• emmanuelli
  • emmanuelli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
27 Aug 2012 11:56 #10658 by emmanuelli
Odometer fix 86 928 was created by emmanuelli
Hi all:

I am as many, in the process of correcting issues and bringing my 86 928 up to spec. Im just done with the oil pan, valve covers and intake vacuum seals. Also break pads have been replaced. just had the front seats done to continue with other interior work.
does any one in the NY area know someone who can fix or work on the odometer issue. My mechanic is not doing that.

I havent the space or tools to work on it myself, hence i have the work done with a mechanic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2012 16:29 #10674 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Odometer fix 86 928
It's not a very difficult repair at all, so I would advise you to attempt it. There aren't many tools required at all. A 10mm socket, Phillips head screwdriver, 5mm Allen socket, and a few extensions are all that is necessary to remove the pod and cluster. I don't even pull the steering wheel when I do this. Once you have the cluster out, it is only a matter of a few screws to remove the cover and speedometer to get at the odometer gear; or what's left of it. :p

Doing it yourself is much more cost efficient, but if you insist, maybe someone else will come forward with a recommendation of who/where to take your car locally for repairs.

More
27 Aug 2012 20:50 #10691 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Odometer fix 86 928
Is there a tech write up on this? I can't believe there isn't! It has been done many times, but does deserve its own write up. As does the pod removal itself I think. There are so many things to do and that need to be done in there it would be good to have a Dwayne style write up on Pod R&R!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
27 Aug 2012 22:44 #10701 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Odometer fix 86 928

Is there a tech write up on this? I can't believe there isn't! It has been done many times, but does deserve its own write up. As does the pod removal itself I think. There are so many things to do and that need to be done in there it would be good to have a Dwayne style write up on Pod R&R!

Actually, James, I believe Dwayne does have a write up and the pod removal and speedo repair. It can be used as a reference for about 90% of the job required to do the odometer repair. As much time as I spend wrenching on my 928s, I should be doing my own write ups. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I will start taking pictures of various things that may be of use to others. My 928s are usually used for daily driving. The reality is that I do spend quite a bit of time wrenching.

More
28 Aug 2012 04:09 #10708 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Odometer fix 86 928
Dwayne's write-up that I converted to a pdf is available in the technical library: forums.928oc.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=579

• emmanuelli
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Aug 2012 11:18 #10755 by emmanuelli
Replied by emmanuelli on topic Odometer fix 86 928
Hi All:

I have read the write up, and also have the PDF version with all the pics. However i've been with such a crazy schedule that im not able to set aside time for the repairs myself. Besides that, i lack a garage or permanent parking space (go go NYC alternate side parking!) to keep the car in one place while i fiddle with the pod. Im looking for a space however. If that comes through, i'll be doing some wrenching myself.

More
29 Aug 2012 19:41 #10770 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Odometer fix 86 928
You could take the PDF to the mechanic and ask if he will do it.:rolleyes:

• emmanuelli
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
31 Aug 2012 09:15 #10847 by emmanuelli
Replied by emmanuelli on topic Odometer fix 86 928
thats an option. i'll see if he's game.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!