How Would You Like These Forums Moderated #2

More
27 Aug 2012 10:55 #10649 by srshaw3
I am requesting the moderators shut down this thread immediately if there is any clearly divisive language going on in their opinion.

I suggest there is a question to be answered about how these forums should be moderated. I would suggest we certainly do not want severe censorship, we also want certain forums to remain "members only" to provide a benefit to members from these forums. Of course these are my opinions.

In the past few years, there has been general agreement between myself, President, and the moderators on how these boards should be moderated. Issues have been rare and without much fuss dealt with.

We now have more work for the moderators, as a result of the election discussions. While this will, or already has passed, the issue should now be discussed to prevent future issues.

The members of this forum can put a poll together of options, it can be presented to the board for approval. Hard for them to really over rule the members, except on cost or legal issues.

Keep in mind additional forums can be created quite easily, so if there is a desire for an off topic forum, etc. they an be created. Some members have requested a reduction of the number of forums in the past, so they were consolidated.

I would like to hear from the members on this.
These are *your* forums.
Please be polite.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2012 10:58 #10650 by srshaw3
In the previous topic under this, David Roberts posted the following thoughts:
Personality plays a big part in whether or not a person is a good forum moderator.

A good forum moderator needs to be calm and needs to be able to stand an argument without becoming heated.

They need to have a good amount of common sense and they need to be able to handle having harsh words tossed at them.

They cannot go easy on any one member and they must treat all members fairly.

They need to understand their position and not take advantage of it or abuse their powers.

Another good quality would be consideration. Good mods need to be considerate.

Source: Wiki Answers: "What Makes a Good Forum Moderator"
wiki.answers.com/Q/What_makes...orum_moderator

While this concept is simple, the execution is always anything but simple, or easy,...after all, Mods are human beings too....they just have more "options" on The Forum & Thread Tools Menus and usually more "icons" to click on at the bottom of each post :-)

More
27 Aug 2012 11:00 #10651 by srshaw3
In the previous topic, Gary Knox posted the following thoughts:

The criteria listed by David Roberts sound "right on" to me.

It seems it might be good to have two moderators agree before a change is made to a message that has been posted by a member (or to close a thread). And - if 3 or more changes are made to a poster's messages/threads closed in a reasonable period of time (month or less), it might be worthwhile to consider suspending that members ability to post for a month or so.

More
27 Aug 2012 15:06 #10665 by Kiln_Red
I completely agree with both Gary and Dave on this. I suggested to Brad privately and in earlier threads that working together to make some tough calls seems more fault proof than working unilaterally.

Data point: Well over 10,000 posts had been made to these forums before any moderator action was taken. I think that speaks volumes for what kind of forums we promote and value here and I don't see, in any way, where it resembles a "dictatorship."

More
27 Aug 2012 15:14 #10666 by srshaw3
I leave such decisions in the hands of the moderators, with the additional thought that at times a post may be so clearly inappropriate, that action be taken by the moderator available.

More
27 Aug 2012 16:17 #10670 by Kiln_Red

I leave such decisions in the hands of the moderators, with the additional thought that at times a post may be so clearly inappropriate, that action be taken by the moderator available.

Again, I agree. :)

More
29 Aug 2012 10:40 #10752 by WyattsRide
I totally agree with Dave's and Gary's comments on how the forum should be moderated. I would also add that all the moderators need to be consistent.

Please, NO "Off Topic" forum. In my opinion this just leads to more personality conflicts that can carry over to 928 content forums. I'm not here to know your political, sexual or religious stands. I'm not here really to know everything that is going on in your life (other than 928 content) and I'm not going to post all my laundry either. That's why I'm not on FACEBOOK.

Definitely have some forums for members only. I would move Event Discussions to the all access area.

Just my 2 cents.

More
29 Aug 2012 11:46 #10756 by linderpat
+928 what Rick said. Plenty of OT in RL/RW/bird; don't need that here.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!