Superchargers?

More
21 Jul 2012 12:25 #9851 by Greg18621
Superchargers? was created by Greg18621
Good afternoon.

What are your opinions on supercharging? Has anyone done it?

I have an 88 S4 and am thinking about what an extra 100-HP might feel like...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2012 16:51 #9855 by Jon B.
Replied by Jon B. on topic Superchargers?
There are more options for the S4-up than any of the others really. Tim Murphy's kit is probably one of the most well known. Pretty easy to make your S4 a 500hp monster. These systems are probably the way to go if you like seeing a "proven" track record. Tim, and the "gang" usually answer questions when asked on a forum. If you happen to wander over to RL make sure you read as much as possible, and don't get drawn into the BS name calling and fights. They all like to argue over Turbo vs. Supercharger. Find what will work best for you and your car, and call it a day.

murf928.com/

There is an ebay kit as well, that seems pretty nice. It uses a Rotrex Supercharger, and the prices are very reasonable. If you are on RL you have probably seen the recent posts about it.

Kuhn performance makes a nice Twin Turbo setup, kinda pricey, but it's well engineered just like the above supercharger setup.

www.kuhnperformance.com/twin_turbo.php

Mark Robinson makes a single rear/mid-mount turbo kit for the cars too. The system itself is made by Boostlogic if I remember correctly. Mark has gone through a few iterations of this setup.

www.porschesolutions.com/

More
22 Jul 2012 14:28 #9859 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Superchargers?
No affiliation to any postings below or their links

This car is for sale and its a twin screw, no more kits out there
forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...o-twinscrew-15k.html

www.928gt.com/c-1407-928-supercharger-kits.aspx

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The Murf supercharger stages 1 and 3
www.Murf928.com/

928 Motorsports stages 1 and 2
www.928superchargers.com/

More
23 Jul 2012 17:37 #9864 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Superchargers?
That just about covers it! Good Job Brad....

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
24 Jul 2012 23:15 #9874 by Normy1
Replied by Normy1 on topic Superchargers?
"If you want a car faster than your current car, then BUY one."

-My dad.

-I'll repeat my thoughts from about 8 years ago at a website that starts with "R": "If you want a car faster than your current 928, then BUY one"

My advice to anyone that wants to mount a supercharger to their 928:

1. Don't burn a piston.

2. Don't lose your license.

My other advice:

If you want a car faster than your current 928...perhaps you should BUY it!

Get the point?

N!

More
28 Jul 2012 00:01 #9890 by xstepson
Replied by xstepson on topic Superchargers?
Actually there were 2 928s that had superchargers installed DURING the OCIC in Wichita July 13-15.
A new kit put together by Victor. Sean Ratts and Victor installed one on Sean's car and Victor and Rob?(RGS944 on RL) installed one on Rob's car.
The complete kit was installed in between 3-6 hours and it's a pretty good looking kit. Check out the OCIC thread on RL or talk to Sean at 928Docs.com or Roger at 928sRus for more details.

More
28 Jul 2012 20:28 #9897 by 928mac
Hmmm a week end warrior becomes possible. Pull it off and pass your emission test.

More
02 Aug 2012 15:00 #9945 by xstepson
Replied by xstepson on topic Superchargers?
Greg18621,
Rear mounted Turbo is also a possibility on your car. KillaV (on RL) has mounted a kit from P9 Motorsports that is seriously bada$$. It is a very nice setup, relatively complete, and easily bolt-on.

Here is the thread:
forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum...highlight=rear+turbo

His car has virtually no lag time to spool up the turbo and easily drivable.

No affiliation at all, but it's something else to look at.

More
15 Aug 2012 12:22 #10167 by OBehave
Replied by OBehave on topic Superchargers?
I have a 2.2L Autorotor twin screw on my 85 track car and I will tell you this, If you like your car now, you will LOVE your car after supercharging it! The car will have all the power and then some you thought these cars had but didn't. I am a big block Ford guy and I crave bottom end torque and that's what I got from supercharging the 928.I built the kit myself and sourced the unit from Mark Benton who was selling used 928 parts a while ago. Tuning is key and you have to know what you are dealing with before getting involved or have someone you KNOW and TRUST to tune it for or with you,or the experience may not be so good.
Ed

More
15 Aug 2012 12:59 #10170 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic Superchargers?

I have a 2.2L Autorotor twin screw on my 85 track car and I will tell you this, If you like your car now, you will LOVE your car after supercharging it! The car will have all the power and then some you thought these cars had but didn't. I am a big block Ford guy and I crave bottom end torque and that's what I got from supercharging the 928.I built the kit myself and sourced the unit from Mark Benton who was selling used 928 parts a while ago. Tuning is key and you have to know what you are dealing with before getting involved or have someone you KNOW and TRUST to tune it for or with you,or the experience may not be so good.
Ed

What he says is so true. Once you have it you won't want to go with out. The power is on instantly and only pulls harder the higher up you get in the RPM's. Tuning is the key though, don't think you can just add a S/C and go drive, installing one is the easy part.

More
15 Aug 2012 17:07 #10180 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Superchargers?

What he says is so true. Once you have it you won't want to go with out. The power is on instantly and only pulls harder the higher up you get in the RPM's. Tuning is the key though, don't think you can just add a S/C and go drive, installing one is the easy part.

Sean, you are SO RIGHT, but I can only say Ugh to that... Some day perhaps I will find the money and guts to have one put in and *PROPERLY* tuned! Now, where is my lottery ticket...I am feeling lucky tonight!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
15 Aug 2012 20:17 #10190 by Jon B.
My car will likely be getting "Supersharked" at some point HOPEFULLY in the near future. Can't wait!

More
23 Aug 2012 18:18 #10499 by Normy1
Replied by Normy1 on topic Superchargers?

"If you want a car faster than your current car, then BUY one."

-My dad.

-I'll repeat my thoughts from about 8 years ago at a website that starts with "R": "If you want a car faster than your current 928, then BUY one"

My advice to anyone that wants to mount a supercharger to their 928:

1. Don't burn a piston.

2. Don't lose your license.

My other advice:

If you want a car faster than your current 928...perhaps you should BUY it!

Get the point?

N!

My point is that the 928 is NOT the fastest car in the world. It is BEAUTIFUL, and plenty fast, but there is always someone who has something faster. Why compete?

Aftermarket superchargers are INFAMOUS for causing burned pistons at boost levels beyond 9 psi when fuel injectors or other components of the fuel system go SOUTH. This takes about 3 seconds at high boost...

Go for it if you want. Those pistons are yours to do with what you want-

N!

More
23 Aug 2012 22:07 #10510 by 928mac

My point is that the 928 is NOT the fastest car in the world. It is BEAUTIFUL, and plenty fast, but there is always someone who has something faster. Why compete?

Aftermarket superchargers are INFAMOUS for causing burned pistons at boost levels beyond 9 psi when fuel injectors or other components of the fuel system go SOUTH. This takes about 3 seconds at high boost...

Go for it if you want. Those pistons are yours to do with what you want-

N!

Hey Norm you hit the nail on the head in a way and the 928 crowd always pushes to have a well maintained car. It would have to be very well maintained when you start adding boost or it will go south before you can let your foot off the gas.

I would want a back-up built in like with my electromotive system. They use the system I have on top fuel dragsters so it must work.

More
23 Aug 2012 22:39 #10512 by Jon B.
While I agree that it's not the fastest thing in the world, and it's not going to be the fastest car in ANYONE'S neighborhood more than likely, there is nothing wrong with pushing the envelope just a tad. I want a 928 that's more up to speed with more modern stuff you see on the road day-to-day. Low to moderate boost in the 32V cars is enough to make MOST people go "WTF WAS that thing?".

The tuning aspect just cannot be overlooked. We are blessed in the community now to have things like the Sharktuner which makes tuning a boosted car that much safer. Brad's Electromotive system is great as well! Actually it's on a whole different planet, but it still comes down to that maintenance piece. Honestly, in that respect it's not unlike any other car you would be adding forced induction to. If the car isn't right, the added power will just exacerbate the problems the car may have had.

I also firmly believe that the newer systems available for the car are MUCH better engineered than they were when people were having problems left and right with adding forced induction to 928s say, ten-fifteen years ago.

More
24 Aug 2012 10:18 #10529 by DR928
Replied by DR928 on topic Superchargers?

I have a 2.2L Autorotor twin screw on my 85 track car and I will tell you this, If you like your car now, you will LOVE your car after supercharging it!

That is a fact for sure.... for those that haven't had the pleasure of owning, or spent more than 15 mins driving, a 928 with a well sorted Forced Induction(turbo or SC) system on that wonderful 928 engine, even at just a modest 5-6psi...well...you will never understand.

The car will have all the power and then some you thought these cars had but didn't.

Yes absolutely, my impression after owning dozens of 928s is that once you boost one properly(again even modestly), the 928 finally has that perfect balance of brakes, handling, AND Power. I get it and it is easy to think it has this perfect balance in stock form, but again you have to experience it to understand the difference.

I am a big block Ford guy and I crave bottom end torque and that's what I got from supercharging the 928.

Another thing we have in common, always have loved big block Fords (small blocks too)....during the years of SC development and after I finally got out of the habit (due to excitement) of each test drive being a balls to the wall wide open a hard as I can thing...and relaxed and drove the boosted 928 normally...the feeling of being in large sweeping turns cruising in 5th gear near the speed limit of 60 or so...and just cracking the throttle and feeling that instant pull through the turns in 5th gear pushing you back in the seat...yeah, just like a Big Block Ford (or Chevy). If you think the 928 has torque now you will be in for a pleasant surprise once properly boosted.

I built the kit myself and sourced the unit from Mark Benton who was selling used 928 parts a while ago.

Ed, I can certainly acknowledge I have been "MIA" on the forums (here and RL) for a while due to health reasons,.. have you posted any pics of your Twin Screw anywhere??. I have looked a bit on occasion and haven't found any.

You know how we all are about pics of 928s, 928 mods, projects, etc....or in other words, "This Thread is Useless Without Pitchurs"...LOL

Tuning is key and you have to know what you are dealing with before getting involved or have someone you KNOW and TRUST to tune it for or with you,or the experience may not be so good.
Ed

AMEN to that. When building/designing a system or kit, the physical/mechanical challenge is all about "packaging" everything in the tight constraints of the under hood area of a 928...the mental challenge is getting the Tune right. Getting the "physical" part wrong may just mean the hood won't close all the way (or at all)...but getting the "mental" part wrong means there is potential for BLOWING the hood off..in a bad way. :-)

For all of those that think Boosting a 928 is not advisable, recommend against it, say it shouldn't be done, etc, etc...I (and others) get that 100%...but don't hold it against the "928 Boostards"...it is an addiction way above and beyond mere 928 addiction and they(we) really can't help themselves any longer...it is too late to save them,.... "Assimilation is Complete"... and not even a hole in a piston(s), blown HGs, or even a crunched transaxle will deter them...the only thing that can possibly come close to saving them is the "Tire budget issue".... Ha, Ha!

Cheers,

Dave

More
24 Aug 2012 12:31 #10530 by 928mac
Thanks Dave, Its great to have someone of your experience with the twin screw explain it. I hope to read and enjoy many more of your stories, expirences, and wisdom.

Brad

More
24 Aug 2012 20:19 #10543 by DR928
Replied by DR928 on topic Superchargers?

Thanks Dave, Its great to have someone of your experience with the twin screw explain it. I hope to read and enjoy many more of your stories, expirences, and wisdom.

Brad

Hi Brad,

You are very welcome and thanks!

Cheers,

Dave

More
05 Sep 2012 00:11 #10955 by Jon B.
I've been given the "Green Light" for Murf Stg.1 purchase...

Now, hopefully my deployment "maintenance" figure doesn't eat into what I've allotted for the setup. Regardless, my 928 will be boosted in the next year. :D

I was looking for the "evil" face, but I guess we don't have it!

More
05 Sep 2012 15:21 #10973 by 928mac
How is this Jon

More
05 Sep 2012 15:58 #10977 by Jon B.
Brad, that'll do just fine! Thanks!

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!