87 928 starts but won't keep running - ideas on where to start?

More
15 Jun 2012 16:01 #9529 by townofheroes
Any ideas on where to start?
Left work the other day stopped at a stop light car dies in downtown Tampa.
I'd crank the engine it would run rough for 3 seconds and quit running.
Now it won't won't start at all.
With the ignition key turned on I hear this tick, tick, tick near the fuel rails.
It has approx. 33000 miles. I've been driving regularly for the past 2 years that I've owned it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2012 16:24 #9530 by xstepson
Find someone close to swap LH computers with. Use your computer in their car so that if something in your car has destroyed your computer, it won't destroy theirs as well. Chances are that from the symptoms you describe, your LH computer (the computer that controls fuel/injection and mixture) has gone bad. They can be rebuilt for not too much money. John Speake and Rich at Electonik Repair both provide that service

More
15 Jun 2012 21:45 #9531 by pcar928fan
'87 MY...yup, go with brain dead and I bet you will be correct. Our own Rick Andrade can rebuild that bad boy for you. He might even have one ready to go and you trade yours in as a core. Roughly $600 IIRC...had to do one in my '88...

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• alabbasi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2012 09:19 #9533 by alabbasi
Before jumping to conclusions, I would check a couple of things (not 928 things, but general things).

1) Check to see if there is power to the fuel pump - would indicate a bad relay or controller
2) The some lines at the fuel rail to see if there is any pressure at the fuel rail (would indicate that you're getting fuel from the pump)
3) Check to see if the injectors are firing (you may be able to do this by putting a socket extension to it and the other side to your ear to year them)

If you're getting fuel to the rails and the injectors are firing, then you have a spark or timing problem.

More
16 Jun 2012 12:44 #9536 by 928mac

Before jumping to conclusions, I would check a couple of things (not 928 things, but general things).

1) Check to see if there is power to the fuel pump - would indicate a bad relay or controller
2) The some lines at the fuel rail to see if there is any pressure at the fuel rail (would indicate that you're getting fuel from the pump)
3) Check to see if the injectors are firing (you may be able to do this by putting a socket extension to it and the other side to your ear to year them)

If you're getting fuel to the rails and the injectors are firing, then you have a spark or timing problem.

I agree to do some basic test as Ala described
Basic as check for 45 lb fuel pressure and check for spark.
I know its a pita by your self but it could save you $600 for a bad fuel relay.
If you need directions on how to . . . just ask.

If everything seems to work, then it is More then likely an electronic issue and you will have to have your LH computer tested by sending out or in another car.

Keep us posted

More
16 Jun 2012 12:51 #9537 by townofheroes

I agree to do some basic test as Ala described
Basic as check for 45 lb fuel pressure and check for spark.
I know its a pita by your self but it could save you $600 for a bad fuel relay.
If you need directions on how to . . . just ask.

If everything seems to work, then it is More then likely an electronic issue and you will have to have your LH computer tested by sending out or in another car.

Keep us posted

Thank for all of your comments so far.

Directions would be very helpful.

More
16 Jun 2012 20:50 #9538 by 928mac
After I wrote this post I did a search and found this, which is the same as John aka Stepson posted
turn the ignition on (don't try to start the engine yet), and listen very carefully for clicking from the injectors. If the injectors are clicking, the LH (injection) ECU has died.
In light of that it is up to you if you continue with any other test. personally I would check for fuel and spark, but I replaced both my computers for a stand alone Tec-4 GT system so I don't have an LH or EZK anymore

Well the first place to start when you have a problem is to do a little searching
but you can start in our 928 OC technical library link below

forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16

There you will see the first link on that page is to more links
[Links to external 928 area]

forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=995

the fifth link down [Nichols 928 tips] has lots of help

nichols.nu/tips.htm

under Engine there is a basic Diagnostics steps page that will help some

1-To short cut to check for fuel pressure, you need to listen for it running when the key is turned on, if yes?
then connect a gauge to the front of the fuel rail. do you have a test gauge?

2-To check for spark you need to remove a plug wire and install a tester or an old plug that worked.
Connect a ground wire to it and while cranking watch for spark. is there spark?

ILL wait till you get this far

More
17 Jun 2012 18:10 #9544 by townofheroes

After I wrote this post I did a search and found this, which is the same as John aka Stepson posted
turn the ignition on (don't try to start the engine yet), and listen very carefully for clicking from the injectors. If the injectors are clicking, the LH (injection) ECU has died.
In light of that it is up to you if you continue with any other test. personally I would check for fuel and spark, but I replaced both my computers for a stand alone Tec-4 GT system so I don't have an LH or EZK anymore

Well the first place to start when you have a problem is to do a little searching
but you can start in our 928 OC technical library link below

forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16

There you will see the first link on that page is to more links
[Links to external 928 area]

forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=995

the fifth link down [Nichols 928 tips] has lots of help

nichols.nu/tips.htm

under Engine there is a basic Diagnostics steps page that will help some

1-To short cut to check for fuel pressure, you need to listen for it running when the key is turned on, if yes?
then connect a gauge to the front of the fuel rail. do you have a test gauge?

2-To check for spark you need to remove a plug wire and install a tester or an old plug that worked.
Connect a ground wire to it and while cranking watch for spark. is there spark?

ILL wait till you get this far

I've got spark but I don't have a test guage for the fuel pressure.
I'm still hearing that tick, tick, tick sound.

More
18 Jun 2012 11:15 #9551 by xstepson
When you turn the key to the "on" position, does the fuel pump hum? You only have like 3 seconds to check. Have somebody turn the key for you and feel the cover to check. ....OR..... make a jumper wire for the fuel pump relay. To jumper: remove the relay and look at the orientation of the male spades. Find spade terminal 30 and terminal 87 on the relay. Move to the Central Fuse Panel and connect corresponding terminals 30 and 87. Check for fuel pump function. Remove the jumper wire (the fuel pump will continue to operate if it is presently doing so until you remove the jumper wire) so that the engine will not hydrolock from a leaky injector.

If the fuel pump works when you use the relay and turn the key, then again I say you need to test your LH unit on someone elses car.

If the fuel pump works only with the jumper wire, try starting the car. I doubt it will start, but I have had LH computers that failed (or were in the midst of failing) that failed to provide the correct ground for the fuel pump relay. BY using a jumper wire, that function was bypassed and the car ran just fine. I don't think this will happen in your case though.

Just remember to remove that jumper wire when you are done.

More
19 Jun 2012 17:40 #9556 by townofheroes
I've decided to send off the LH/ECM unit to have it checked.
I've taken the testing as far as I can.
I'm really glad I joined the Club. This makes owning a 928 even more fun.
I'll follow up with a post if this is the problem.

More
25 Jun 2012 11:00 #9601 by townofheroes
Thanks for all of the help and support.

I sent the unit off to
Specialized ECU Repair
1-800-328-1425
www.ecudoctors.com

They charged me $400.

I was very pleased with their service.

Back on the road in my 928!!!!!!!!!

More
25 Jun 2012 16:07 #9602 by xstepson
Town,
Glad they got you back on the road. How did you hear about Specialized ECU? What kind of warranty did they give you? Just wondering as I have never heard of them before.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!