Jan 8th Good evening 928 owners

More
08 Jan 2012 18:32 #7684 by 928mac
I hope everyone had a great weekend.
We had a nice warm weekend, and in fact it was melting today with a warm wind.

I have not got started on the car yet as it seems something else always comes up and then its either watch a movie, search the forums or both.

I have a question.
If you won, or had $10,000 to spend on your car, what would you do?

I would stick it into a paint job.

What would you guys do to your car?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2012 19:10 #7685 by pcar928fan
Hmmm.... It would depend on which car we were talking about. That said, all my cars are really nice and quite the way I want them. I might do an S/C or Turbo on one or another of them...

That would make a good dent in getting the '85 engine up and running right and installed in the race car as well as just getting the race car fully up and running as well as getting it wrapped in signal green!

With $10k you could even buy quite a decent 928 or TWO nice serviceable 928's (that each probably need another $3k of work or so).

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
08 Jan 2012 21:18 #7694 by the flying scotsman
If we lived where we could drive more then perhaps anothe car but we dont so supercharger would be what Id spent my $10k on

More
08 Jan 2012 21:30 #7696 by srshaw3
If it had to go in a 928, I would use it to make progress on the race car.

More
08 Jan 2012 21:39 #7697 by Boulet
Ok, this is hypothetical. Paint is big, but mine just went into paint shop so that's already a check off. With paint already taken care of, I'd say build a stroker engine. Crank is under $3500 but with machinist work and additional parts-yeah it would eat up the ten pretty quick.
S/C is a good option too but I'd vote for fresh stroker power!

More
08 Jan 2012 22:02 #7698 by srshaw3

I'd say build a stroker engine.

Unfortunately, building a stroker for $10k is *just* a good start. My thorough research puts the number much higher.

Now I realize some of the below aren't needed for a street motor, but not enough of it, and this list doesn't include what else is needed, as well as the expertise or labor to assemble the motor:
tbi intake with air box parts $3,000
MoTec M48 setup for 928 $2,000
32v cams profiled for racing $1,750
32v heads with 968 valves $5,000
block bored & lapped 104mm $1,000
968 pistons, HPC coated $2,000
Scat stroker crank $3,000
Oliver rods for 968 pistons $1,750
Main Bearings Grooved $750
Rod Bearings - Clevite $100
Tri-Y Headers - Jet Hot coated $1,750
dry sump pan $1,500
$23,600

More
08 Jan 2012 23:10 #7703 by Kiln_Red
I would send my entire interior to Paul to be redone in black leather and put the rest toward a new stereo. Sometime this year I need to rebuild the steering rack, replace the motor mounts and fuel lines. I'm not that concerned with the interior, but after I finish repainting it that's about all I can think of that is keeping it from becoming a truly great example of an '84.

More
08 Jan 2012 23:17 #7705 by 928mac
So we got turbo or SC, another SC, race car parts and an interior.

Anyone else want to say where they would use 10g on their 928

More
09 Jan 2012 08:21 #7711 by WyattsRide
I would definitely go for a new paint job. Mine is pretty nice, but to have it perfect and new would be a dream.

Second would be some Paul Champagne upgrades to the interior. Dash and pod mostly then maybe seats.

More
09 Jan 2012 16:57 #7716 by 87 Shark
I would spend some time getting everything right under the hood to start:
-braided steal fuel lines
-braided steal coolant lines
-new vacuum hoses
-new plug wires
-powdercoat intake and valve covers
-sharktuned
-new high flow cats and x-pipe
I would then move to the clutch, tranny, torque tube and differential just to start.

More
09 Jan 2012 17:48 #7717 by pcar928fan

Ok, this is hypothetical. Paint is big, but mine just went into paint shop so that's already a check off. With paint already taken care of, I'd say build a stroker engine. Crank is under $3500 but with machinist work and additional parts-yeah it would eat up the ten pretty quick.
S/C is a good option too but I'd vote for fresh stroker power!

Stan is correct!

You can't get a well built and built to last Stroker motor for less than $35k frankly!

You can however build a supercharged grenade for that! :)

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
09 Jan 2012 17:51 #7718 by pcar928fan

I would send my entire interior to Paul to be redone in black leather and put the rest toward a new stereo. Sometime this year I need to rebuild the steering rack, replace the motor mounts and fuel lines. I'm not that concerned with the interior, but after I finish repainting it that's about all I can think of that is keeping it from becoming a truly great example of an '84.

Depending on how much you are really talking about that might (like the Stroker) just be a small dent in the work order! I think front seats alone are like $3k or something like that... Then you will need rear seats, center console front and rear as well as door inserts and if you REALLY want to do it right, headliner, the rest of the door and the rear qtr panels! I think that is around $13k, maybe more. For sure more if you wanted to go first class and cover the dash and pod!!! It would sure be nice though! It would smell OH SO GOOD in there!! Not to mention it would look like a million bucks!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!