Clean stock looking sound system install

More
04 Mar 2012 20:39 #8406 by 19psi
Finally finished my stereo system today and it sounds phenomenal!

Just some info for anyone looking to upgrade:

Head unit is a Kenwood KDC-248U that the previous owner installed. Looks discreet yet has Ipod, USB and Aux inputs.

The 3½" door speakers were trashed, foam surrounds were long gone. I replaced them with 4X6 Sony 4 ways. Door metal had to be trimmed but well worth the effort. Mids and highs are excellent.

The stock rear speakers sound great but I still removed a panel to inspect one. These are round 4" speakers, not the oval looking speakers I'd seen someone else post a picture of. From the sound I really expected to find something much larger. The magnet is huge at 3" and quite strong as my ratchet kept sticking to it. Oddly it looked brand new, the surround appears to be butyl rubber instead of foam so it went back in. That single Blaupunkt weighed more than most boxed sets of 4" replacements I picked up in the store.

Bass was needed and I didn't want a sub sitting in the trunk area. Bought a spare tire subwoofer from a Nissan Murano off Ebay for $50 bucks shipped. I opened the case, removed the factory plug and added some wiring with quick connect terminals. The woofer is a Bose dual coil about 6" in diameter.
It looks like a factory fit inside the 928's spare tire. I left enough wire so it can easily be moved out of the way to get at the spare and battery. Quick connects allow it to be removed in seconds. When placed just right the car jack fits nicely behind the tool kit panel.

Now I needed an amp to power it (head unit has rear sub outputs) and somewhere to hide it. I bought a Legacy LA120 amp off Amazon for about $30. It's a 240 watt 2 channel and pretty small. I removed the original Blaupunkt amp and installed the Legacy in its place. Not much room to spare, RCA jacks need to be angled. All power being there made life easy...Red was 12 volt main power, brown ground and white turns it on when the stereo is turned on. Runs cool after a lot of use so I don't think there will be overheating problems under the carpeted cover.

The bass that little sub puts out is amazing and the overall sound is incredible for a stock look and little money. It's not a ricer system that can be heard thumping a block away but a clean sounding system that's still capable of vibrating the seats.

Kenwood in the dash:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Legacy amp and original Blaupunkt in comparison:

Cover back in place:

Subwoofer installed:

All cleaned up:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2012 22:35 #8407 by pcar928fan
That looks very good!

I'd like to see some close up shots of the head unit and the door speaker install!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
08 May 2012 19:27 #9107 by bvgent
Thanks for posting your efforts to make your 928 sound as good as it looks and drives.
I too am looking to improve the sound of my 1991 S4. I've already replaced the old speakers, but am painfully aware that the system needs more deep sound. I have always been impressed with Bose's ability to get good deep bass out of small speakers, so I am thrilled to hear that there is a Nissan/Bose product that will fit into my spare tire area.
Please give me more info as to what year Murano/Bose speaker you got and what if any mods need to be made to make it work.
I've been talking with the local car stereo shop and they quote over $650 for a woofer install that isn't as clean as yours appears. Thanks so much for posting your efforts. Feel free to contact me at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with any and all details you can offer that will help me to duplicate your efforts.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

More
09 May 2012 08:45 #9109 by martinss
Very, very nice. I too would like to learn more.

More
09 May 2012 23:42 #9121 by bvgent
Martinss,

I went ahead and got a used Bose 2007 Murano Speaker on eBay today to try this out. It cost me $40 + $14.95 shipping. I'll post more details as this comes together.

More
17 May 2012 15:59 #9192 by bvgent
George,

I spoke with a car stereo installer about setting up my woofer with a 100 watt single channel Kicker amp and he advised me that the Bose speaker was probably less than 1 Ohm and a 100 watt amp would probably ruin it. Did you have any issues along these lines. Your post seemed to indicate that you ran your whole system off a 25 watt/channel amp. Did you have to make any unusual mods to make the Bose speaker work? Should I just hook the Bose speaker up to the regular amp? My deck has a line for a sub woofer, so I was planning to run that to the Kicker amp, then to the Bose. I really don't know what I'm doing so any further advice you can offer would be a great help.

Thanks,
BVGENT

More
17 May 2012 19:41 #9193 by SeanR
Looks like a very clean install, well done.

More
18 May 2012 18:37 #9220 by 19psi
Hi Greg,

I got your PM and just sent you a reply. I don't recall seeing an ohm rating on the woofer but I'm pretty sure it's more than 1 ohm. I also played around with it on a home stereo receiver for a few weeks before installing it. :rolleyes:

I think most amps can accept a 2 ohm speaker so you should be fine. So far I've had no issues with mine and the overall sound impresses everyone especially since there are no visible speakers anywhere in an '82 model.

More
19 May 2012 14:54 #9249 by bvgent
George,

Thanks again for the reply. My next challenge is getting my deck out of the dash. Of course the manual cites a special tool requirement for removal, which I don't have, (Murphy's Law always works) So now I'am at a standstill until I overcome that problem.

I did open the Bose speaker cabinet and found that I have 1 speaker that has 4 wires attached to it. Prior to the speaker, the 4 wires go through a grey plastic 1 inch sq X 2 inch long something? Any idea what that is? Did yours have one?

By the way, how did you snake the wire from the passenger seat area to the spare tire well? Were there any tricks you learned, short of removing the whole back seat area? I know, I'm basically lazy.

Thanks,
Greg in Phoenix area

More
20 May 2012 00:55 #9258 by 19psi
Mine had a factory Nissan plug which I believe is what you're seeing. I removed it and extended the wiring outside the enclosure. I then added quick connect bullet connectors so the woofer can be completely removed if needed.
I ran the wiring from the amp along the inner rocker under the carpeting (other factory wires there), to the hump area, then between the cushion and hump cover to the back.
All hidden and protected, once you start running it, you'll see how easy it is.

Be sure to leave enough extra wire coiled up in the spare area to pick the woofer up and move it aside in case you need to get to the spare or battery.

From the head unit to the amp, follow the factory wiring which is in a channel.

I don't know if the stereos changed from year to year, but I think if you have a hole in each corner of the stereo, you can use pieces of coat hangers shaped into a U to unlock and remove it.

Last issue is that the jack won't fit inside the spare with the woofer installed.
Placed just right, it'll fit perfectly in the tool kit area.

More
21 May 2012 13:56 #9269 by bvgent
thanks again, George,

You were right about the grey thing. It's just a connector. I haven't tried the coathanger wire trick yet, but that will probably work with a bit of manipulation. I have a friend who is an electronics wiz coming to help me tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have more of an update after that.

Greg Elkins
1991 Silver S4

More
26 May 2012 19:06 #9317 by bvgent
Hi all,
Well, I finally got my Murano woofer and amp installed and working. It all should have taken less than 2 hours if I had known what I was doing. It works like a champ and my shark's tunes sound 100% better with some much needed low end. Now I know lots of you just want to hear the sound of our fabulous engine and can't understand why a good stereo is important, but for the rest of us a supercar just isn't complete unless you can cruise with some kickin tunes too.
Based on 19psi's input, I set out to copy his idea. First I got a used 2007 Murano Bose sub-woofer for $55 with shipping on eBay. They are not hard to find. Next I wanted an amp to drive it. I found that a Kicker 100 watt single channel amp was available and small enough to easily fit in the floor compartment next to the passenger seat. I bought the amp on eBay for only $40 with shipping from "performancelectronics". Because I didn't know what I was doing I ended up corresponding several times via eBay with "Johnny" at performancelectronics. Basically he talked me through the idosyncracies of hooking up this particular amp and once I followed his instructions to a tee, it worked totally as advertised. I can't say enough good about the terriffic customer service performancelectronics provided. Considering I had only bought a $40 item, and got free shipping, they really went above and beyond for me. I would HIGHLY recommend you give them your business too.

The bottom line was, hook the amp directly to the positive battery terminal, very easy to do since you are running a speaker wire in the same general area anyway, ground it anywhere, then connect the speaker wires exactly the way they tell you on performancelectronics' site. No need to even bother whatever existing amp you may have, since this single channel will just be running the Bose speaker. Don't try to over think it like I did. If you have an aftermarket deck like my Alpine, you will likely find green and grey wires to connect to that match the ones on the amp. I took out the deck, found the wires, using plastic twist connectors, connected two speaker wires to them (even though there were already other speaker wires attached) and ran them under the carpet in the passenger's fuse box area over to the sill box on the passenger's side. Literally, start to finish could have been 2 hours or less if I had known what I was doing. And its not hard at all. WAY worth the time and money for the sound improvement!!!! Amazing to me that everyone with a shark isn't doing this!!!! Good luck.

More
04 Nov 2016 08:20 #19344 by 83911SCDrew
Resurrecting an old thread here…

I ordered one of these Nissan sub woofers for my 928 off of eBay. Looks like the perfect solution for the time being. I have a few questions for the original poster or anyone else that has done this mod:

What are the four speaker wires for? Does this sub woofer accept a stereo signal, hence the four wires? Or is this a single Mono speaker?

Second question… Is everyone running a full signal into the sub woofer, or are you running a low pass signal only to the sub?

How much power is everyone running to the sub? I imagine 100 W should be plenty, right?

Thanks all! I'm thinking about running one of the Rockford Fosgate PBR300x1 (or x2 if this needs stereo). Has built in low pass. It's a lot of power for a tiny a,p, but I can adjust the gain.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!