× Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

I'm new and need some advice

• Dood797
  • Dood797's Avatar Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2017 14:01 #19493 by Dood797
I'm new and need some advice was created by Dood797
Hey. So I'm pretty new to the whole car deal and I have an old 1980 Porsche 928. It's been sitting in my garage for the past 15 years. I decided to make it a project to bring it back from the dead. I know some of the simple stuff, like I need a new battery, tires, etc. and I know I need to drain the gas tank. What I'm asking about and need some advice on is what should I check out on the car and what experienced car peoples like yourselves would advise me to do in the restoration. The exterior looked great, the inside is it good condition, but the engine needs to be revived. I'm also wondering if this car will work well in the end. I don't want it to be breaking down all the time.

P.S. I originally had the idea to empty the gas tank and just use some high octane fuel to burn out the stuff in the fuel lines and what have you. Is that a good idea, or should I have the fuel lines cleaned out?

Thanks for all the help I get.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2017 10:05 #19498 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic I'm new and need some advice
I laud your interest, but be really sure this is something you want to do as it will entail a very steep learning curve if you want to do the work yourself. These were very expensive and complicated cars in their day. They can be very expensive to fix if there is a lot of deferred maintenance - which would certainly be the case with a car that has been sitting for 15 years. You will need to flush all systems and replace all rubber parts, hoses, fuel lines, belts, change out the water pump, rehab the electrical system, and much more. People usually figure on $2-5k in parts alone, depending on how comprehensive the work.

That said, they are great cars, and anything made by a human can be fixed by one with enough money, knowledge and time.

I would recommend that you have a knowledgeable person inspect the car before you start. If the coolant has gone bad then corrosion could have rendered the engine useless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dood797

• Dood797
  • Dood797's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Jan 2017 15:27 #19499 by Dood797
Replied by Dood797 on topic I'm new and need some advice
Thanks. I realize it's going to take a lot of work and money, but this has been a dream car for me seince I was little. The coolant is disconcerting. I really hope the engine is okay. Haha. It's my plan to have a comprehensive check of the car by professionals who specialize in foreign cars.

Thanks for the info. That's helpful.

More
21 Jan 2017 13:42 #19500 by rlboriack
Replied by rlboriack on topic I'm new and need some advice
I have a similar car. A 1982S ROW which sat in my garage for 19 years after I broke the clutch. After replacing the clutch and fuel pump myself (It's really very easy) I had it towed in to "Randall Kara Techniques" in Ft. Worth, TX. They did a great job of reviving it, but it required: a new fuel accumulator, fuel lines and filters, timing belt, water pump, front engine seals (cam seals, crank seal, etc.), plugs, wires, distributor cap, AC compressor and AC lines, and drier (converted to R-134), brake cylinders, master cylinder, brake lines and brake vacuum assist. The tank had to be removed and all the gunk cleaned out (The tank is very fragile and should be left to a professional since a replacement is over $1000), the alternator wiring had to be repaired, the coolant and hoses replaced, some vaccuum lines replaced. Also, when I got the car back, I noticed the odometer was no longer advancing. I pulled out the instrument pod and found that the odometer gear had disintegrated during the 19 years the car was in storage. Fortunately, a replacement is available from www.odometergears.com for less than $20.

Other things you might want to consider replacing would include the power steering lines (the transmission fluid used in the power steering is flammable, if you have a failure when the engine is hot...), the steering rack, engine mounts. If you have 5 speed, possibly the clutch, and certainly the fluid. If you have the auto, have it serviced by a professional.

I wish you luck with your project, these cars are fantastic and the engines are very reliable if maintained properly.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!