Bought another 928

More
11 Aug 2012 00:16 #10056 by Kiln_Red
Bought another 928 was created by Kiln_Red
Picked one up for a DD maybe 5-6 weeks ago now. Been a good car. It's an '84, black on black, 5 speed car. Minor deferred maintenance things to sort. Tonight I'm going to pull the cluster to see what's with the intermittent Speedo. Probably the flexible printed circuit as usual and/or rivets. Anyone else ever had issues with the Speedo here before? Personally, I never have with other 928a but I know many out there have documented the issues before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2012 01:58 #10058 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Bought another 928
I hope it all works out Austin.
Have you posted a picture of it yet?

More
11 Aug 2012 18:52 #10063 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Bought another 928
No pictures yet, but I'll post some soon under my member car profile. I got the cluster out last night. I couldn't visually tell that anything was wrong with the flexible PCB. Since I was already questioning the connection the 3 small rivets were making, I proceeded to solder as Dwayne documented. Set the cluster back without the pod cover just to see if the soldering had fixed the speedo. No change. I guess for now I will just swap clusters with my other '84 until I can get a new flexible PCB. I doubt cleaning my contacts will make any difference. I'm sure there is just a small break in the circuit somewhere that I cannot find.

More
13 Aug 2012 10:28 #10073 by xstepson
Replied by xstepson on topic Bought another 928
Austin,
Did you check the connections in the spare tire well? The speedo sensor wires come up through there and there is a connection that has a possibility of corrosion.

More
13 Aug 2012 17:30 #10079 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Bought another 928

Austin,
Did you check the connections in the spare tire well? The speedo sensor wires come up through there and there is a connection that has a possibility of corrosion.

I need to check this on my '95... Thanks for that info John, I forgot that is where the wires come through!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
13 Aug 2012 19:42 #10084 by Kiln_Red

Austin,

Yes. I checked that plug first I think. I didn't visually see anything questionable about the connection. Later in my search, I measured voltage across plug H1 and H2. A helper then rolled it forward so that I could see the circuit pulsate.

More
16 Aug 2012 06:35 #10192 by Kiln_Red

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here's a shot of the nose in front of my house. A little dark but you get the idea.

Fixed the Speedo thanks to Dwayne's writeup. Had to solder the rivets from the inside of the flexible PCB where it meets the Speedo circuit board. Also, got the electric cooling fan working; bad relay was all. It can be kind of hard getting in and out of gear. I tried the intermediate plate adjustment. Didn't seem to make much difference. Perhaps I didn't do it quite right. May try it again when I find the time...

More
17 Aug 2012 02:56 #10226 by 928mac
Oh my, that is black, . . . . sexy black, . . . oh God I'm going to wet myself :D

More
17 Aug 2012 05:04 #10235 by Kiln_Red
I get a chubby any time I see a 928 of any MY, condition, or color!! :p

There's a rather rough early car floating around town here I see every once in a while. It's a royal blue with a ROUGH tan interior. Still sporting phone dials too. Still yet, I find it cool as it is still a 928. I'm sure it's still fun to drive too!

More
23 Aug 2012 16:58 #10486 by 928mac

I get a chubby any time I see a 928 of any MY, condition, or color!! :p

There's a rather rough early car floating around town here I see every once in a while. It's a royal blue with a ROUGH tan interior. Still sporting phone dials too. Still yet, I find it cool as it is still a 928. I'm sure it's still fun to drive too!

Ha ha ha I love that post of yours.
I needed a break from the election crowd, LOL
:( I wish my car was not broke, and worse yet I wish I wasn't in the middle of a reno so I could start working on it.

I hope you go for a good rip tonight Austin, just for me, with the window down :rolleyes:

More
23 Aug 2012 17:04 #10487 by Kiln_Red

Ha ha ha I love that post of yours.
I needed a break from the election crowd, LOL
:( I wish my car was not broke, and worse yet I wish I wasn't in the middle of a reno so I could start working on it.

I hope you go for a good rip tonight Austin, just for me, with the window down :rolleyes:

Will do, good sir!! :D

More
23 Aug 2012 17:19 #10489 by Kiln_Red
Btw Brad, here is a better photo. Would like to update wheels & tires and leave the '84 to look all original.

More
23 Aug 2012 17:48 #10492 by OBehave
Replied by OBehave on topic Bought another 928
Great looking car Austin! My first one was an 84 5spd also. Ah the memories!
By the way, could you rotate that picture? My neck is killing me!:)

More
23 Aug 2012 17:59 #10496 by Kiln_Red
Thanks, Ed! Sorry for the angle. It was the way I was holding my phone.

More
23 Aug 2012 22:39 #10511 by 928mac
here you go

More
23 Aug 2012 22:50 #10513 by Jon B.
Replied by Jon B. on topic Bought another 928
Very nice Austin. Looks almost identical to the car I was looking at buying before my current one. Though that one was an S3.

I may end up buying another as a DD once I get home from deployment. There is a "nice" '86.5 in FL that I've had my eye on for a while.

More
23 Aug 2012 23:05 #10517 by Kiln_Red
Brad, thank you so much for this. Much better! :cool:

More
23 Aug 2012 23:05 #10518 by pcar928fan
Very nice Austin! You can't just have ONE 928!!! They are so affordable (to at least get in to) that is you know what you are doing you can get one cheap, do the little stuff yourself and have a hell of a fun car for very little money (relatively speaking!) YMMV! ;)

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
23 Aug 2012 23:10 #10520 by Kiln_Red

Very nice Austin! You can't just have ONE 928!!! They are so affordable (to at least get in to) that is you know what you are doing you can get one cheap, do the little stuff yourself and have a hell of a fun car for very little money (relatively speaking!) YMMV! ;)

Isn't that the truth, James! I don't have 10 yet but 4 should suffice for now. ;)

More
23 Aug 2012 23:11 #10521 by pcar928fan

Isn't that the truth, James! I don't have 10 yet but 4 should suffice for now. ;)

Austin,

That is a GREAT start my friend!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
24 Aug 2012 08:17 #10526 by OBehave
Replied by OBehave on topic Bought another 928
928's are like Lay's potato chips. You can't eat just one!:p

More
26 Aug 2012 06:56 #10593 by curtisr
Replied by curtisr on topic Bought another 928
Black is beautiful! While my wife prefers that we keep our 928 the silver it is, my preference would be to sneak out and return with a gloss-black paint job. :)
Lamborghini's director of marketing likens an all-black car to a very 'mysterious widow'. Not sure exactly what that means but, it sounds kinda intriguing.

Roger 'I've been too busy with my 924s to write much here but loves his 928 bestest' Curtis

More
28 Aug 2012 09:11 #10720 by emmanuelli
Replied by emmanuelli on topic Bought another 928
that looks pretty nice!

More
29 Aug 2012 02:50 #10747 by Kiln_Red

Black is beautiful! While my wife prefers that we keep our 928 the silver it is, my preference would be to sneak out and return with a gloss-black paint job. :)
Lamborghini's director of marketing likens an all-black car to a very 'mysterious widow'. Not sure exactly what that means but, it sounds kinda intriguing.

Roger 'I've been too busy with my 924s to write much here but loves his 928 bestest' Curtis

Interesting info, Curtis! Black is always my first choice on a sports car. It likely won't be a keeper, though, ultimately. I bought it to drive and catch up some maintenance duties. One day, I'd like to have a black S4 or GT. :D

Realistically, I will probably sell it and use the funds to eventually complete my kiln red '84 auto. It's been under going a mini restoration but I haven't had much opportunity to work on it recently.

that looks pretty nice!

Thank you!

More
29 Aug 2012 17:35 #10767 by pcar928fan
It is always nice to have a spare...or 9! LOL!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
29 Aug 2012 23:25 #10772 by 928mac

Btw Brad, here is a better photo. Would like to update wheels & tires and leave the '84 to look all original.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner Austin

Yes I like the cup style wheels better then the disk and I also like the stock look of my S4 with the wing on the back. So you could just leave your car stock looking.
I would say to go with your taste.
For me I only change things that I could put back. I have the turbo twist wheels on the car now.
If I bought a stock [engine LH and EZK] wiring harness, I could return it to the stock system.
The only mod I did that can not be reversed is that I ported the heads and gasket matched it to the intake, so that means the intake was hogged out as well

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!