New 928 owner in Milwaukee, WI

More
01 Jul 2012 11:43 #9643 by ed45626
Greetings -- I have just become an owner of an '85 928. I've had Volkswagen's before, currently have a 2006 Mercedes E320 diesel, and this is my first foray into Porsche ownership.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good mechanic in the Milwaukee area?

Thanks!

Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2012 13:18 #9644 by 928mac
Welcome Ed, great to have you on the forum.
The main reason for the forum you can see at the top right of the header

Our sole purpose is to support owners' in their use and
maintenance of the Porsche 928s throughout the world

That being said,
you can find your closest member that can help you,
through our Road Side Assistance page (see link below)
forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=15

In our tecnical section you can find a lot of great help for maintaining your own car and
saveing you money so that you can buy more things for your car :D

Everyone finds it easiest to help when we can see what car you have,
if it is in your signature, like mine just above my name.

Have a great 928 Day

More
01 Jul 2012 22:23 #9649 by pcar928fan
Congrats and welcome! So glad to have you joining us!

It is a fun group, but I don't think we have many folks in WI...Carl Faucett of 928 Motorsports is in Horicon, WI... NO IDEA if that is close to you, but you are not in TX so how far away could it be?! LOL! I also see Tom Ehmke is in WI, Mark Janke is in DePere, Andrew Krueger in Middleton, John Pellmann and your 928OC Regional Rep is Jean-Louie Picouet. You can find Jean-Louie on the 928OC home page www.928oc.org and click on "info" tab at top right and then choose "Regional Contacts" or "Regions" I can't remember what it is from the drop down and that will show you a list of states/regions and who Jean-Louie can be found there...click on his name and shoot him an email! There are three more folks I came across in WI as well, but I won't bore you with those names. So, you have a fair number of 928OC members around and about in WI.

Jean-Louie can hook you up! Contact him for sure!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
02 Jul 2012 21:21 #9656 by mm928
Yes Welcome - definitely pics and details. Porsche ownership, especially 928 ownership I think it pretty unique and the club of owners is pretty strong and knowledgeable so just about anything you need to do, you can find the answer (or more than one HA) on how to do it. You will end up doing some work on it yourself unless you have nothing else to do with your money.. HA.

For the big or more technical jobs though, you can find help online to guide a less experienced individual or if you are lucky, an experience Porsche mech with his own garage who works on the side that can maybe be your go-to person. Really, we all just look around and ask questions and check people and places out if you don't have something to go by. Really experience with a 928 is probably one of the biggest factors. Otherwise another person will waste a lot of time trying to find some of the ghosts in the machine these things can show sometimes.

But I can easily say....it is worth it, they are really cool cars...... :)

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
02 Jul 2012 22:05 #9657 by lrpman
Welcome, these folks have helped me with "BLUE" and also the latest 1984 I am working on. Ask before you spend and when you do need something the folks who advertise or are recommended by these guys will take good care of you.

George P

More
06 Jul 2012 22:02 #9685 by ed45626
Thanks -- I'll post pics as soon as I can. I pick up the car tomorrow.

We're towing it from storage to my house -- with a 20 year old timing belt, it makes me nervous starting it! I've got all the parts for a timing belt job with the exception of the flywheel lock and tensioner tool.

The flywheel lock should be here Tuesday -- so I should be able to pull everything apart.

My goal is to be up and running by the 17th -- PCA shows there's a Porsche car night at a restaurant a mile from my house. Hopefully I run into some other 928's there.

More
11 Jul 2012 20:31 #9738 by ed45626
Here's a picture of the new toy in the garage -- time to break out the wrenches and replace the timing belt....

flickr.com/gp/82459598@N06/x762n8

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
12 Jul 2012 09:35 #9743 by denhamfly

Here's a picture of the new toy in the garage -- time to break out the wrenches and replace the timing belt....

flickr.com/gp/82459598@N06/x762n8

I am an owner of a 1985 928, mine is white also. What color is you interior and is it a 5 speed or automatic?

More
12 Jul 2012 21:36 #9753 by WyattsRide
Welcome to the club and congratulations on a beautiful car!

Since you are diving into a TB change, you should seriously consider a Porkensioner instead of rebuilding/refurbishing the OEM TB tensioner. Many 928 owners swear by it.

liftbars.com/

Check out the link above for the PK Tensioner and other items by Ken.

More
12 Jul 2012 23:28 #9757 by 928mac
Your car looks awesome Ed

More
13 Jul 2012 02:30 #9760 by srshaw3

Welcome to the club and congratulations on a beautiful car!

Since you are diving into a TB change, you should seriously consider a Porkensioner instead of rebuilding/refurbishing the OEM TB tensioner. Many 928 owners swear by it.

liftbars.com/

Check out the link above for the PK Tensioner and other items by Ken.

Nothing against PK, I have his timing tool, but I honestly do not understand the desire to have an auto TB tensioner. I think the stock system works fine, and when properly maintained is trouble free.

I heard from someone recently that its installation results in the dysfunction of the TB warning system (that advises the operator of a some problems with the belt), if this is true then I would consider that a disadvantage. Just from an experience point of view, I had the TB service done on my GT a number of years ago, and a problem was identified *after* the service because of the TB warning system.

More
13 Jul 2012 17:30 #9764 by WyattsRide

Nothing against PK, I have his timing tool, but I honestly do not understand the desire to have an auto TB tensioner. I think the stock system works fine, and when properly maintained is trouble free.

I heard from someone recently that its installation results in the dysfunction of the TB warning system (that advises the operator of a some problems with the belt), if this is true then I would consider that a disadvantage. Just from an experience point of view, I had the TB service done on my GT a number of years ago, and a problem was identified *after* the service because of the TB warning system.

I guess you can look at it both ways. Isn't "maintaining" the tensioner make it not trouble free? With the PK tensioner you don't have to worry about maintaining it once it's installed. From what I understand, it always keeps the correct tension.

More
13 Jul 2012 18:05 #9765 by srshaw3

I guess you can look at it both ways. Isn't "maintaining" the tensioner make it not trouble free? With the PK tensioner you don't have to worry about maintaining it once it's installed. From what I understand, it always keeps the correct tension.

Regardless of which tensioner you use, you should be replacing your timing belt every 5 years. While you are doing that, maintaining your tensioner is no big deal. I have to wonder about the member who just lost his oil pump nut without any warning. Would the stock TB warning have made him aware before the small problem became a big problem? maybe....

More
13 Jul 2012 19:36 #9769 by 928mac
It may have if I had got it working right as it was always coming on

More
17 Jul 2012 18:22 #9803 by ed45626
I would have changed the tensioner -- but had already purchased the idler and bushings, so I'll use them this time around. Last couple of days it's been work on it when the wife is away!

It's probably been 20 years since I turned a wrench -- had to find all the metric stuff....

More
18 Jul 2012 00:34 #9805 by 928mac

I would have changed the tensioner -- but had already purchased the idler and bushings, so I'll use them this time around. Last couple of days it's been work on it when the wife is away!

It's probably been 20 years since I turned a wrench -- had to find all the metric stuff....

ha ha ha ya it kind of sucks eh lol

More
22 Jul 2012 18:42 #9861 by ed45626
Timing belt is in!!!!

It was easier than I tought to get the teeth lined up, and after a few spins by hand and still lining up, I let the starter do the work and rechecked tension and alignment -- all is good.

Today I got everything back in place, belts tensioned and radiator filled (or mostly filled). Put a charger on it and came back to see if it would fire up....

Nope. Turns over, no start. It's sat for a few years prior to the belt replacement, and I did put new fuel in. I did jump the fuel relay (that's easy enough), no joy (and the relay checks out good).

I'm now off to get an inline spark plug tester and fuel pressure gauge to make sure those two systems are working.

More
24 Jul 2012 08:03 #9871 by ed45626
It's Alive!

Poured a little gas in the intake and it fired, so knowing ignition is good and timing is on, I replaced the fuel filter.

It now starts and runs flawlessly -- I just need to figure out how to fill the coolant. Did the two hoses, but it's still low.

I did try to set the heat to high, but it's been so hot in the garage it didn't come on. I switched to defrost (did come on) but rather than getting hot, I found out the air works -- did not expect that to blow cold.

More
25 Jul 2012 01:00 #9875 by 928mac

It's Alive!

Poured a little gas in the intake and it fired, so knowing ignition is good and timing is on, I replaced the fuel filter.

It now starts and runs flawlessly -- I just need to figure out how to fill the coolant. Did the two hoses, but it's still low.

I did try to set the heat to high, but it's been so hot in the garage it didn't come on. I switched to defrost (did come on) but rather than getting hot, I found out the air works -- did not expect that to blow cold.

Right on Ed, glad to hear it worked out.
I bet you could do it all again in 2/3s the time ;)

Brad

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!