Owner's Club Loanables

More
31 Jan 2012 09:31 #8011 by smtcapecod
The fender rolling tool was a great idea and nice item to have access to by virtue of ownership.

What are the prospects for next-trinkets?

What prompted my inquiry in particular is the Porken 32v'r, its something I'd like to have occasional access to in order to nail the timing...but realistically I'll be into the timing belt so seldom, that I don't know that I can justify a purchase.

Must be some other none-consumables, for periodic use, that would be fitting for the common good!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2012 10:14 #8013 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Owner's Club Loanables
I think other tools is part of our agenda.

Don't forget we also have the 928 diag tool (an alternative to the Porsche Hammer).

I had suggested smaller tools like the Jay Kempf tensioner gauge, but if I recall correctly, the board felt it was something each owner should have.

I can understand the Porken 32v'r tool being perhaps closer to the Jay Kempf tool, and I would be concerned as it might be bit fragile. I am definitely interested in hearing other thoughts on this or other tools, to present those ideas to the 928 OC board for consideration.

I was also interested in offering alignment tools, and we had taken steps towards at least accumulating those that could be simply and cost effectively shipped, but it didn't happen....

More
31 Jan 2012 10:40 #8014 by OBehave
Replied by OBehave on topic Owner's Club Loanables
I think a timing belt replacement kit may be a better way .In it would be a flywheel lock tool,Kempf tool,Porken 32vr,crank socket and big ass wrench to turn it,and a torque wrench.If I'm forgetting something just add it to the list too. Also include a nice "how to" like from Dwayne in the kit. I think this would make it easier for the non mechanic to maintain his own car at at the same time,by offering this to members it helps grow our membership and promotes 928 ownership.
Ed

More
31 Jan 2012 12:05 #8015 by srshaw3

I think a timing belt replacement kit may be a better way .In it would be a flywheel lock tool,Kempf tool,Porken 32vr,crank socket and big ass wrench to turn it,and a torque wrench.If I'm forgetting something just add it to the list too. Also include a nice "how to" like from Dwayne in the kit. I think this would make it easier for the non mechanic to maintain his own car at at the same time,by offering this to members it helps grow our membership and promotes 928 ownership.
Ed

A good idea, how long would the average non mechanic need it for, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, so we might need several kits, in order to serve more than a few members per year, right?

More
31 Jan 2012 13:46 #8019 by OBehave
Several kits would be a good idea anyway but the time frame is difficult for me to comprehend taking 3 months to do a timing belt but I'm sure it has taken some people longer. Kinda like this guy I know with a stroker he's been trying to put together for years.;)
Also some other ideas for tool kits could be cam removal and installation and torque tube bearing replacement tool kits.

More
31 Jan 2012 13:51 #8020 by srshaw3

Kinda like this guy I know with a stroker he's been trying to put together for years.;)

Sounds like a nut case!

More
31 Jan 2012 14:01 #8022 by OBehave

Sounds like a nut case!

He plays with life size Tonka toys too!

More
31 Jan 2012 14:06 #8023 by srshaw3

He plays with life size Tonka toys too!

Not yet, but he has a down payment on one like the one below. Like a 928 it has deferred maintenance :D

Attached files [img]media/attachments/8195=902-JD450B_sample.jpg[/img]

More
31 Jan 2012 18:31 #8026 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Owner's Club Loanables
I play with tonka trucks
you can load 400 ton in this one
the tires are 13 feet high

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
31 Jan 2012 20:39 #8031 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Owner's Club Loanables

I play with tonka trucks...

Does it have any underbody bling Brad? :D

More
31 Jan 2012 20:43 #8032 by 928mac

Does it have any underbody bling Brad? :D

It has rear cameras but no neon :(

More
31 Jan 2012 21:06 #8033 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Owner's Club Loanables
Ed, I like your idea!

Brad, how could those tires EVER be changed???? Each tire must weigh 1500#!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
01 Feb 2012 06:52 #8040 by OBehave
Thanks James, I just remember some time ago on Rennlist someone saying there was no benefit to joining the OC, and some didn't even know it existed.I think something of this sort really would add value to becoming a member.
I'm assuming we would loan these "kits" out to members for just shipping charges right? and do you think we could rent them to non members to try and recoup costs and to not leave anyone out? I think membership should have it's privledges and that's the basic marketing point of joining. Thoughts?
Ed

More
01 Feb 2012 09:36 #8043 by srshaw3

Thanks James, I just remember some time ago on Rennlist someone saying there was no benefit to joining the OC, and some didn't even know it existed.I think something of this sort really would add value to becoming a member.
I'm assuming we would loan these "kits" out to members for just shipping charges right? and do you think we could rent them to non members to try and recoup costs and to not leave anyone out? I think membership should have it's privledges and that's the basic marketing point of joining. Thoughts?
Ed

The tool initiative is one I started a few years ago with the 928 Diag tool and last year Gary Knox (with your help Ed) put together the fender rolling tool.

I think putting together a maintenance tool kit is a great idea. :D

The first issue will be identifying the volunteer who will manage the shipping along with getting deposits. Once someone is ready to do that, we could list the tools and price them out, to determine whether we go to the 928 OC board for approval on one set, two sets, etc.

More
01 Feb 2012 11:15 #8048 by OBehave
Are those tools that are now available to just members or general population? I got the feeling that on Rennlist the fender tool was available to everyone for shipping costs. In which case it doesn't give incentive to join.Not that I am against anyone being able to use this "system", it's just that I think membership should have it's perks.
I would love to be able to volunteer for that responsibility but I am afraid I may not be able to keep up with it as I get kind of overwhelmed with work.
Case in point,over 2 years now and I still haven't put picture on my website.:eek:

More
01 Feb 2012 11:23 #8049 by srshaw3

Are those tools that are now available to just members or general population?

928 OC members only as specified in the post at:
forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1051

Yes, that is the intent, to encourage people to join. If someone is not a member, it shouldn't be much to ask them to join for $29.28 via Paypal fior the opportunity to borrow hundreds of dollars of the club members tools...

More
01 Feb 2012 14:11 #8051 by OBehave
I went back and looked up Gary's post on Rennlist and it does say members.
I was also thinking about volunteering and I think I could handle the stocking and shipping aspect as I have UPS,FedEx and over the road trucker accounts here so predictability of pick up and delivery are known and consistant. Once the packages are made up and we know the weights and sizes it is just a matter of printing the ship to ticket each time.I certainly have enough room to store all of it. I think the area I may become a bottle neck is in the exchanging of e-mails and monies and keeping that all together and on time.
I want to help so use me where you see fit.
Ed

More
01 Feb 2012 14:20 #8053 by srshaw3

I went back and looked up Gary's post on Rennlist and it does say members.
I was also thinking about volunteering and I think I could handle the stocking and shipping aspect as I have UPS,FedEx and over the road trucker accounts here so predictability of pick up and delivery are known and consistant. Once the packages are made up and we know the weights and sizes it is just a matter of printing the ship to ticket each time.I certainly have enough room to store all of it. I think the area I may become a bottle neck is in the exchanging of e-mails and monies and keeping that all together and on time.
I want to help so use me where you see fit.
Ed

You wouldn't have to deal with the money directly, as it would be paid to the 928 OC paypal account. We just would need the treasurer, Gary Knox, to handle that aspect. I can check payment status, but can't refund deposits.

Sounds like a plan, now we need to get a tool list together with costs, so I can present it to the board.

More
01 Feb 2012 14:27 #8054 by 928mac
1 Thought is that if I borrowed it and paid for the shipping and then someone close to me wanted to borrow it,
would it be ok for me to verify the condition and packaging with pictures to ship directly to the next person (Say Malcolm) ?

When he receives it he could sign the list that travels with the kit as received in good order.

Now there will come a time when parts like the wheel need to be replaced due to ware. Who would pay for and perform the repair?

More
01 Feb 2012 14:33 #8056 by srshaw3

1 Thought is that if I borrowed it and paid for the shipping and then someone close to me wanted to borrow it,
would it be ok for me to verify the condition and packaging with pictures to ship directly to the next person (Say Malcolm) ?

When he receives it he could sign the list that travels with the kit as received in good order.

Now there will come a time when parts like the wheel need to be replaced due to ware. Who would pay for and perform the repair?

In general this would be up to the person handling it. One issue is that we would likely want the deposits to made through the 928 OC paypal account, so borrower B would need to make their deposit before borrower A was refunded theirs.

I am not sure what wheel you are referring to, but in general the club would be responsible for wear issues.

More
01 Feb 2012 15:05 #8057 by 928mac

In general this would be up to the person handling it. One issue is that we would likely want the deposits to made through the 928 OC paypal account, so borrower B would need to make their deposit before borrower A was refunded theirs.

I am not sure what wheel you are referring to, but in general the club would be responsible for wear issues.

oh I was thinking about if the fender rolling tool wheel/roller became in need of replacement

More
02 Feb 2012 13:12 #8071 by OBehave
I guess if I end up warehousing these things I could certainly maintain them.I think they would have to be inspected after every loan out to make sure they are re-useable.

More
12 Feb 2012 09:40 #8173 by srshaw3
Tool to add to list: Porken bumpstick

More
14 Feb 2012 21:36 #8203 by smtcapecod
Replied by smtcapecod on topic Owner's Club Loanables
This seems promising!

ALong a similar but different veign- different in that it may be a bridge too far...getting some cores/replacements of some items that normally trigger down time would be neat.

MAFs come to mind.

Cores for intake/valve cover refinishing would be neat, but probably not worth it unless donated.

More
15 Feb 2012 03:42 #8204 by srshaw3

This seems promising!

ALong a similar but different veign- different in that it may be a bridge too far...getting some cores/replacements of some items that normally trigger down time would be neat.

MAFs come to mind.

Cores for intake/valve cover refinishing would be neat, but probably not worth it unless donated.

Perhaps a separate kind of list.
Owners with cores to be sold.
For example, I have a used good MAF that I bought to determine if I had an issue, then I sent my original MAF out to be rebuilt. I could easily sell my MAF to someone, so they could use it while theirs is being rebuilt, then they could sell it to the next person, etc. Or to avoid the multiple swaps, they could have it rebuilt, and then offer their old one as a core.

The same thing could be done with an intake and cam covers. I don't think it would make sense for the club to be shipping the parts back and forth, as the cost of doing so decreases the value of the option. But perhaps have a forum topic specific to that particular part would allow members to find someone with a core.

The key to all of this is someone to manage the process, and while Ed has offered to store and ship the kits, I think we still need someone that is computer literate and detailed enough to manage the process so Ed's part of the task is to review the kits and ship them out. I would be willing to do this later this year, of my hope for a new 928 OC president comes through :>)

More
20 Feb 2012 12:19 #8263 by smtcapecod
speaking of which, my MAF is out now for precuationary rebuild- does anybody have a Blink'r they might loan when I get it back?

:o

More
20 Feb 2012 13:45 #8264 by srshaw3
i don't know what that is. What is a

Blink'r

More
20 Feb 2012 13:53 #8265 by 928mac

speaking of which, my MAF is out now for precuationary rebuild- does anybody have a Blink'r they might loan when I get it back?

:o

Do you mean a signal light flasher

More
20 Feb 2012 20:59 #8277 by the flying scotsman
we called 'turn signals' blinkers in Scotland.

they're also blinkers put over a race horses eyes so it only sees straight..........wished I had a pair all those years ago :)

More
20 Feb 2012 21:05 #8278 by smtcapecod
This is just an odd place sometimes.....You S4 guys are killing me... :D

Just kidding- I know it is a mixed crew.

It's a macguyvered tuning aid...no longer in production. Useful for those of us that don't have a wideband or CO sniffer handy.

www.liftbars.com/docs/Blinkr.pdf

More
24 May 2012 19:17 #9305 by mickster
Replied by mickster on topic Owner's Club Loanables

I think other tools is part of our agenda.

Don't forget we also have the 928 diag tool (an alternative to the Porsche Hammer).

(snip)

Does this tool allow for PSD bleeding?

More
26 May 2012 15:24 #9314 by Adamant1971
Replied by Adamant1971 on topic Owner's Club Loanables
Don't forget a tourque multiplier, the crank bolts often need a bit of assistance.

1987 S4 5 spd, LSD, Sport Seats

Daily Driver: 2008 SAAB 9-5 Aero CombiSport

More
31 May 2012 14:54 #9379 by OBehave
Does the club own a Sharktuner and if not is there a plan to acquire one?

More
31 May 2012 16:03 #9381 by srshaw3

Does the club own a Sharktuner and if not is there a plan to acquire one?

We do not own one.
We could consider purchasing one, if the manufacturer is interested in selling one to us to loan out to members. Does anyone have the manufacturer's contact information?

More
01 Jun 2012 00:03 #9384 by 928mac
I think Malcolm may know

More
05 Jun 2012 21:38 #9478 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic Owner's Club Loanables
Roger purchased several ST's for rentals and no one took him up on the offer. Which was awefully funny because for a couple of years people begged to be able to rent one. When the time came nothing happened. So, there are two ST's for early cars floating around here in DFW and soon to have a few STII's. That's about $5k in Shark Tuners not earning any $$. Might have to check to see if he wants to put one in the "OC Shark Tank".

More
06 Jun 2012 00:07 #9482 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Owner's Club Loanables
^^^^^
That would be pretty awesome!!!

Then we will need to rent YOU, Sean to come show us how to use the damn thing!

If/when the '95 finally gets back from the body shop I hope that will be my "tuner" car. Love to do what Rog/Jim have done w/ their GTS's as well as putting in a nice Ben G coated intake to pretty things up a bit, oh and of course Greg B's breather system! I want the '95 to really be a work of art that goes like stink while looking as good as any 928 ever has!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!