The future of the 928 Owners Club - Stan Shaw President from 2003-2012

• srshaw3
  • srshaw3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Aug 2012 14:49 #10345 by srshaw3
Important for all members to ask, is:
Do you find existing program and service of the 928 Owners Club of value?

If you do, then the clear choice for president is James Morrison. While James has different ideas than I have, my understanding is that he will continue all of the programs that members find value in:
. Sponsoring local events
. Building the Technical Library forum *here* to provide a lasting reference library that is owned by the 928 OC members.
. Building the Roadside Assistance forum *here* to provide a lasting resource for members to get assistance from other members while traveling.
. Building the Tool Loaning program *here* to provide a growing set of tools that members may use rather than having to purchase specialized 928 tools.
. Building the Member Car Profile forum *here* where members can profile their 928s.
. Use of the Board Vote forum *here* where members can see the votes taken by the board.
. Use of the Event Discussion forum and the Calendar where members can post event information and discuss those events.

The other candidate for president does not post in the 928 OC forums and has stated he will communicate to members in Rennlist. What does that mean to the resources that are being developed by 928 OC members here? What does that mean to 928 OC members that choose to not participate in Rennlist for their own reasons? Will this mean that 928 OC members at some time will need to also pay the Rennlist fee in addition to the 928 OC membership? Questions the other candidate has not answered.

Members, it is your club and you get to decide the future. Do you want your own resources that you can control or do you want to be dependent on Internet Brands (owner of Rennlist) for provide the same resources you can build here for free?

James Morrison has helped increase membership by 40% in 2 years and for some reason the other candidate finds that to be bad....

James has been a work force to be reckoned with in the past 2 years as membership chair. The other candidate? He let his membership expire after retracting all his previous offers of volunteering, and only renewed in the last 60 days.

You get to choose, and if it matters, James has conscripted me to serve on his transition team. The other candidate? He hasn't even asked what is done on a daily basis......

Is there really a question of choice here?
James Morrison for President of the 928 Owners Club.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2012 08:51 #10845 by djf1

The other candidate for president does not post in the 928 OC forums and has stated he will communicate to members in Rennlist. What does that mean to the resources that are being developed by 928 OC members here? What does that mean to 928 OC members that choose to not participate in Rennlist for their own reasons? Will this mean that 928 OC members at some time will need to also pay the Rennlist fee in addition to the 928 OC membership? Questions the other candidate has not answered.

Stan,

I'm a new member here. New to the 928 world too. Not new to the Porsche world, nor to club activities as I have served for my region as VP and Director as well as chair for a PCA Escape.

I know full well the issues of growing membership, I know full well the issues within volunteer clubs.

Bottomline is that as an outsider I consider all these posts, all that whining and bickering as TOXIC.

I was exposed to the OC on Rennlist. Without Rennlist I would not know about the club. So there is a lot of value for the club to "mine" memberships from Rennlist. I fear though that the whole debacle is pushing membership away instead of bringing it in. You as the current leader should set the tone for this election and the decorum. As an outsider that does not know you, I will tell you that this whole thing has left me with a sour taste and made me question my membership. Banning a trustee like Malcolm for whatever reason is the latest example that as a new member makes me feel disappointed.

I voted for James, but I dont know if next year I will renew at this point. Is there change needed? absolutely. I would suggest that all this nonsense stops now and get on with the business of making this place a real value for the members.

That is my 02

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Aug 2012 09:21 #10849 by srshaw3

Stan,

I'm a new member here. New to the 928 world too. Not new to the Porsche world, nor to club activities as I have served for my region as VP and Director as well as chair for a PCA Escape.

I know full well the issues of growing membership, I know full well the issues within volunteer clubs.

Bottomline is that as an outsider I consider all these posts, all that whining and bickering as TOXIC.

I was exposed to the OC on Rennlist. Without Rennlist I would not know about the club. So there is a lot of value for the club to "mine" memberships from Rennlist. I fear though that the whole debacle is pushing membership away instead of bringing it in. You as the current leader should set the tone for this election and the decorum. As an outsider that does not know you, I will tell you that this whole thing has left me with a sour taste and made me question my membership. Banning a trustee like Malcolm for whatever reason is the latest example that as a new member makes me feel disappointed.

I voted for James, but I dont know if next year I will renew at this point. Is there change needed? absolutely. I would suggest that all this nonsense stops now and get on with the business of making this place a real value for the members.

That is my 02

Thanks for your comments.

Neither I, nor the moderators, are fond of the bickering. The moderators are doing the best they can to address this in a positive manner.

While some would suggest I should not respond to false statements, it is important to understand that people will view false statements as valid if uncontested. If you perceive that as bickering, I do apologize, but perhaps the next president will do a better job. I feel it is extremely important that the members know what they are getting now, and understand whether they will be getting that in the future.

If you want to pursue this on the public forum we can, or you can email me privately. I would certainly be interested in any comments you have where you feel I have made that were not "setting the record straight" or defending my moral character.

Honestly, while Rennlist might be an area for the 928 OC to obtain members, there are a number of participants there, that will jump at the opportunity to bash the 928 OC. I have reached out to effectively all of them privately at one time or another to determine how I can persuade them to give the 928 OC a second chance. A number of them are unwilling to do so, they feel they were maligned before I took on the leadership role and embrace those feelings like grim death. So any outreach at Rennlist must be prepared to deal with those who lie in wait there. This includes a long time moderator there, who may no longer be a moderator.

If you have thoughts about what you would like to see for changes, I would advocate you post in both presidential candidate's topics suggesting such changes, and perhaps offering to make them happen.

I do hope you find your membership of value.

More
31 Aug 2012 09:54 #10855 by Kiln_Red

Stan,

That is my 02

I hope the below post, just added this morning, suggests our membership is still steadily growing.

I just want to thank all the new members for showing their support by submitting their applications. And of course the many renewing members as well. :D

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Aug 2012 10:02 #10856 by srshaw3

I hope the below post, just added this morning, suggests our membership is still steadily growing.

I just checked 22 new members in the past 60 days. 13 new members in the 60 days before that. 18 in the 60 days before that. 14 new members in the 60 days before that. These are new 928 OC members, not just forum registrants.

The majority of the new members find us online.

Seems pretty healthy to me, considering the 928 has been out of production for 17 years.

Do those who insist the club needs to change expect to double or triple those numbers?

More
31 Aug 2012 10:58 #10862 by OBehave
It is great to see the increase in membership. I hope this will also lead to an increase in membership involvement in various programs and events so that everyone feels the value of their membership.

More
01 Sep 2012 00:34 #10881 by pcar928fan
Ed, amen to that! That is what a club like this needs, members who are REALLY willing to step up and do things! Stan has been WAY overworked for most of the last decade trying to wear more hats for the club than any 3+ members should wear and how David Lloyd did membership on his own for something like 7 years is absolutely beyond my comprehension!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!