Injectors and Shark Tune

• babromovage
  • babromovage's Avatar Topic Author
More
23 May 2012 06:56 #9285 by babromovage
Injectors and Shark Tune was created by babromovage
Well after one year I have completed almost all I had targeted.

1. Everything now works on the car (button,lights, wiper plumbing, and swithches).
2. Fuel Line Refresh
3. Vac Line Refresh
4. Cam Cover Gaskets
5. Porken Chips and rings
6. Cat delete and X pipes
7. Porken Tensioner, Timing Belt, Water pump, and all seals.
8. Fuel Pump

Now I would like to look at bringing the performance to its potential (without SC).

Any recommendations on injectors and shark tuning close to North Eastern PA?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2012 18:29 #9294 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Injectors and Shark Tune
That is GREAT work there! A shark tune will probably get that bad boy over 300hp/tq to the pavement!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• JWise
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 May 2012 20:53 #9295 by JWise
Replied by JWise on topic Injectors and Shark Tune
Can you Sharktune Porken chips or are they permanently burned? Just wondering. I have programmable PEMs that I've been Sharktuning in my 90GT.

Porken has a great thread going over on Rennlist - titled "Cam Timing Effects, 32V". In it he discusses his discovery of additional HP in the 86.5 by going away from stock and increasingly negative on the cam timing. He reports dyno verified gains of over 20rwhp. You might also benefit from some Bosch/Ford Racing 24lb Type III injectors as well.

Your list is pretty complete as far as exploiting known performance gains. The cam timing effects appear to be the latest discovery.

Here's some good reading from Porken:

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...ing-effects-32v.html

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...ed-321-rwhp-std.html

• babromovage
  • babromovage's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 May 2012 05:22 #9297 by babromovage
Replied by babromovage on topic Injectors and Shark Tune
Thanks for the insight. I have already moved to a -2 degree cam setting. Very interested in the injectors. Will this provide any noticeable performance enhancements? The car is running great I am just trying to make sure I have all I can out of her. To date I have not driven any other 928's or specifically any other 1986.5 928's.

More
24 May 2012 18:27 #9304 by pcar928fan
J-Rod, I knew about cam timing 15 years ago...or at least my mechanic sure did. Though I am not sure he got the amount and number right, we did (supposedly) go a bit negative on the timing on my '88!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• JWise
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 May 2012 22:13 #9306 by JWise
Replied by JWise on topic Injectors and Shark Tune

Thanks for the insight. I have already moved to a -2 degree cam setting. Very interested in the injectors. Will this provide any noticeable performance enhancements? The car is running great I am just trying to make sure I have all I can out of her. To date I have not driven any other 928's or specifically any other 1986.5 928's.

The newer Type II and Type III Bosch injectors offer better atomization of the fuel than the "pencil stream" from the old pintle style injectors. Not sure on HP gains, but it does seem to make them run smoother. Again, there's a good thread on Rennlist discussing this:

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...nd-some-ii-info.html

J-Rod, I knew about cam timing 15 years ago...or at least my mechanic sure did. Though I am not sure he got the amount and number right, we did (supposedly) go a bit negative on the timing on my '88!

I mentioned it as being the latest discovery as I couldn't recall it ever being discussed in the last decade or so (I've been active in the 928 community since 1998). Perhaps my memory fails me. Regardless, it wasn't mentioned on the OP's list of things he had done, so I thought I'd bring it up. :)

More
24 May 2012 23:02 #9307 by pcar928fan
Good call J-rod!

Back when I did this it was during the Porsche List days...not sure I ever even brought it up... Not sure where the mechanic got the info from...

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!