'Toothed Belt Service' warning...

More
23 Oct 2012 13:46 #11952 by Cu++er
I already have a PKT in my 90GT, but today received two warnings 30 seconds apart that said 'Toothed Belt Service'. I cleared the alarm and immediately turned around and slowly headed home. It was 7 miles, & the alarm never went off again. The PKT is supposed to be auto-adjusting, so am I seeing an invalid alarm warning? My Timing Belt is coming up on the 30k miles mark.

I think it critical to tell you that this is by far the coldest morning of the season so far, so I question if that played some part on how the hydraulics of that PKT functioned.

I am hesitant to crank it back up, now that it is back home in the garage. I believe we will pull the front cover and inspect all, first.

Any input is by far welcome. I've never had this happen before, and worry about treading on thin ice with such a critical component...

Thx in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2012 15:39 #11953 by Kiln_Red
Ken's tensioner doesn't utilize the warning light.

More
23 Oct 2012 20:31 #11955 by the flying scotsman
The OEM belt warning system works by breaking an electrical circuit (ground). This circuit is permenantly grounded with the Porkensioner installed so if the light is coming on then its to do with grounding and nothing to do with the belt.

Research Kens write up of installation and youll see how the system is supposed to corectly grounded........let us know.

More
24 Oct 2012 09:37 #11958 by Cu++er
Is there a quick and easy way to check the Timing Belt, without spending hours pulling everything apart? Or do you think I even need to be concerned, based on the fact that PKT doesn't utilize the sensor anyhow? I wonder why it has not been in alarm, up until now.

More
24 Oct 2012 10:50 #11959 by Mike Frye
There's nothing on the Porkensioner to trigger the alarm, so if you're checking the belt because the alarm went off, there's no reason to.

Checking the tension on your belt shouldn't take hours. You only need to get behind the passenger timing belt cover which is maybe a 15 minute job.

- remove passenger intake tube
- remove pax distributor cap with wires connected and pull them back out of the way (may have to move the pax ignition coil, not sure on the 90) alternately unplug wires and remove cap, the timing cover is marked with the cylinder number that goes on each plug so you get them back on in the right place even if the decal with the diagram is missing from the radiator of your car.
- remove distributor rotor (may not be necessary to clear the cover, I just always do because it's right there.
- remove bolts holding timing cover in place, remove cover and check tension.

Clearly there is something wrong with the way it was grounded but that light bulb might as well be removed from your dash since it can only be one thing now: malfunction in the disconnected monitoring system.

More
24 Oct 2012 11:15 #11960 by the flying scotsman
The tbelt tension has to be checked with the engine @ TDC #1 cylinder........if not you'll get wrong readings plus with a Porkensioner theres nothing to adjust...........IF the belt is loose its worn out!

The warning light, in this situation means nothing!

More
30 Oct 2012 18:13 #12151 by Normy1
I would buy the tool and check the belt tension before I drove that car. Porken's work is outstanding, but that belt is still that belt, and it might have stretched for some reason. Checking it costs nothing; Rebuilding your heads and possibly replacing some pistons can be THOUSANDS of dollars. Every 928 owner should have the belt tension tool. I keep mine in the rear glove compartment at ALL times.

More
31 Oct 2012 18:59 #12221 by ROG100
As already said the wire for the warning system is shorting from ground for some reason (come loose) causing your light to come on.
Waste of time checking the tension with a Kempf tool as the tension is already correct with the PKensioner.
A quick visual ispection with a flashlight down the snorkel hole to check belt condition and roughly central position on the cam gear will suffice.
Find the warning sytem wire and check where it attaches to the engine.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!