It's a Great Day

More
05 May 2011 08:31 #4703 by Boulet
It's a Great Day was created by Boulet
Some of you OCer's I've talked to know I bought a 79 project car out of a barn in Maine shortly before Christmas. The car's owner had passed away so and it hadn't run since the early '90's. The funny part is I was actually looking for a 914-6 that didn't require a lot of work (no time for a project was my thinking and the wife wanted a convertible), instead my curiosity got the best of me! The 928 was from California and seemed in good original condition and the price was right.
After I took possesion I made certain it would run and once it did I wanted it to be reliable. I figured I would change timing belt and waterpump and quickly found a source for parts, well.....
My parts arrived on Saturday, after more than 16 weeks! Oh well, it gave me a chance to degrease and thoroughly clean motor, redo brakes and some other projects. Last night I finally finished putting the car back together (last night was timing belt/water pump/tensioner). I started the car around 10:00pm and kept a close eye on it and then put it back in the garage without waking up the kids. This morning I, literally, took the car for my first drive....wow, I can't
wait for more! I live on a semi-private road-mostly family owned but not long enough to get out of 1st gear but what a Great Feeling!! The next step will be to register it as an antique and drop it off at body shop to spray the front bumper. As for the 914-6, I believe I found a more interesting Porsche and my wife now has a Volvo C70 hardtop convertible!
Have an Awesome Day 928 peeps!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2011 08:37 #4704 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic It's a Great Day
Great story, thanks for sharing. Enjoy the 928!

More
05 May 2011 09:15 #4705 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic It's a Great Day
A great story indeed - thanks! Now for some pics please.

More
05 May 2011 13:26 #4708 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic It's a Great Day
LOVE SAVES LIKE THIS! Keep up the great work and enjoy that beauty! Share pics as soon as you can!!! Can't wait to see it. There are many parts suppliers for 928 parts...just to name a few: 928 International, 928 Speicalists, 928sRus and 928 Motorsports. YMMV on each of these, but I have worked with all of them except 928MS (Motorsports...just have not needed any of the performance parts they specialize in).

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 May 2011 15:08 #4713 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic It's a Great Day

Some of you OCer's I've talked to know I bought a 79 project car out of a barn in Maine shortly before Christmas. The car's owner had passed away so and it hadn't run since the early '90's. The funny part is I was actually looking for a 914-6 that didn't require a lot of work (no time for a project was my thinking and the wife wanted a convertible), instead my curiosity got the best of me! The 928 was from California and seemed in good original condition and the price was right.
After I took possesion I made certain it would run and once it did I wanted it to be reliable. I figured I would change timing belt and waterpump and quickly found a source for parts, well.....
My parts arrived on Saturday, after more than 16 weeks! Oh well, it gave me a chance to degrease and thoroughly clean motor, redo brakes and some other projects. Last night I finally finished putting the car back together (last night was timing belt/water pump/tensioner). I started the car around 10:00pm and kept a close eye on it and then put it back in the garage without waking up the kids. This morning I, literally, took the car for my first drive....wow, I can't
wait for more! I live on a semi-private road-mostly family owned but not long enough to get out of 1st gear but what a Great Feeling!! The next step will be to register it as an antique and drop it off at body shop to spray the front bumper. As for the 914-6, I believe I found a more interesting Porsche and my wife now has a Volvo C70 hardtop convertible!
Have an Awesome Day 928 peeps!

Wow I agree with everyone else, what a great story and 928 save.
They are an old super car that will still get out and show up 90% of the new stuff.
Each of the venders carry and sell a little different range of parts as James said.
Some of them overlap as they sell the same so it just dependes who you call.
Asking James or someone here privetly by e-mail may save you some time and money.

I would recomend that you complete your profile by puting your car and /or some info in your signerature line.
If you haven't already then you need to open your very own Profile Thread where you can post your pictures and details as you repair and cusomize your car to your taste.

Brad

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!