct driving on the track and many people think that maximum power is what is needed for fun and enjoyment. My suggestion is the opposite, learn to drive on the track with a lower powered car and only when all the basics are understood should you move up in power ... otherwise you're fighting to stay alive with too much power and don't learn technique and finesse. To some extent this also applies on the street too.

You have a 4.5-liter 38 year old car that was designed to run on regular fuel. The first question is what do you want out of this car? It was one of the faster cars of the day, but time has marched on. Porsche had upped the power to 345 HP with the 5.4-liter 928 GTS in 1993 (US) before the production was discontinued. Today, most any car has 300 HP and 500+ HP is where performance cars are. The only way to get up to the 300 HP range with your 928 would be to install a super charger kit. The engine must be in good condition to survive the extra stress, so I’d suggest replacing the rod bearings and rings now that the engine is out of the car.

The first thing to make sure is that everything is working properly. If the car has sat for a while the CIS fuel distributor is often gummed up and doesn't flow well. CIS fuel injectors need to be cleaned and flow fuel well. Do all this and you get your 219 HP. Some people reduce weight by removing the spare tire to get that little extra umph.

On these early cars exhaust improvements provide the most benefit. If you live in a state where you need the catalytic convertor then it would take quite some work to get a header system to work right. The most you’d see from exhaust improvements would be and additional 10 to 20 HP.

I own a stock 1979 928. It takes some attention to shifting to keep up with traffic but I never feel left behind. My 1979 track car has the Euro S top end, headers, and a 5-liter block has the equivalent power of a GTS and still many new totally stock cars kick my butt on the straights but I catch them in the corners. I also own a 1987 S4 and on the road it is a cruising dream with “just” 318 HP. My 1993 GTS feels like a lighter car with all the improvements and power. Some 928 owners feel compelled to add more power but it consumes “cubic money” at an exponential rate.

There is no magic and not too much tuning for the older cars. Drive them as intended and enjoy them! I always get a smiling nod or thumbs up when driving and that doesn't require any additional performance!

Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast

More
01 May 2017 22:08 #19684 by Brent
Replied by Brent on topic ECU Upgrades/programing
That's really good advice.

Moderators: Rich928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!