Differences between 79 Euro and 82 US?

More
29 Mar 2012 08:50 #8647 by he_mech_usmc
I am looking to find out what the differences [major or minor] are between my 79 Euro and a prospective 82 US model.

Both are automatics, and I know that the 82 US "should be" Ljet. And other than the fact that this car has the S spoilers, which look factory and my 79 did not originally have any spoilers. I have not actually seen the car yet, hoping to finalize something by this weekend. By picture comparison, the interior looks "decent"

Thanks,
Josh

You can be a mechanic or technician...The choice is in HOW you fix it, not THAT you fix it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2012 20:29 #8664 by smtcapecod
Depends...Euros are not all the same so the baseline for comparison is a questionmark itself. But the variabilitiy is usually in the federalization process (if any) that it underwent when imports.

So, marker lights likely different. Gauges too. Headlights depending on federalization (if your 79 has no trim rings, be advised the headlights are desirable and probably worth some money depending on condition).

Euro may have a headlight adjustment next to driver's seat, US wont'.

K-jet v. L jet as you mentioned.

HP is different,but I don't recall off the top of my head 280 v 240 maybe? (in favor of Euro).

79 is 4.5L, 82 IIRC is 4.7L

US model probably has taller gears in rear diff, maybe 2.54 Euro 2.20 US.

Both came with the sketchy aluminum lower ball joints that require changing out.

US should not be an interference motor. Not sure on the early euros.

More
29 Mar 2012 22:18 #8679 by he_mech_usmc
Thanks Steve.

My Euro has seemingly skipped right over the federalization process...I have the 8in h4's without the chrome ring, headlight adjuster that actually works, no sidemarkers other than the ones BEHIND the front wheels...my 79 seems to be a true euro, slightly molested on the wiring side of things. As far as I know from Jadz postings the 4.5 should NOT be an interference motor.

As stated, I have not seen the 82, but the owner is supposed to get me the vin so I can run it on the decoder...there is no rear bumper fog, but it has the s spoilers...with the amount of nasty underneath where they were it appears to be original...didn't know if that was another deciding factor of US or not. I have not seen any pictures of the front end so I don't know if it's got rings on the headlights or not. The pictures of the interior are at too great an angle to tell if it's metric and german [ another thing my euro has ].

Just curious to see what happens, really interested in getting another 928, but as usual I can't count it until it sits in my driveway.

You can be a mechanic or technician...The choice is in HOW you fix it, not THAT you fix it.

More
29 Mar 2012 22:39 #8680 by pcar928fan
'82 will be a 4.5L making a paltry 219HP! Your Euro is also a 4.5L but makes something on the order of 240HP! Also the Euro should be a touch lighter.

The '82 must be a competition package car since it has the spoilers...assuming they are the rubber lip spoilers front and rear anyway. It will have slightly larger sway bars and slightly stiffer springs I think and will have the EURO S brakes. I doubt you would notice the differences other than the likely faster accel in the EURO car.

There is NOTHING special about an '82 comp pkg car unless it is known as BLU82 (which is also for sale from my collection for $65,000) or is as perfect as BLU82 is! ;)

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
29 Mar 2012 22:41 #8681 by 928mac
Hi there He-mach. What should we call you?

You should have James or someone run the vin numbers and see if you have a collector.

More
29 Mar 2012 22:42 #8682 by pcar928fan
It is a '79 so while it is special because it is an unmolested early OB EURO, it is not a VERY EARLY car because those are all '78's. Still the fact that it was never *really* federalized makes it special!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
30 Mar 2012 07:53 #8689 by he_mech_usmc
A little background on me...
My name is Josh, the screen name I chose is the same as my yahoo e-mail, which was chosen since my career path started as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic for the United States Marine Corps.

79 928 background...
"slightly" unmolested, un-federalized, non-runner that I have been wrenching on and quietly bitching about since I got it...it's taken a lot of work, but hopefully it will be running soon...

Brad...I guess you can call me crazy...thinking about another 928 before the first one is running

James...Really don't know much about the '82 unless I can get my hands on it, or at least the VIN to do some research...

Everyone...Thanks for the help, really appreciated...especially doing CIS diag....

More
31 Mar 2012 19:09 #8711 by he_mech_usmc
I had a chance to take a look at the 82 today...I was wondering if anyone would do me a favor and look up the VIN for me.

WPOJAO927CS821207

Thanks,
Josh

More
31 Mar 2012 23:59 #8720 by 928mac
I wish I could help you Josh but my first and so far my only 928 is my 89 euro.
I am sure you will do like I did and take it apart and reassemble to see what makes it tick.
I have been really impressed with the engineering

Brad

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!