Bent rim repair-where?

More
05 Jan 2012 20:48 #7641 by JeffL
Bent rim repair-where? was created by JeffL
Purchased a set of Cup 2's -Ebay, one slightly bent... looking for other's recomendations/experience in Central Tx area. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2012 21:04 #7644 by JeffL
Replied by JeffL on topic Bent rim repair-where?
Purchased a set of cup 2's on ebay. One was slightly bent. Looking for others experience/recomendations for repair in the central Tx. area.
Thanks

More
05 Jan 2012 21:33 #7651 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Bent rim repair-where?
Oh man, I don't know buddy. You may be fubared.

Maybe James knows someone that repairs rims.

Depends on how bad its bent.

Brad

More
05 Jan 2012 23:41 #7665 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Bent rim repair-where?
If you don't hear anything here or over at RL, I'll go sift through all my receipts and see if I can find the place in Dallas that did mine. I have not found a place local to Austin or SA.

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
06 Jan 2012 05:24 #7666 by babromovage
Replied by babromovage on topic Bent rim repair-where?
Great place I have used in Pennsylvania.

www.wheelcollision.com

More
20 Feb 2012 21:11 #8279 by smtcapecod
Replied by smtcapecod on topic Bent rim repair-where?
If it is just a little out of round it should be no problem. If it is broken/cracked, it depends largely on where and the intended use and on your risk tolerance.

I used a place near Boston to sort out a set of Anteras weren't resilient enough for New England potholes....that was ten or so years ago and the technology has only improved. If you want top-notch, that is probably "Wheel Enhancement", but requires shipping and pricey. For less costly- maybe ask Roger/928sRus if they have a referral, or do the old fashioned due dilligence- web search/reference check routine.

More
21 Feb 2012 21:35 #8288 by pcar928fan
My'94 had a crack in the rear CUP II and I had it repaired up in Dallas, but can't remember the name of the company. Can look it up if I need to. I don't think there is anyone in CenTX that can do a rim repair.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
24 Feb 2012 18:29 #8323 by Normy1
Replied by Normy1 on topic Bent rim repair-where?
A slight, barely visible bend could probably be safely fixed by the nearest shop. I recommend www.google.com in this situation.

Dude- think about this: Are you going to load up your woman and possibly kids into a car, and then turn down the temptation to take them to triple-digit speeds? Even if you drive alone....do you honestly feel comfortable at the speeds that this car can achieve in seconds...well above 100 mph....with a

"questionable"

Wheel? I know I don't. I was run off the road and hit a curb in my 928 in 2000, and I replaced two wheels, and that is only because a shop tested the other two and found them perfect.

These wheels are cheap, and new one's are cheap insurance in my viewpoint.

N

More
24 Feb 2012 23:11 #8327 by pcar928fan
Fixing a rim and doing it probably is no big deal for a shop that does just that! I have no hesitation driving on a repaired rim and have done so many, many times above 150 mph! '94 GTS both the stock CUP II's and the FM10's that it had on it (both rear rim issues) and my S4 with its D90 track wheels (another rear that got a pretty good bend in it when I went off track once).

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
25 Feb 2012 19:46 #8328 by Normy1
Replied by Normy1 on topic Bent rim repair-where?
This thread is really stupid!

None of us are poor. We can all afford to pay big bucks for our cars to be safe. SAFE for our kids, I was just reminded about this fact when my 17 year old son walked in the door and told me that the brakes on my '97 Ford Aerostar are puling badly.

"Dad..I think there is something wrong with "conchy van", as he set his keys on the counter of our kitchen, looking at me with serious eyes that I've only seen a few times ever. These eyes are the beginnings of the little man that i've spent 17 years cultivating.

He's my crowning achievement EVER! The van has been giving us problems for a while. The Aerostar needs pads and discs, and this cheap car deserves them I guess. The transmission needs to be rebuilt too, but that may come later.

A bent rim? Rims are cheap these days. I'd just replace it.

More
25 Feb 2012 20:28 #8329 by pcar928fan
Some are cheap some are not... most are fixable to a level as good as new, so I don't understand why fixing a wheel is such a problem. You are more likely to have problems with a 5 year old tire than from a repaired rim.

Not to mention if you are looking for CUP I's you will be waiting for a VERY LONG TIME to find ONE... D90 GT wheels are not that easy to find either.

Now when your brakes are a problem, that IS serious!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
13 Mar 2012 11:31 #8465 by rluvsporsche
Replied by rluvsporsche on topic Bent rim repair-where?
JeffL
If you haven’t found a place, check these company's.

www.wheelsamerica.com/Wheels-America-Wheel-Repair-Locations.php

I prefer this company because they come to your location and you can watch the process.

www.awrswheelrepair.com/locator.html#Texas

GL

Ariel

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!