Happy 2012! The year is new

More
01 Jan 2012 01:12 #7561 by Boulet
May this be the year for all of us! May my 928 be sparkling and new!! This is my "public toast/pledge" which will hold me accountable. Last year is gone and here in Maine the winter is long. I posted my story last year about this time, new to the 928 world, of my Barn Find....a 928 built in 1978 which I resurrected. I redid a lot of the mechanicals and drove it back and forth to camp on the coast of Maine all summer. My original plan was to sell the car but I couldn't with all the fun I had driving it. So with a touch of compulsive/Hyperactive disorder I couldn't have a car that was just fun to drive and enjoy it unless it was in factory like condition. By writing this I expect to be held somewhat accountable to produce a spirited and "respectable" 928.
I drove the car this year, working out several bugs, but decided a car worth keeping should run and look as good as new if not better. With this quest I began dismantling the car in late November. The car had received one respray which was poorly done and wearing thin. After stripping the entire exterior and interior of parts, moulding, glass, etc I began soda/glass blasting the entire vehicle. At the present time the car is in a million pieces and ready to start respraying in metallic silver. My quest isn't for a perfect restoration but rather my rendition of a respectable 928 with a few updates. As soon as I figure out how to download my photos I will keep u guys posted as to the status. As for now this is just a testimonial.
Ive posted a few times and my thanks go out to all those who have helped. Projects require the help of a community at times and the 928OC seems very helpful. I check in here and there but if anyone needs any help on an early model 928 feel free to text me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll help you in anyway I can.
Does anyone know what the numbers under the dashboard stamped into the steel behind the windshield coincide with or how to decifer them? My guess is a vin code of sorts. Also does anyone know where a vin code can be deciphered? I read an article that said send your vin with a copy of registration to PCNA at an address in Los Vegas along with $30 and they would decipher it but my resources show its not a valid address. Any advice guys/gals???
-Todd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2012 01:21 #7562 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Happy 2012! The year is new

May this be the year for all of us! May my 928 be sparkling and new!! This is my "public toast/pledge" which will hold me accountable. Last year is gone and here in Maine the winter is long. I posted my story last year about this time, new to the 928 world, of my Barn Find....a 928 built in 1978 which I resurrected. I redid a lot of the mechanicals and drove it back and forth to camp on the coast of Maine all summer. My original plan was to sell the car but I couldn't with all the fun I had driving it. So with a touch of compulsive/Hyperactive disorder I couldn't have a car that was just fun to drive and enjoy it unless it was in factory like condition. By writing this I expect to be held somewhat accountable to produce a spirited and "respectable" 928.
I drove the car this year, working out several bugs, but decided a car worth keeping should run and look as good as new if not better. With this quest I began dismantling the car in late November. The car had received one respray which was poorly done and wearing thin. After stripping the entire exterior and interior of parts, moulding, glass, etc I began soda/glass blasting the entire vehicle. At the present time the car is in a million pieces and ready to start respraying in metallic silver. My quest isn't for a perfect restoration but rather my rendition of a respectable 928 with a few updates. As soon as I figure out how to download my photos I will keep u guys posted as to the status. As for now this is just a testimonial.
Ive posted a few times and my thanks go out to all those who have helped. Projects require the help of a community at times and the 928OC seems very helpful. I check in here and there but if anyone needs any help on an early model 928 feel free to text me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll help you in anyway I can.
Does anyone know what the numbers under the dashboard stamped into the steel behind the windshield coincide with or how to decifer them? My guess is a vin code of sorts. Also does anyone know where a vin code can be deciphered? I read an article that said send your vin with a copy of registration to PCNA at an address in Los Vegas along with $30 and they would decipher it but my resources show its not a valid address. Any advice guys/gals???
-Todd

Congrats Todd for the second post of the year, I beat you by 10 seconds lol

Yes that is your vin number and no you do not need to send it in.
Put your name, your car, and your vin in your signature like I have and someone will look it up for you.

Thanks for posting, and btw if you have not started a car profile, please do.

Brad
Happy new year

More
01 Jan 2012 11:52 #7563 by the flying scotsman
Happy New Year all.

The VIN was stamped on most of the sheet metal tight until the later cars when Porsche started to not stamp the fenders etc. Its a good check of earlier cars to ensure it has the OEM sheet metal :)

More
01 Jan 2012 13:54 #7564 by pcar928fan
Todd I love the enthusiasm and the plan! Keep it up! It is like eating an elephant, you just have to keep taking one bite at a time at it!!! You are taking on a big job, but one I think is worth the effort!

Happy New Year to all my 928 friends!!!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
01 Jan 2012 21:18 #7576 by Boulet
Replied by Boulet on topic Happy 2012! The year is new
Yes Brad, you did beat me but there's always next year! I've included my VIN # as well as the Body Code stamping number. Thanks for the input!

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!