Euro engine

• MY85928
  • MY85928's Avatar Topic Author
More
17 Jun 2012 01:27 #9540 by MY85928
Euro engine was created by MY85928
Hi ..... I have a 1985 euro. Just blew the thrust bearing so the lower end is good for a boat anchor now. I am looking for a replacement engine. 1985 euro .... Please help. The car has sentimental value and I have hit road block after road block. Thanks.

Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2012 02:31 #9541 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Euro engine
Oh no Dave I am so sorry to here that.!! :(

I thought I talked about it enough that everyone would be aware of the danger of TBF.
You are going to have to watch e-bay, or Rennlist, or pelican for a parts car but I don't think you will get a Euro.
If I see one I will post it here for you.
BTW we have a classified thread, you might want to copy your post there.

More
17 Jun 2012 02:37 #9542 by 928mac

More
18 Jun 2012 11:18 #9552 by xstepson
Replied by xstepson on topic Euro engine
You COULD use any 4.7 block as a replacement. IIRC, the differences are from the heads up. (Besides the M designation on the Block ID plate)

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Think of it as a good time to reseal the engine.

More
20 Jun 2012 20:34 #9567 by smtcapecod
Replied by smtcapecod on topic Euro engine
Yeah, no.

The '85 should be a 5.0 bottom end. I don't think it is prudent to pursue putting a 4.7 underneath...not sure what the compression ratio and valve clearance would be like. Or water jacket alignment for that matter.

That said, I don't think there is a difference US/Euro in the block- aside from the stamp. I would think that swapping the pistons rods heads over onto a US block/crank would be OK.

But it would do to confirm the rod & other dimensions.

More
20 Jun 2012 20:47 #9569 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Euro engine
I do have a 5.0L crank that I had polished for my last race car motor, but I decided to go in a different direction. If you need one, let me know. I do not have any other related parts.

More
20 Jun 2012 21:28 #9570 by smtcapecod

More
20 Jun 2012 21:31 #9571 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Euro engine
Steve,

You are quite wrong... EURO '85 engines are 4.7L and I believe Big John is correct that you can use ANY 4.7L bottom end...

The COOLEST thing to do (since the damn engine is going to be apart anyway) is to build it in to a 5.0L EURO Hybrid engine!!! Use a 5.0L bottom end, and fly cut the pistons and use the EURO S top end!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
21 Jun 2012 21:28 #9580 by xstepson
Steve,
As James has pointed out, '85 Euro is NOT 5.0L but 4.7L. Compression in these engines('84-'86 Euro) is the same as GTS models(10.4/1)

My point was that the lower end on all the 4.7 engines is the same. I believe that the changes between US and Euro are in the cams, heads, intake, Throttle Body, etc. and not the block.

• MY85928
More
22 Jun 2012 12:56 #9583 by MY85928
Replied by MY85928 on topic Euro engine
So, what I am hearing here is that ALL 4.7 lowers for 928 are identical besides the stamping and that the added horsepower is all from the heads/cam....etc?

• MY85928
More
22 Jun 2012 12:58 #9584 by MY85928
Replied by MY85928 on topic Euro engine
If thats the case, then I can get a shortblock from DC automotive and put all my stuff on it...... ?

More
22 Jun 2012 18:28 #9585 by pcar928fan
I believe that is correct! Doing so would be cheaper, but you might not know much about the condition of the engine you are getting... If you go to all the trouble and then put it in and it is not right, it is going to be a time and dollar draining experience to do it again... That said, doing it twice like that would probably cheaper than building a nice high power Euro 5.0 Hybrid!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
22 Jun 2012 23:14 #9588 by smtcapecod

Steve,

You are quite wrong... EURO '85 engines are 4.7L

Yup, I stand corrected (twice).
Always more to learn, apologies for posting errata this time.

The COOLEST thing to do (since the damn engine is going to be apart anyway) is to build it in to a 5.0L EURO Hybrid engine!!! Use a 5.0L bottom end, and fly cut the pistons and use the EURO S top end!

Concur with that, too.

More
23 Jun 2012 14:51 #9589 by pcar928fan
Steve,

There is always more to learn and I was not trying to be an A$$ about it... If I came across that way I apologize! I am going to just go ahead and SAY IT OUT LOUD RIGHT NOW... I don't know everything! There I admit it! LOL!

I AM however, working on an iPhone app that knows more than me about 928's and it will be out in 2 months if all goes well as we start to see the finish line on this project... It will answer most all your questions about 928's or connect you to a place that does! :D

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
25 Jun 2012 10:52 #9600 by xstepson
The beauty of using a 4.7L block is that up until '85, the flex plate migration was SUPPOSEDLY limited by use of a system of circlips and washers. That is one reason you very seldom hear of Thrust Bearing Failure in 928's older than '85. In '85, for some reason, they discontinued the circlip/washers and the TBF became more of a problem. (my '84's have the circlip)

Of course, the downside to using a 4.7L vs a 5.0L block is the lack of low end power, but you should be used to that since you have already been driving a 4.7L.

I have always wondered why the circlip/washer assembly could not be reintoduced to the breed as more torque tubes go bad and are replaced.

Dave, I hope you get your Euro back on the road soon.

Steve, as James has already stated, I too hope I didn't come across as an a$$. Not my intention at all. Just trying to help a brother along.

More
27 Jun 2012 19:32 #9627 by smtcapecod
powerplant posted on pelican:

forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-used...parts-available.html

And thanks all for the clarifications. No offense taken!
I'm of similar mind, if I had it all down pat, I'd be bored and moving on to a different type of car to fawn and get frustrated over!

More
27 Jun 2012 21:11 #9628 by Normy1
Replied by Normy1 on topic Euro engine

The beauty of using a 4.7L block is that up until '85, the flex plate migration was SUPPOSEDLY limited by use of a system of circlips and washers. That is one reason you very seldom hear of Thrust Bearing Failure in 928's older than '85. In '85, for some reason, they discontinued the circlip/washers and the TBF became more of a problem. (my '84's have the circlip)

Of course, the downside to using a 4.7L vs a 5.0L block is the lack of low end power, but you should be used to that since you have already been driving a 4.7L.

I have always wondered why the circlip/washer assembly could not be reintoduced to the breed as more torque tubes go bad and are replaced.

Dave, I hope you get your Euro back on the road soon.

Steve, as James has already stated, I too hope I didn't come across as an a$$. Not my intention at all. Just trying to help a brother along.

4.7 liters versus 5.0 liters [286 versus 302 in my language; I was born in Detroit] isn't going to make much of a difference in torque. The intake and cams make a far bigger difference.

More
28 Jun 2012 00:16 #9630 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Euro engine
Dave my advice would be to use a stock engine.
If you want more power you and do a few mods that will help.
removing the Cats, keeping 16 rims on gives you more torque then 17"

More
28 Jun 2012 11:26 #9632 by xstepson

Dave my advice would be to use a stock engine.

+1 on that.

Normy is right. The 5.0L won't make much more (at least not significant in my mind) amount of torque. More of the extra juice from a Euro engine comes from the upper end.
The 4.7L block WOULD be significantly cheaper and at the end of the day, you wouldn't have some sort of Frankencar, but a mostly stock engine.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!