Good Morning and Afternoon!

• mickster
  • mickster's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 May 2012 12:10 #9237 by mickster
Good Morning and Afternoon! was created by mickster
So I decided to stop by El Greco (Pete) from Rennlist's shop on my way back from getting my oil changed and tires rotated at the Subaru Dealer for my 2010 Forester XT. I could have gone a slightly different route but for some reason ended up going right by his shop.

I pulled in and met him for the first time.

Up on the lift is a sweet 86.5 in black with the tranny out and the rear suspension on the side. Already I feel good...

Pete let's me walk under and all around. We talk. He's got the X-pipe ready to go in and also Constantine's bearings already in and the clamp from him as well.

He shows me the PK Clamp he took out that saved his engine but smashed his torque converter...one bad crunched bearing in the torque tube was flattened on one side. It's a paper weight.

Refurb tranny is going in next week. He will replace all key parts before bolting up.

Also I start turning the rear passenger side wheel (on the ground) and tell him it feels tight. Walks over with the replacement bearing in the box ready to go in next. Said he had vibration at 3K RPM. Problem probably solved!

Told me he did the TB/WP in 4 hours flat. It's nice to know a mechanic who has experience, brains and knows exactly when to ask for help from people on RL and here.

That said I now know I can take my car to him and as an added bonus--I even get to help work on it!!!

I just found my new mechanic. While we were talking he did a full oil change on a pastor's car who was waiting. It was nice to see someone who is relaxed enough as a mechanic and does an oil change as cleanly and quickly as he did.

Yeah-I'm getting freakin' excited about my car coming!!

Once it's here we're putting it up on the lift and we'll check the end-play and release any tension. New fluids and check everything else to make the list of the now, soon and later.

Here's a guy who works on every type of car--he had in a late-model Maserati Quattroporte a few weeks ago and also a Ferrari 308. Next time it's up on the lift he's going to take shots of both cars from underneath and behind.

So the whole point of this post, besides like I feel like I'm in love and floating on air, is that 928 ownership is as much about the people as it is about the cars.

As he said the fact these cars were designed in 1971 onwards and how good they are still today says so much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2012 13:29 #9238 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Good Morning and Afternoon!
Michael, if you will shoot me his shop name and all info I'll add him to my Roadside Assistance Program deal I am doing for us all... I think you are already in there. I was doing a lot of work on it last night and think I came across your name.

We need to get 928 International, Jim Doerr's 928 Classics, my guy at TPWS here in Austin, and Sean Ratts business name/address in the system as well. Maybe Roger too for quick parts procurement.

Sounds like you have a great mechanic there! Well done!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• mickster
More
19 May 2012 13:43 #9241 by mickster
Replied by mickster on topic Good Morning and Afternoon!
Email sent. He's open Monday-Saturday. It's inside a Sunoco Station (he rents the bays from them).

More
19 May 2012 13:55 #9243 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Good Morning and Afternoon!
Thanks Michael!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
19 May 2012 13:55 #9244 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Good Morning and Afternoon!
Sounds like a good mechanic

• mickster
More
19 May 2012 14:38 #9248 by mickster
As he said, they're just cars. He's been working on them for years and he's not afraid of anything. He knows what he knows and he knows what he doesn't. That's key for me. The ones who are arrogant kill me; he's anything but. Plus I got some grease under my nails already!!

More
19 May 2012 17:50 #9255 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Good Morning and Afternoon!

As he said, they're just cars. He's been working on them for years and he's not afraid of anything. He knows what he knows and he knows what he doesn't. That's key for me. The ones who are arrogant kill me; he's anything but. Plus I got some grease under my nails already!!

Oh My God, we may have to amputate :p

• mickster
More
19 May 2012 19:21 #9256 by mickster
I went to get a manicure! :D

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!