Only place I can post...your forum security is a bit screwy

• jej3
  • jej3's Avatar Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2012 15:40 #10975 by jej3
Geez... here we go. This is my 2nd post and I am not trying to start any issues but....

1. If I log in as a forum member, I can only post in the top level forums not sure if that is the intent.

If it IS the intent,

2. I would like you to know that when I am NOT LOGGED IN why...

A. I can view the General Discussion forum (boy the shiz on RL wasn't nearly as deep as it is in some of the General Discussion forums)
B. I can view the entire Technical Discussion forum (so why would someone pay for these member only tidbits????)
C. I can click on the View Forum Leaders link at the bottom (again Anonymously) and have access to EVERY forum member and the information shared on their profile (inclusive of any contact info or such as links to personal profiles i.e. Facebook profiles) which they may have posted.

As I suspect this may be a fairly glaring issue, I'm just advertising this to the entire group for their information above.

Since words may not portray this well, I can provide graphics which illustrate this if needed.

I was happy for the opportunity to read both the General Discussion and the Technical Discussion anonymously as this clued me into what all the Shiz has been about the last couple of weeks.

Hope you can fix this soon. If this is an issue, forum member beware.

-Trey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2012 15:58 #10976 by Kiln_Red
General Discussion forum and Technical forum alike may be viewed by anyone. They will disappear from your view once you sign in only if you are not a member. Some member only areas are not displayed the same way. The General Discussion forum and Technical forum are allowed to be viewed this way as a way to attract interest from prospective new members.

Stan, correct me if I'm wrong on this of course.

• jej3
More
05 Sep 2012 16:32 #10980 by jej3
Okay. Thanks for the reply. So if I understand...

I've taken the trouble to sign up so I cannot see the General Discussion and Technical Discussion forums because I am not a member of the 928OC.

However, as a casual internet surfer, I can view the General and Technical Discussion forums anonymously.

The end result being, a person doesn't need to be a 928OC member, they just need to sign out of the forum and come back anonymously to view the posts.

More
05 Sep 2012 17:07 #10982 by 928mac
Very interesting Trey, Thanks for the info.
I understand your point.

Brad

More
05 Sep 2012 17:07 #10983 by Kiln_Red
A 928OC member has permission to view and post in all of the web forums.

More
05 Sep 2012 17:12 #10984 by 928mac

A 928OC member has permission to view and post in all of the web forums.

I think Treys point is why buy a membership if you can view the tech area with out paying.

ILL sign out and try it.

More
05 Sep 2012 17:38 #10985 by Kiln_Red
Of course I am open to suggestions. Brad, maybe we could create a poll for members to vote on including non members in the Technical Discussion forum. Personally, I feel the General Discussion forum should remain available only to members as off topic discussions are only available to members on RL. I think that is a good policy.

More
05 Sep 2012 17:51 #10987 by Kiln_Red
Brad, I started a poll to see what members think about including non-member posts to the Technical Discussion forum.

• jej3
More
05 Sep 2012 18:17 #10988 by jej3
Austin - no offense but I think you've entirely missed my point.

I am not asking for anything but as a non-paying user of this forum pointing out a few things that I think your membership should see.

1. You do not have to log in to read General Discussions
2. You do not have to log in to read Technical Discussions
3. You do not have to log in to figure out who the members of this forum are

With regard to 1 and 2 above, if I don't have to log in to read the content of these forums, I also DO NOT have to be a member of the OC to VIEW these forums.

Whatever the conclusions are from the poll you posted, I believer you membership should be made aware of this. Can you advise them in General Discussion as I am unable to post there?

Trey

More
05 Sep 2012 18:18 #10989 by srshaw3
We had made some recent changes that may have led to this convoluted setup.

I have made some changes, but I am quite willing to let the moderators advise what they would like, based on their experience, and or polls they take.

In general the intent is for registered users to see enough, but of course the key benefits should be provided to paying members.

More
05 Sep 2012 18:32 #10990 by Jon B.

1. You do not have to log in to read General Discussions
2. You do not have to log in to read Technical Discussions
3. You do not have to log in to figure out who the members of this forum are

With regard to 1 and 2 above, if I don't have to log in to read the content of these forums, I also DO NOT have to be a member of the OC to VIEW these forums.

Trey,

Points one and two must have been fixed pretty recently. I just logged off and they are unavailable to me. Though, I can STILL see all the members profiles. Seems a bit odd...

More
05 Sep 2012 19:07 #10993 by Kiln_Red
I just logged out and noticed the same corrections.

• jej3
More
05 Sep 2012 19:20 #10995 by jej3
I believe it was corrected prior to Stan's reply.

Now there's no chance that the 928OC content is open to the public which I believe from my reading, was one of the advertised aspects of the forum.

More
05 Sep 2012 19:33 #10997 by Kiln_Red
Perhaps the Technical Discussion forum will become available to non paying members once the poll is closed. I do agree with Stan that most beneficial content should only be made available for viewing or posting only by paying members. I also see your point that the forum, in many ways, should be used to allow others to view certain OC content. Thank you for your input, and hopefully, it can be used for improving our web forums.

More
05 Sep 2012 19:34 #10998 by srshaw3

Now there's no chance that the 928OC content is open to the public which I believe from my reading, was one of the advertised aspects of the forum.

I thought the changes I implemented were the ones you suggested needed to be made, so clearly I am confused as to what is being asked for.

Brad and Austin, please let me know which users you would like to have read access and which users you want to have update access to the different forums.

These are the types of users that I believe we should be discussing:
1. users awaiting email confirmation
2. users awaiting moderation
3. unregistered/not logged in
4. registered users
5. 928 OC members

I am not including the various moderator levels, banned users, 928 OC board members and the good store administrator.

More
05 Sep 2012 19:36 #10999 by srshaw3

The public would include registered users. Are you saying a registered user can not view any forums, or just the 928 OC specific forums?

It has been a long week for me already, so I may not be clearly understanding your comments.

More
05 Sep 2012 19:43 #11001 by Kiln_Red
The OP isn't understanding why he had permission to view certain content before registering that he no longer can view after registering. I think that if unregistered users can view, but not post, certain content that registered users should at least be able to view the same content that a completely unregistered user could. The permissions to post should be left unchanged, at this time, in my opinion.

More
05 Sep 2012 19:51 #11002 by srshaw3

The OP isn't understanding why he had permission to view certain content before registering that he no longer can view after registering. I think that if unregistered users can view, but not post, certain content that registered users should at least be able to view the same content that a completely unregistered user could. The permissions to post should be left unchanged, at this time, in my opinion.

Yes, I saw that, and then I posted that I made some changes.
I think someone needs to review what is desired, so I can assure it is in place.

More
05 Sep 2012 19:56 #11003 by Kiln_Red
Understood. I'll wait for a follow up from the OP, for clarity.

More
05 Sep 2012 22:26 #11010 by 928mac

I thought the changes I implemented were the ones you suggested needed to be made, so clearly I am confused as to what is being asked for.

Brad and Austin, please let me know which users you would like to have read access and which users you want to have update access to the different forums.

These are the types of users that I believe we should be discussing:
4. registered users
5. 928 OC members

I am not including the various moderator levels, banned users, 928 OC board members and the good store administrator.

Stan,
What is the difference between 4 & 5
I do not believe #3 should see anything other then the locked threads to encourage them to register. (zero view access)
Then if I understand correctly a registered user has not paid so should still only see the Morning, and car profile to encourage them to pay. IMHO

not sure what #2 means
#1 must be I paid but am waiting for you to unlock the door (we all have to wait)

I also thing to avoid controversy that if a poll is taken then the board can make the final choice which is good enough for me.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Sep 2012 22:51 #11016 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic Only place I can post...your forum security is a bit screwy
The general and technical forums are available to me when signed in.

Not sure if as a board member I can see all or has the issue been repaired.

Given wherr we are in the elction cycle Id suggest we table the discussion post election for the new board to consider what should or should not be available to non-members.

IMHO the tech forum is one if not 'the' most valuable.

More
06 Sep 2012 02:49 #11020 by Kiln_Red
Agreed. The poll will be open for two more days. Any action, if necessary, can wait until 9/28 I suppose. Since a change to include non-members into the Technical Discussion forum would disclose more 928OC content at no more cost, I also agree, that the board should have the final say.

More
06 Sep 2012 04:40 #11022 by srshaw3

Stan,
What is the difference between 4 & 5
I do not believe #3 should see anything other then the locked threads to encourage them to register. (zero view access)
Then if I understand correctly a registered user has not paid so should still only see the Morning, and car profile to encourage them to pay. IMHO

not sure what #2 means
#1 must be I paid but am waiting for you to unlock the door (we all have to wait)

I also thing to avoid controversy that if a poll is taken then the board can make the final choice which is good enough for me.

user registered to forum but has not responded to email confirmation request sent by forum software

user registered to forum and has responded to email confirmation but administrator has not approved registration

user has not registered or has not logged in with registered ID.

4. registered users
user is valid registered user and is logged in

5. 928 OC members
user is valid registered user, is logged in, and has been included in the 928 OC member group as a paying member allowing access to 928 OC only forums.

More
06 Sep 2012 07:34 #11023 by Kiln_Red
I favor how #1, #2, and #3 are currently set. I might favor #4 being allowed in the Technical Discussion forum. I think the current permissions for #5 are also spot on. :)

More
06 Sep 2012 07:35 #11024 by MGW-Fla
I think an Unregistered viewer should only be allow to see very little, and certainly not any tech forum info; or maybe a teaser sticky'd thread in the tech forum perhaps to show them what is available if they at least log in. If someone cannot even at least register as a user to log in to the web site, much less pony up $30 to join the OC, then they should not be able to receive access to all of the wealth of info that is available in the tech forums. Much less allowing them to view and/or post in threads. Seems to me over the years of searching & going to web sites regarding a variety of topics, many forums require you to at least register prior to you being able to access the info there, much less post anywhere. Otherwise, other than posting in threads, there is no motivation to register, much less join the OC as a member. Seems there has to be a tiered step up in benefits the higher up you go(which I know there already is, I'm just endorsing that).

• jej3
More
06 Sep 2012 07:37 #11025 by jej3
All -

If you are waiting on a response from me, please don't :)

I have a handful of posts here and simply wanted to let the powers that be know, while the opinion has been technical content was secured for 928 OC Member consumption, the reality was the Technical Forum and General Forum were open and presumably have been for some time, to the anonymous public.

I don't propose to have an opinion about what you should do for registered forum users who are not 928 OC members. That is for your membership and board to decide. I simply wanted to point out the discrepancy.

I know it's erection season around here so I look forward to whatever your next group of leaders enables for people like me who are genuinely on the fence about being a 928 OC Member, especially after reading the General Discussion forum.

My name is Trey Johnson and I approve this message :)

• jej3
More
06 Sep 2012 07:39 #11026 by jej3
Sorry - the one thing I forgot to add is I think you need to secure your forum member list. Anyone can see it right now.

More
06 Sep 2012 07:46 #11027 by Kiln_Red
The only reason I might favor allowing non-members into the Tech Discussion is because it is still only giving up a fraction of what the OC offers, at no charge. And, it goes hand-in-hand with the mission statement. Anyone who found the forum resourceful would very likely want to join to view the Technical Library, Tech Tips, and become eligible for the loaner tool program.

More
06 Sep 2012 08:54 #11029 by srshaw3

Sorry - the one thing I forgot to add is I think you need to secure your forum member list. Anyone can see it right now.

A correction has been implemented.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!