Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage

• GlennS
  • GlennS's Avatar Topic Author
More
17 Oct 2010 16:19 #1683 by GlennS
I have rust at the bottom of the rear hatch glass and the bottom of the driver’s side rear quarter panel. I took the car to the shop I normally use for body work to get an estimate for the repair. The owner of the shop told me he was really hesitant to do the job. He is concerned about either the hatch or quarter panel glass breaking during removal. He said to repair the car properly would require removing the glass. I located a glass outfit that will go to the body shop and do the glass removal and installation. However, considering the concern of the body shop guy I want to be prepared for the worst.

I understand rusting at the bottom of the hatch glass area is common because water naturally collects there so I’m hoping someone has some experience getting this job done. If so please tell me what you’ve learned from your experience. Also does anyone know the cost to replace the rear hatch glass or any other glass? Do you have a recommendation for a source to get replacement glass?

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Simpson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2010 20:51 #1691 by SeanR
Removing the hatch or quarter glass is, by far, the most simple glass removal on the car.

Replacements are all over the place and that will not be a problem, so don't sweat a break. If they break it, they shouldn't have your car to begin with.

For removal of the hatch glass, pull the inside trim including the rear sun visors and the above roof liner (hatch only). Under there, you will find a million screws, take those out (hold downs for the hatch window). Then all they need to do is slowly move it off the hatch. It does have sealant, but it is not that strong, and running a wedge in there will seperate the glass from the hatch. Resealing has to be done properly, but shouldn't be an issue with anyone who has done glass before.

The Quarters are bit harder, but easily done. Start from the inside, by pushing the seal outward at any point, the seal contains the window, and by folding the inner seal over the body edge. Once you have a section going, following the contour of the window, pushing the seal out, you will be fine.

Installation is the reverse and I use weed wacker line to do both the window seal and the window trim. Using a spray bottle with soapy water helps with both.

More
10 Nov 2010 10:52 #1940 by rluvsporsche
Replied by rluvsporsche on topic Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage

Removing the hatch or quarter glass is, by far, the most simple glass removal on the car.

Replacements are all over the place and that will not be a problem, so don't sweat a break. If they break it, they shouldn't have your car to begin with.
QUOTE]

SeanR
Your absolutely right they shouldn't have the car to begin but it’s difficult to find a place that really knows 928’s since there rare and few around. If you ever do this again do you mind doing a DYI in video or other on this procedure?
I've never found a body shop around here that could say they can remove these glasses without breakage. Everyone tells me the same even the body shops that work on Porsche.

Thanks
Ariel

More
10 Nov 2010 11:52 #1941 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage
Any ham fisted body shop moron should be able to get the qtr glass out w/o breaking it... Trust me I have seen some of these guys. They can't find their butt with both hands, but they can get that quarter glass out w/o breaking it. The hatch would be more of a concern just because it is such a HUGE heavy piece of glass.

Sean is correct, you can find this glass just about anywhere... You will likely need new seals around the QTR glass though so budget for that. I think passenger side is a bit over $100 but drivers side is more like $200 for some reason...

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
10 Nov 2010 13:41 #1944 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage

Any ham fisted body shop moron should be able to get the qtr glass out w/o breaking it... Trust me I have seen some of these guys. They can't find their butt with both hands, but they can get that quarter glass out w/o breaking it. The hatch would be more of a concern just because it is such a HUGE heavy piece of glass.

Sean is correct, you can find this glass just about anywhere... You will likely need new seals around the QTR glass though so budget for that. I think passenger side is a bit over $100 but drivers side is more like $200 for some reason...

Thats because one is a lefty and one is a righty he he he

More
10 Nov 2010 13:45 #1945 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage

Any ham fisted body shop moron should be able to get the qtr glass out w/o breaking it...

I may resemble that remark.... but I have removed both rear quarter glass and hatch glass without assistance and without damaging them :D

I have heard the same can be done with the windshield glass, but not yet by me :eek:

More
10 Nov 2010 15:12 #1946 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage
Here is a link to the rennlist 3rd coast event and on page 17
(now get this) post #666
they show how to remove the rear 1/4 glass because someone locked their keys in side.
forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...ndars-please-17.html
Ha Ha Ha wish I would have thought of this a few months ago when I locked mine in the car in my drive way :rolleyes:

More
10 Nov 2010 18:38 #1947 by pcar928fan
Brad, that is exactly what I was thinking about when I read this post.

Stan, front windshields are different. They are put in much more strongly and are really not designed to be removed as one piece. Sometimes folks can get them out w/o breaking them but that is rare on a windshield for sure.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
10 Nov 2010 19:15 #1948 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage

Stan, front windshields are different. They are put in much more strongly and are really not designed to be removed as one piece. Sometimes folks can get them out w/o breaking them but that is rare on a windshield for sure.

I got real close with one, by using wire to break the seal, but I was impatient and when it was close started prying it out, it came out in the area fine, but windshields don't flex (no surprise there), so being a bit stuck and crrraaaaccccckkkkk.

More
12 Nov 2010 14:10 #1977 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage

I wish I had a couple bucks for every windshield I've removed. Haven't broke one yet. Knock on wood.

More
12 Nov 2010 17:18 #1987 by pcar928fan
Austin, you must be GOOD! I am not sure I have ever seen a non-broken windshield removed w/o breaking it!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
13 Nov 2010 12:31 #1996 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Skittish about Body Work – Glass Breakage

Austin, you must be GOOD! I am not sure I have ever seen a non-broken windshield removed w/o breaking it!

Car pros do it every day. My father has made his living in paint & body. He's probably done 30 for every 1 I've done. I removed one just the other day from a '71 Challenger actually. The owner of the car is wanting to sand blast the entire cabin. I advised him against it but he just can't live knowing there is ANY rust showing anywhere on the car. To each their own. Anyway, I had to remove all the glass from the car. No sweat. And the install will be even easier. :)

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!