Suggestions to fixing and organizing the 928oc site

More
01 Sep 2012 09:47 #10888 by 928mac
I am starting this thread for everyone to leave there suggestions on

Please keep it short and detailed so that we can deal with 1 at a time.

maybe keep it to just 2 suggestions per post, and make multiple post if you have more then 1 or 2 suggestions.

we will try to get to them as time allows IF they are doable

Thanks,

ILL start

Brad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2012 09:50 #10889 by 928mac
So I want to check out the goodies store.
I click on the link and the forum opens.

Here is what I see

Announcement: 928 OC Board Elections

Sticky: Instructions for ordering from the 928OC Goodie Store

Cigar Lighter suggestion?

928 Money Clip ???

928 Calendar High Heels & Hot Wheels 2011

then I see

Display Options
Showing threads 1 to 3 of 3
[Sorted By] [Sort Order] [From The]

The [From The] drop down box defaults to (last year)
and because of that I can only see the 3 threads and the sticky note.

If I change the drop down from [last year] to [beginning], then and only then can I see all 16 threads.

dose anyone else have this problem or is it maybe because i am using a Mac

More
01 Sep 2012 21:54 #10897 by pcar928fan
Hmmmmm....

You know when I sign on to the forum, I just click "New Posts" and I see all the threads with new posts and I read those. Have not done much else here really other than checking out the store and roadside program...

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 Sep 2012 20:53 #11006 by Ducman82
can it be changed so i dont have to hit "quick reply" to post a reply. just type in the box?

More
05 Sep 2012 22:26 #11011 by Jon B.
^^^What he said. This is the ONLY forum I've run into that has this.

More
06 Sep 2012 09:17 #11030 by Ducman82
^^^^ what he said! uber annoying.

More
06 Sep 2012 09:27 #11032 by srshaw3

can it be changed so i dont have to hit "quick reply" to post a reply. just type in the box?

I have made that change

More
06 Sep 2012 09:57 #11035 by MGW-Fla
fantastic! I found that a bit cumbersome too.

More
06 Sep 2012 10:02 #11037 by denhamfly
I would like it easier to post picture in your messages. It is probably just me, but I would post more if it was not difficult!

More
06 Sep 2012 15:55 #11049 by Kiln_Red

I would like it easier to post picture in your messages. It is probably just me, but I would post more if it was not difficult!

Oscar, you have a photobucket account right? Use your images from there as Brad and I do. Simply copy the photo link into your post and the picture will appear. Can't get much simpler than that. :)

More
07 Sep 2012 08:13 #11077 by Ducman82
ya, i v given up trying to load messages to the forum.. always to big, ALWAYS. Photo Bucket is much better.

More
28 Oct 2012 12:10 #12058 by 928mac
Should we list this thread as a tool thread for all the tools and not for just the 1

More
28 Oct 2012 12:53 #12062 by pcar928fan
Yes, I think we should have a big blue title like "Roadside assistance" or whatever that is "Tool Loaner Program" and then have each of the tools listed below when you click on that link... Does that make sense Brad?

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
28 Oct 2012 13:44 #12065 by Kiln_Red
James and Brad,

I moved your posts here for discussion. I really don't have an opinion one way or the other. I think the current format for tools is easy to follow. Maybe we could improve on their presentation. I'll wait for Stan to weigh in as I assume he came up with the current format. I am happy to make any changes. There is no doubt that we need to update what tools are included though.

More
28 Oct 2012 13:59 #12066 by Kiln_Red
Has anyone been in contact with Ed concerning the Tool Loaner Program recently? In my opinion, Ed should include a brief description about the tools with photos in the Tech Library. The fender rolling tool should be used as a model. I am happy to help Ed in any way of course.

More
28 Oct 2012 14:39 #12068 by hb4
After searching the site page and forums, I was unable to figure out how the program works. I think it's supposed to be via a posting in Technical Library. Suggest each tool have a sticky under a new 'Tool Lending Program' heading in the first level of the forum -or rename the Technical Library to Tech Library and Tools.

1st post w/pictures, instructions; follow up posts with shipping arrangements, etc. Then if I want to borrow a tool, I look at the end of the thread where I can find out who has it and make a request and arrangements.

More
28 Oct 2012 15:29 #12069 by Kiln_Red

Suggest each tool have a sticky under a new 'Tool Lending Program' heading in the first level of the forum -or rename the Technical Library to Tech Library and Tools.

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your input. I wish more would weigh in with their thoughts on any way they feel we could improve the site and/or forums.

I wanted to respond to the quoted text above. Beneath the link for the Technical Library at the forum homepage, there are brief details listing what is included in the Tech Library. Among those details, the club tools are included. Do you feel this is sufficient?

More
28 Oct 2012 17:51 #12070 by hb4
Not really. Tool loan is a real and unique benefit for members. If you look at the record of Board votes for $, Events and Tools are where most of the members' dues are spent. They should be promoted to show value to the members.

It wasn't logical to me that they were under 'Technical Library' (I admit I didn't read the small print). When I looked there, all I saw was the fender roller. I'm aware of discussions around the Beru Crimper and Kemph tool, but they're not in that forum. If the tools must absolutely be in the same forum as the list of repair links, then change the name to something more inclusive/intuitive.

By the way, Resource Links and Service Producedures(sic) should be handled as a web page, not a forum item. The forum can simply have FAQs labeled 'Resource Links' and another labeled 'Service Procedures' with the links included; after all it's unlikely anyone would want to engage a discussion about them per se.

On the other hand, tool posts can be used to manage the lending process.

More
28 Oct 2012 18:14 #12071 by Kiln_Red

Not really. Tool loan is a real and unique benefit for members.

By the way, Resource Links and Service Producedures(sic) should be handled as a web page, not a forum item. The forum can simply have FAQs labeled 'Resource Links' and another labeled 'Service Procedures' with the links included; after all it's unlikely anyone would want to engage a discussion about them per se.

The entire content of the Tech Library forum is exclusive to members. That is why we have a designated forum for it. This way, we can manage who accesses its content based upon their user ID. Of course this isn't a forum in the traditional way that we are soliciting discussion. It's just an easy way for us to manage access. That is really all.

More
28 Oct 2012 18:22 #12072 by hb4
I guess what I meant was that there really isn't any other venue that supports and manages tool loan, so it's unique to the OC and a real benefit to its members. Let's promote it and make it easy to find/use.

More
28 Oct 2012 18:46 #12073 by Kiln_Red
Okay. Ed(OBehave) manages the tool loaner program. I will ask for his input about updating our tools and how he thinks we may be able to better promote it. Maybe, when we have a wider range of tools listed, a simple announcement could be included at the forum homepage to direct members to the updated tool list. Also, members should automatically see the notification for new posts to the Tech Library as new submissions are made.

More
28 Oct 2012 19:33 #12074 by srshaw3

Yes, I think we should have a big blue title like "Roadside assistance" or whatever that is "Tool Loaner Program" and then have each of the tools listed below when you click on that link... Does that make sense Brad?

James and Brad,
I moved your posts here for discussion. I really don't have an opinion one way or the other. I think the current format for tools is easy to follow. Maybe we could improve on their presentation. I'll wait for Stan to weigh in as I assume he came up with the current format. I am happy to make any changes. There is no doubt that we need to update what tools are included though.

I did not create a new forum for the tools, as initially there was just one tool and the prior requests from members to not increase the number of forums, and perhaps to decrease the number.

My suggestions was to have a topic in the Technical Library for each tool, using the format of "$Tool - Fender Rolling Tool". As the forum is sorted by topic, this would keep all the tool topics at the top. The rest of the forum would then still contain the sorted technical topics.

I would suggest the members borrowing the tools could offer to write-up how to use them, perhaps as a thank you for having the tool to borrow. One way or the other, someone needs to volunteer, and as Ed is already handling the allocation and shipping process, perhaps someone else can offer to help him with the write-ups.

Changing the name from Technical Library to include a mention of the tools does make sense. Perhaps Technical and Tool Lending Library..... Just a thought.

More
28 Oct 2012 19:37 #12075 by hb4
Sounds good; thanks. Sorry for the rant. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing the crimper in the Technical Library.

More
28 Oct 2012 19:37 #12076 by srshaw3

The entire content of the Tech Library forum is exclusive to members. That is why we have a designated forum for it. This way, we can manage who accesses its content based upon their user ID. Of course this isn't a forum in the traditional way that we are soliciting discussion. It's just an easy way for us to manage access. That is really all.

Correct, it is easier to get a volunteer to handle a forum post, as they are familiar with the functions, rather than trying to find someone to who can update a web page properly.

Also, those topics are moderated, so posts to them should be allowed. There shouldn't be an posts to the Technical Library, except by a volunteer who is doing a specific write-up, etc.

I would not advocate having the topics of the $tools open to responses either, as eventually there would just be old conversations in there.

As Austin understands, we are using the forum software to allow more members to easily help maintain and improve the resources. I would expect at some point the website would be nothing but the forum.

More
28 Oct 2012 20:28 #12078 by hb4

Correct, it is easier to get a volunteer to handle a forum post, as they are familiar with the functions, rather than trying to find someone to who can update a web page properly.

Also, those topics are moderated, so posts to them should be allowed. There shouldn't be an posts to the Technical Library, except by a volunteer who is doing a specific write-up, etc.

I would not advocate having the topics of the $tools open to responses either, as eventually there would just be old conversations in there.

As Austin understands, we are using the forum software to allow more members to easily help maintain and improve the resources. I would expect at some point the website would be nothing but the forum.

I can see advantages to allowing the general membership to post to a specific $tool thread (but not add a thread to the sub-forum). "I want to borrow the tool", "Where is the tool right now", "Here's a good way to use the tool", "Who near me has used the tool in the past", "I shipped the tool out today", "Here's a photo of me using the tool". I guess those could be handled by PM or Technical Discussion, but why not collect them in a single thread. It might make the job of the tool manager volunteer a little easier by using the forum for these interactions. He would just need to monitor the $tool threads. Hopefully Ed will chime in soon.

More
28 Oct 2012 20:41 #12079 by Kiln_Red
As Stan indicated, I think moderated posts should be allowed to each tool thread. Just my thoughts.

By the way, thank you for your feedback and thoughts. While we all might not agree on certain proposed changes or details, I happily welcome constructive discussion such as this.

More
28 Oct 2012 23:34 #12086 by pcar928fan
I agree with hb4. There needs to be a specific "Tool Loan Program" thread (if you prefer to call it that). It would be a big blue bullet point just like "Roadside..." or "Members 928's" or any of the other "threads" or if you prefer to call them "forums" so be it. I don't care what you call them, but when you go to the 928 Owners Club Forum that should be in the "members only" section and it should be SUPER easy to find and it should be free standing. Moderate them if you like...not a bad idea.

I am not sure why folks would say there are to many threads/forums here. There are what, 12?! Spare me, every other 928 forum out there has a zillion threads and a zillion posts in each thread.

Our site is easy to use but because we try and clump so much together to keep the "thread count" down no one knows where to post a new topic/thread.

Having a "928 Journal" (as I have called it but really it is just a place to deposit members full length articles) and a "Tool Loaner Program" bullet under the "Members Only" area should be a piece of cake and should make it easier for folks to navigate IMHO.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
29 Oct 2012 04:31 #12089 by Kiln_Red
James,

I favor Stan's suggestions of possibly changing the title of the forum. Just looking at it realistically for a second, how many tools can we estimate will be in the tool loaner program? 20? 30? If we begin another forum just to list the tools by themselves we will have another non discussion forum that will include like 1 page, maybe 2 pages of content.

I can recall the same feedback Stan eluded to where members were suggesting we had too many forums. I can understand where they might be coming from. That is why I made the recent changes that I did and I felt it was justified by the amount of cross posting that was taking place. Also, I can understand the way the Tech Library was assembled. For someone who is looking to borrow a tool it is probably convenient that the service procedures are listed in the same forum. Seems logical to me.

I don't think the goal is keeping the number of forums to a minimum but, rather, to make sure that the forums are easy to navigate. I have no problem beginning a new forum if it clearly includes unique content from the other forums. Of course a 928 Journal forum passes this test, so I am not talking about that. As an example, we recently had 3 technical forums. The Tech Library, Tech Tips, and Tech Discussion forums. I can't tell you how many posts I have moved from the Tech Tips forum to the Tech Discussion forum. The Say Good Morning thread was a more obvious duplicate of the General Discussion forum. That is why we collapsed it. So it isn't all about consolidating the forums. It's about making them user friendly. If we have 30 forums that everyone easily understands how to use and their purpose, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. I certainly wouldn't.

I am happy to post a thread, including a poll, where members may vote on whether to include the Tool Loaner Program in the Technical Library or not. Just let me know if you agree that this is a good idea. Understand that the above are just my thoughts. I honestly don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. We all share the goal of advancing the club and forums of course. I am for making any changes where there is a consensus feedback obtained from the members. :)

More
29 Oct 2012 08:01 #12091 by OBehave

Has anyone been in contact with Ed concerning the Tool Loaner Program recently? In my opinion, Ed should include a brief description about the tools with photos in the Tech Library. The fender rolling tool should be used as a model. I am happy to help Ed in any way of course.

I just received an e-mail from James as I was leaving Saturday for the Wilbraham event about this subject.
I have a basic idea as to how I would like to list the tool program and this morning replied to James. It will be a little rough getting it put together and implementing but will smooth out as it goes.
I will be using the rolling tool description that Gary made as a template for the tools that follow.

More
29 Oct 2012 13:47 #12097 by OBehave
I just uploaded the Crimping tool description in the Technical section and it should be available as soon as admin has time time check it.
While at the Wilbraham Tech Session this weekend, I had the opportunity to ask people about their thoughts and concerns about this program and the OC website etc. It seems the same question arises is, "why cant it be like Rennlist?" It seems that most people think this website is "clumsy" and "complicated". The say good morning here thread seems unneccessary as you could say that in the general forum. Simple and small seems to be the norm instead of too many choices or places to converse. Events could be posted at the top of the forum with stickys and discussed in the general forum without having to go to a special section. Also the home page of the site and links to previous events from there are outdated and appear forgotten. I didn't realize there was a homepage until someone told me the page that opens up when you type in the web address to the OC.
Personally I don't think it's too bad but I do understand others feelings and if the majority feel it needs to be changed, then it should be. I also asked if any of them would like to help in implementing that change or get more involved in helping make any changes any where and the answers were things like, "if I had time" and "life always gets in the way". Just an observation I wanted to pass along.
As far as the tool program, I would like to have a separate thread or topic similar to the Roadside Assistance thread where I can post the basics of the program, how to borrow a tool and what tools we have along with their pictures and instructions. I don't like the idea of writing a separate post stating all of that info on each tool. I would also like to see people have the ability to post their experiences with the tools,program etc. as well as discussion about making the program better or what tools they would like to see added or even donate if they so choose.
So, What do you think?

More
29 Oct 2012 14:21 #12098 by Tass 928
I would like to see the event notices and discussions posted in the general forum so they are open to the public. Non-members are more likely to attend an event if they can see pics and discussion about previous years and get a feel for what goes on at these events. No, we don't need a r-list clone, but that is one thing that certainly works well over there. Stickeys also help a lot.

Is there a down side to this idea that I am not seeing?

thanks
Tass

More
29 Oct 2012 14:52 #12099 by srshaw3

I would like to see the event notices and discussions posted in the general forum so they are open to the public. Non-members are more likely to attend an event if they can see pics and discussion about previous years and get a feel for what goes on at these events. No, we don't need a r-list clone, but that is one thing that certainly works well over there. Stickeys also help a lot.

thanks
Tass

Just to explain why it is setup as it is. It could be changed:

Events are to be listed in the Calendar (available to all from the main horizontal navigation bar). The event discussion forum was intended for event planning where members would communicate about who was bringing what, and how many, etc.

More
29 Oct 2012 14:54 #12100 by srshaw3

As far as the tool program, I would like to have a separate thread or topic similar to the Roadside Assistance thread where I can post the basics of the program, how to borrow a tool and what tools we have along with their pictures and instructions. I don't like the idea of writing a separate post stating all of that info on each tool. I would also like to see people have the ability to post their experiences with the tools,program etc. as well as discussion about making the program better or what tools they would like to see added or even donate if they so choose.
So, What do you think?

As you are running the program, if that is what you want, then you should get it :D I think your willing to do this is simply wonderful. Thank you!

More
29 Oct 2012 15:44 #12101 by OBehave

Events are to be listed in the Calendar (available to all from the main horizontal navigation bar). The event discussion forum was intended for event planning where members would communicate about who was bringing what, and how many, etc.

Until just now, I never even knew there was a calender! Wow, I'm getting old. I don't see as well as I used to.:eek:

More
29 Oct 2012 15:49 #12102 by Tass 928

Is the calender a discussion area?

If a non member were to discover it there, could they see the post-event coverage that might lead them to attend the next one? Or could they see that a member is driving in from their area and looking for others to caravan?

If I were a newb and just purchased my first 928, it is logical that I would go looking for an 928 owners club site. Any other german car forum would be a 2nd choice. I see this as an advantage. If the club is going to sponser events, why not get the most value from those dollars and try to drive non-members to those events?

I'm a creature of habit and I look at all of my motor related sites ( boats,cars, bikes, tractors etc ) the same way. I never looked at the calender tab until Stan mentioned it. Generally, I feel the site and the forums are fine and it took someone (Stan ? thank you :) ) a lot of work to get it this far. I think we should make some small adjustments to make it a more effective recruitment tool.

thanks,
tass

More
29 Oct 2012 15:55 #12103 by Kiln_Red

thanks
Tass

Tass,

I just changed viewer access to the Event Discussion forum to include anyone, member or not, a few days ago.

More
29 Oct 2012 16:26 #12104 by srshaw3

Until just now, I never even knew there was a calender! Wow, I'm getting old. I don't see as well as I used to.:eek:

You are not the first to not notice it, perhaps we need members to volunteer as guides and show newbies around :)

More
29 Oct 2012 16:35 #12105 by Tass 928

Tass,

I just changed viewer access to the Event Discussion forum to include anyone, member or not, a few days ago.

Thank you Austin :)

and thank you Stan for explaining the original set up.

More
29 Oct 2012 16:38 #12106 by Kiln_Red

I will be using the rolling tool description that Gary made as a template for the tools that follow.

I just uploaded the Crimping tool description in the Technical section and it should be available as soon as admin has time time check it.
While at the Wilbraham Tech Session this weekend, I had the opportunity to ask people about their thoughts and concerns about this program and the OC website etc. It seems the same question arises is, "why cant it be like Rennlist?" It seems that most people think this website is "clumsy" and "complicated". The say good morning here thread seems unneccessary as you could say that in the general forum. Simple and small seems to be the norm instead of too many choices or places to converse...

So, What do you think?

First of all, Ed, thank you for the newest submission to the Tech Library. I have approved the new tool thread and will adjust your account so that your posts there will not need moderator approval in the future. Thank you for volunteering to run the program and updating the tools!! :D

I quoted the above comments because, honestly, I am not sure what your opinion is with regard to how we include the tool program into the forums. You state that you will be following Gary's template for including new tools as a new thread. Also, you mention how many others want the forums to be simplified. By the way, we just did away with the Say Good Morning forum. Lastly, I believe you are suggesting that you want your own forum. I wouldn't necessarily call this a contradiction of the prior suggestion but, clearly, the two thoughts are in conflict with one another.

Since you are the executor of the tool program I will stand by whatever you choose and will do whatever I need to, to help. I am not at all meaning to pick on your above comments. As I have told Stan in the past, I am very conservative in style. I don't like making mistakes. And mistakes are easy to make when changes are made with an unclear understanding of how or why we're making them.

Thank you Ed for all that you do!!! :cool:

More
29 Oct 2012 20:05 #12113 by hb4

My suggestions was to have a topic in the Technical Library for each tool, using the format of "$Tool - Fender Rolling Tool". As the forum is sorted by topic, this would keep all the tool topics at the top. The rest of the forum would then still contain the sorted technical topics.

The mechanism for always having a post at the top of a sub-forum is to make it a Stickey. See the Site FAQ .

With the $ method if you click on a heading other than Thread/Thread Starter it sorts the threads by the heading title and the $ posts are not necessarily on top any longer.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!