thinking about looking at an 83...off the cuff price?

• he_mech_usmc
  • he_mech_usmc's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2012 22:44 #9783 by he_mech_usmc
First let me state that I have not had a chance to contact the seller yet to verify anything.

ad states "low miles" and "needs head gasket."

It appears to be a US model, but don't know for sure. 5 speed, and other than that I don't know a whole lot about it until I go to see it.

Right off the bat I am thinking that the asking price of 5k obo is WAY high, but again there isn't a whole lot that I know about this car.

Should be a 4.7l...and I can't remember if they are an interference motor or not...I know that my 79 isn't [4.5l]...I think I remember hearing that some are and some aren't. I am just wondering if the timing belt went or the wp instead.

Again, I understand that the information given is VERY sparse to ask price questions, but where would you start on the offers? I was thinking at least half that.

TIA,
Josh

I will hopefully be posting an update on my 79 ob shortly...other projects [85 z-28, 23k orig miles, 86 kawasaki zx-1000] are finding an end or new temporary home and will be back on the ob soon.

oh, link to the limited information ad

flint.craigslist.org/cto/3141691685.html

You can be a mechanic or technician...The choice is in HOW you fix it, not THAT you fix it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2012 15:45 #9786 by WyattsRide
It doesn't look like a Euro from the picture. So if it's not, then interference engines don't start until 85. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. :)

More
16 Jul 2012 15:58 #9788 by srshaw3
Technically I think most would agree that early Euros are not interference *but* with any carbon build-up, shaving of heads, etc. they can become interference motors.

I am not sure how Rick arrived at it not being a euro, he may be right, but if it is based on lights, that can be misleading as grey market Euros were federalized in different ways, and of course body parts can be replaced due to accidents, etc.

In my opinion, as is, it is a parts car, and could be worth as little as $500, depending on the condition of the interior, exterior, transmission, etc. etc. it might be *worth* reviving. Now before one of the many 928 fanatics get on my case, 928s are often revived without consideration to their *worth*.

The bottom line is that the possible buyers for a 1983 928 needing a head gasket are very few and far between. Once you view it, you can decide what it is worth to *you*.

More
17 Jul 2012 07:38 #9798 by WyattsRide

I am not sure how Rick arrived at it not being a euro, he may be right, but if it is based on lights, that can be misleading as grey market Euros were federalized in different ways, and of course body parts can be replaced due to accidents, etc..

Yes, just based on no side marker lights behind the front wheels. So, true about federalization and replacement parts.

• he_mech_usmc
  • he_mech_usmc's Avatar Topic Author
More
17 Jul 2012 18:16 #9802 by he_mech_usmc
Thanks guys...I'm going to call the owner to set up a time to see it...I was thinking it might be a 5k car as is with a good engine. I dont mind putting money into a car that isn't going to be worth much as long as I can do the work...I know my 79 euro isnt worth much, but it's moderately unmolested and unfederalized.

thanks again,
Josh

You can be a mechanic or technician...The choice is in HOW you fix it, not THAT you fix it.

More
18 Jul 2012 00:38 #9806 by 928mac

Thanks guys...I'm going to call the owner to set up a time to see it...I was thinking it might be a 5k car as is with a good engine. I dont mind putting money into a car that isn't going to be worth much as long as I can do the work...I know my 79 euro isnt worth much, but it's moderately unmolested and unfederalized.

thanks again,
Josh

I know how you feel. i have spent over twice what the car cost me and its not worth double.:rolleyes:

More
18 Jul 2012 19:33 #9821 by martinss
As I'm sure you know, oil in the coolant is often diagnosed as a head gasket issue, when in fact more often with a 928 it is a leak in the radiator - but that should be confirmed of course. But you could leverage the 'needs' $X of work to fix a head gasket to get a lower price and maybe com out 'ahead'

More
19 Jul 2012 18:46 #9832 by xstepson
Josh,
A non-running 928 can hide a litany of issues. (tranny, A/C, etc) Any or all of those issues can be expensive to fix. In addition, it would be best to pull the engine. The head gasket has probably rotted and done untold terrible things to the heads as well. So you're looking at basically a $300 gasket set, $400 in head work, and labor to do it all. (Your time is worth something to you I presume)

All told, from the one picture, the car looks like a nice car, and probably worth rebuilding/restoring/reworking, but not at $5K. The owner wants $5K, so lets work from there: subtract a minimum of $2K for the engine work. That makes $3K. Subtract a generous amount for anything not perfect or at least to your liking and you will probably end up around $2K. If you can talk the owner into any amount around this figure, I'd say you probably did okay (based on the one picture).

My $.02.

Go for it.

More
20 Jul 2012 19:57 #9846 by 928mac
if it turns out to start to look like a parts car, you can buy another one . . . maybe not as cheep and you have all the spare parts plus some to recoop you money from.

personally I don't have time to put the new parts on so a parts car for me would not be a wise idea

More
21 Jul 2012 00:28 #9848 by 19psi
Consider traveling a bit to find something better.

chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3152022931.html

Only $1500 (or offer!), looks decent and it supposedly "runs".

A bit more but still under $5K. I'm tempted to check this one out, might make a nice daily driver/grocery getter.
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3092734248.html

More
23 Jul 2012 17:55 #9866 by mm928
I have an 83 auto I really like. If that one is, it is indeed non-interference. Get the VIN and check it out or let us do it. 83-84 can be a very good model to own from a maint/refurb standpoint and still fun to drive.

However, that head gasket thing is not good at all. These things are built really well. Certainly could be a lot of time bombs in there if the owner is not up front and you don't know what to look for. Take someone with you in the area if you can, or pass like other say and find a better deal.

A good Euro is ....good! I would like to have one, But a bad one....yikes.

I paid much more than that 2 years ago for mine, but it was from someone I trust and the list of things that were wrong were not major, plus I got a 30/hr mechanic along with the deal....it is balancing out I think.

5K is definitely too much in that condition.
Good luck

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!