6 1/2's fit in the back! They really do

More
23 Feb 2011 20:22 #3662 by mm928
I didn't think this post was really technical in nature so feel free to move it as appropriate. But after some searching on various lists and getting up the nerve I gave new rear seat speakers in an 83 a go. It worked so well I thought I would offer some pics and comments.
I know there is a lot of info on the later models which have more speakers, but not as much on 83's and below. I am really pleased and it makes 100% difference in the sound, especially given our Sharks propensity for loud rumbling exhausts! I love our exhaust etc. but every once in a while (when you are behind a creeper or in traffic) you need TUNES!

Ok so here is the general narrative, then I will post the pics below it.

Note - This is for a 1983 model, so we have the perforations for the speakers. I am thinking this is probably good for models prior to this and maybe 84? Not sure about that but the pics should help.

Turns out the front and rear speakers were all replaced by the PO. They put in what they thought would fit, but they sounded bad by themselves. They were small Pioneers. Fine for news or talk radio I guess.

I have added a post further down because I could only upload 5 pics per post - there are two more there. You can see below that the perfs did not match the actual speaker placement. I have the Grills on now and they are black. So it goes with my Blue/Black interior pretty well.

Pioneer TS-G1041R - 4 inch round with a separate tweeter mounted in the center. These will work fine as mid-high but awful for anything else. Since they were all new, I kept the ones in the front door. So that looks like factory. So if you want these up front, they should fit. I did not install them like I said, in fact I think Best Buy did from the records I saw.

For the rear I decided that I would mount a larger speaker and use grilles, this is my dream car, not for show or historical accuracy. But of course I want it to look good as well.
Infinity 6.5 inch round - Model 6032cf. These come without grills, but you can buy the grills for 20 more bucks....sneaky huh? No problem however because I found them on Amazon for 55.00 and free shipping! They are 99 at Crutchfield.
Cool things - they have a movable tweeter that pokes through the grill. You can turn it so it does not point directly at the back of your seat as much. They also have a 0 or + 3db switch on the tweeter. I use the + 3db and it helps the highs pop up from the back seat area. They have nice tight cones to help the bass. This is important for us because we have very little body cavity for the bass to bounce around in. The speaker has to do most of the work.
Super Cool thing - speaker depth is just fine with NO spacer needed. This is primarily because you are mounting from the top, and the factory speaker depth is measured from the back where they are mounted (as were the replacement Pioneers). This is the BIG problem with our rear seat area, as you can't have bigger speakers without increasing the depth for the larger magnets. That said, the Infinity's do not have a big depth anyway I don't think.

Starting Point and Tip #1 combined
Luckily I guess, I decided to cut through the middle of the speaker perforation on the outside before I took everything off. Guess what :eek: the perforations DO NOT line up with the actual speaker! (maybe it was just mine but in case this is common, beware).

Step one - of course - you will have to take the rear side panels off to do this in a fairly easy manner. There are posts that describe this and it is in the Shop manual as well. It is not too hard except I found that removing the rear seat backs to be excruciating.....otherwise not too bad really, just be careful as there are the clips on the top that may get broken. I am looking into industrial velcro to replace them to make it a little easier next time.

So Tip #1 is - The perforations for the rear speakers are pretty much a 5 inch circle. Cut out the perforations carefully. It will reveal the special board they use to make the panels (with holes in it as well for the speakers.)
Step #2 - Draw a line 1st or or freehand cut the hole out (yes, carefully from the outside) with a Dremel or similar tool to a circumference of 5 inches. You can't go much bigger or the speaker will not cover and you cannot go smaller because the speaker will not fit into it. The Infinity's have a back side circumference of....5 inches (how about that).

So if you do this correctly the speaker will fit into the hole allowing for the screws to go though the panel board securely.

Note - You will have to Dremel through the plastic and maybe screws etc from the factory install as well as the much easier panel material. Remember the perforations are likely not lined up with the actual old speaker mount and your goal is to cover the perforations completely with the new speaker grills for a more factory look. So have plenty of cutting wheels available as you will likely need a few. Just go slow, it will work.

Optional - but I found it helped A LOT - put some sound deadening material behind where the speaker will go. I use eDead 80 and cut a rectangle, bent it and carefully slid it (it will stick to anything it touches) through the opening and it stuck fine to the body metal. This really tightens the base up in the shallow body work.

Once that is done, you should pre-mount the speakers in the panel before you put the panels back in to make sure the screws go where you want and grip well. You will likely need to find your own screws that will fit through both the covers and the speaker ring. Mine did not come with any and the grills don't snap on, the screws go through them! So check your depth and screw sizes first. Put the panels back in place without bolting in yet, run the seat belt and speaker wires to the new speakers, make sure of clearances and lining up, then bolt back into place......

VOILA! Your new speakers await merciless testing with your favorite music.
I will be posting the pics as soon as I finish cropping and making them smaller. I hope to have them all up by this weekend.

If you have any questions or if I left anything out....just let me know and I will try to answer. The speakers are perfect for the rear area really and I am very happy with the result. I also have the 200 watt Infinity sub in the back. I mix the sound a little toward the larger rear speakers since the front are so close to our head.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/3783=405-IMG_0094.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/3783=406-IMG_0095.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/3783=407-IMG_0096.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/3783=408-IMG_0097.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/3783=409-IMG_0099.jpg[/img]

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2011 07:08 #3667 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic 6 1/2's fit in the back! They really do
Interesting Michael. I recently replaced both speaker pairs in the rear of my '88, but they didn't have the perforations. I'll be interested to see your pictures. As you may have found, there are severe size limits on this site, so you have to host them elsewhere - I use Photobucket and then put in the [ IMG ] codes.

More
24 Feb 2011 07:58 #3669 by WyattsRide
Replied by WyattsRide on topic 6 1/2's fit in the back! They really do
Nice write up Michael. Seems there are a lot of speaker replacements going on right now. Non for the same year 928 so every experience and method is a little different. We should have an section of this forum just for speaker and stereo write ups with them separated by model year.

I look forward to seeing your pictures. Like Martin said, I use Photobucket to host my pictures as well.

More
24 Feb 2011 13:53 #3672 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic 6 1/2's fit in the back! They really do
Should go in the Technical forum I think... While it is not a mechanical part of the car it is certainly technical in that you have to take out various interior bits to make this happen!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
24 Feb 2011 17:08 #3679 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic 6 1/2's fit in the back! They really do
Hey where are the pictures

More
24 Feb 2011 18:13 #3682 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic 6 1/2's fit in the back! They really do
Yea, we want to see the promised pics of this install!!!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
24 Feb 2011 22:20 #3686 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic 6 1/2's fit in the back! They really do
Pics are coming, I had TKD tonight so I will get them up Fri or Sat latest. It does take some work to resize for the site. I may use something else, we will see.

I also have a nice pic of the Universal Iphone holder I installed - works great.

I am also putting in a new Deep Cycle D34 Optima battery and new spark plug wires this weekend. More stuff on the way from Jager and Garage9 as well.

Talk to you soon - time for bed :)

Ok its Saturday already - here are the last two pics. You can see the actual depth is pretty shallow when you top mount.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/3807=410-IMG_0100.jpg[/img] [img]media/attachments/3807=411-IMG_0101.jpg[/img]

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!