Not like McArthur, but I have returned

More
06 Oct 2012 11:38 #11683 by Roger M. Woodbury
I'm not really a newby. I have been afflicted with the 928 strain of Porsche disease for longer than I care to admit. I was a member of this august organization some years ago and left when I sold my last 928, thinking I was going on to other things. It was a learning experience and here are a couple of things I have learned.

First of all, there are three cars of the many that I have owned in my lifetime that I never was able to quite get beyond. Now they are all old, but remain floating on the top of my bucket list. One I have, an Audi V8 Quattro. The other I don't current, and that is a 928...ANY 928. I have owned two 928's, both S4's and now I am growing restless for another one. Worse still, my wife has joined with me in this, and sooner rather than latter we will again have one.

Secondly, I have learned that all the best cars have been built. Sure, there are faster ones, smarter ones, cheaper ones (a lot of those, in every sense of the word), but the best cars have already been built. Why is this? Well, the cost of building, designing and ownership has escalated to the point that only cheap, mass produced cars are now saleable. The mass mechanical workforce has deterriorated in quality and knowledge (MY opinion!) to the point where the "unplug module A and replace by module B" method of mechanical maintenance is all that can be afford and for the most part, all that most mechanical training programs teach. Thus cars like the 928 are very, very difficult to build and sell, then to afford for all except the most wealthy.

But the best cars....let's say, those with any sort of "soul" have already been built. They are the cars one can love and hate at the same time. Tell me truthfully: do you LOVE your Camry? I didn't think so.

So anyway, I have looked at this website frequently thinking about rejoining. And I have also looked often at all the used car on-line websites pondering 928's. Seldom do I see one that I really, really want, but occasionally, and I show it to my wife for her input. Some day we'll pull the plug and buy another one.

I also have something else to talk to you about this morning. I want to tell you about "The Mists of Adriana", just now available on Amazon Kindle.

Some of you may remember me as a writer who used to post all sorts of things here. For those who don't I am indeed a writer and now that the Air Force has taken away my keys to the F-22 and since the NASA recruiter never returned my phone calls, writing is what I do all the time. All my other careers are finished and now I pound away at the keyboard.

Anyway, years and years ago I began to write a story about a woman by the name of Adriana Barrows. She owned a Porsche 944 Turbo S and was found by the person writing along side the road with a flat tire. That preamble, or first chapter of a longer story was originally published in the 928 newsletter that never really took off.

But the idea of writing about a liason of a beautiful woman who understood how to say the word Porsche stuck with me, and now, finally Adriana Barrows has become a real person and the story of her and a writer who lives on the coast of Maine has been finished in novel form. The story isn't really about 928's, but about two people of varied backgrounds who come together because of a 928. There are some twists and turns, a little romance and some intrigue, mystery and danger, plus an ending that asks more questions than provides answers as one gets dragged into "The Mists of Adriana".

Best of all today, it's available FREE for download on Amazon Kindle, and will be FREE for download from the Kindle Select (lending library) for the next ninety days.

Take a look. I'd love some feedback from REAL 928 owners! Who knows? I might write about these cars and the folks who love them again. Meantime, I will lurk here watching and reading and waiting for that perfect 928 to return to my garage!

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2012 15:16 #11687 by Kiln_Red
Welcome back, Roger! I hope you find the right 928 soon.

With your background and writing skills, I am sure you would be a welcome candidate on a couple of 928 OC projects.

Thank you for joining!! :D

More
06 Oct 2012 16:07 #11689 by Feather
Hi Roger.

I should say "welcome Back" but I don't think I was here before when you were; so I guess I'll just say Welcome.

I guess you have probably seen that we are going to be doing a new kind of newsletter for the OC, and I am going to try to be the Editor. Maybe when you get your next 928 you will be having some project or travel or other interesting 928 kinds of things to write about that we can publish in the Newsletter.

Did you get a link to the Newsletter when you rejoined? If not, let me know and I will send it to you, I think.

There is a place on the coast of Maine that I have read about in the past with great interest that I might like to ask you about whether or not you too have read about it. I think it is named Arundel, but I can't remember if that is the correct spelling. If you have heard of it I would be interested to know; and if not I will be interested to tell you something about it that might very well interest you, since, as a writer I would guess that you are also an avid reader.

Good to have you and your Porsche (two sylable word) Lady.

Jerry Feather

P.S. I too have an Air Force "carreer" in my past as a Navigator on C-141, C-121. and C-130, in that order. Shorter career than yours most likely.

More
06 Oct 2012 20:43 #11690 by 928mac
Welcome Roger. I home the 928 owners club can help you regain your 928 enthusiasm.

If you like ideas outside the box, i'm your guy.

Brad

More
06 Oct 2012 20:47 #11691 by pcar928fan
Roger,

Welcome back! We need your skills BIG TIME! We are going to start the NEW 928 Journal. We need CONTENT! I will be web base and all about 928's...ANYTHING about 928's. It will be full content articles. Unlike the Newsletter which is smaller articles and excerpts from Journal articles I hope.

I am looking for an editor and someone with the knowledge of posting it to the web as both and article that can be read here on the forum as well as downloaded as a pdf from here so you can take all the articles that you like when you are on the run and don't have connectivity. I think there is a friend over on the volunteer thread who can handle this but I have not asked him yet... ;)

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
07 Oct 2012 05:31 #11698 by Roger M. Woodbury
Actually when I paid dues I received very little as a result. I figured I was probably a member when I did get an email acknowledgment, but I was very much preoccupied and may have missed something.

So the newsletter link is something I have not yet received and would appreciate having it. I did read the first issues pre-announcement that is on the forums already but I assume there are further issues.

I thinnk the newsletter is a great idea but I wonder how difficult it will be to keep up a publication rate of every two months...I would have thought quarterly would have been difficult enough.

But one comment I will make is about the name...."Shark Vibes"....really? That makes me uncomfortable because the only vibrations that I am aware of in the 928 might be a harbinger of thrust bearing failure.....ooops!

Roger

Hi Roger.

I should say "welcome Back" but I don't think I was here before when you were; so I guess I'll just say Welcome.

I guess you have probably seen that we are going to be doing a new kind of newsletter for the OC, and I am going to try to be the Editor. Maybe when you get your next 928 you will be having some project or travel or other interesting 928 kinds of things to write about that we can publish in the Newsletter.

Did you get a link to the Newsletter when you rejoined? If not, let me know and I will send it to you, I think.

There is a place on the coast of Maine that I have read about in the past with great interest that I might like to ask you about whether or not you too have read about it. I think it is named Arundel, but I can't remember if that is the correct spelling. If you have heard of it I would be interested to know; and if not I will be interested to tell you something about it that might very well interest you, since, as a writer I would guess that you are also an avid reader.

Good to have you and your Porsche (two sylable word) Lady.

Jerry Feather

P.S. I too have an Air Force "carreer" in my past as a Navigator on C-141, C-121. and C-130, in that order. Shorter career than yours most likely.

More
07 Oct 2012 09:49 #11700 by Feather
928 Owners Club:

"Our SOLE PURPOSE is to support OWNERS' (sic.) in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928s throughout the world." (Emphasis added)

Jerry Feather

More
07 Oct 2012 10:07 #11701 by Roger M. Woodbury
Hi Jim: Belated congratulations!

I find it interesting that the idea of The 928 Journal has surfaced again. I know well it was tried before and then again, and once more later I suggested that it might be tried again yet a third or fourth time. The feeling then was that there was little interest as the surge of Rennlist and other such sites seemed to dilute the favor of a journal here.

Nevertheless it is important to find out how many people would be interested in contributing to such a journal. The newsletter is a fine enhancement to this site and the OC in my opinion although it may be difficult to keep it fresh with such an aggressive publication schedule.

In my attempts with The 928 Journal I found after the first few months there were fewer and fewer inquiries and limited to no submissions. The journal really needs input from members and those who have some interest in cars and driving. That input needs to be more than just suggestions about articles that might be written, but in actual copy to edit and put into the journal for others to read. It is easy to discuss those trips and experiences with the 928, is it something entirely different to actually write those expeiences down and send them off to be posted to the journal.

Now, having said all of that, I would love to see The 928 Journal reappear and would be willing to perform some editorial work on articles that get submitted. I have a couple of stories to tell about my time with the 928, but I do not have the skills nor interest in final formatting and putting up on this site or the web: I write but I am a lousy techhie.

I wonder how "alive" the 928 community is. For that matter, I wonder how "alive" the sports car world is in general. Certainly the old days of local sports car clubs that do more than occasonally gather to chat and polish their cars appears to be gone. I remember a time when on any weekend during spring, summer or fall months there were numerous autocrosses within a short drive of where I lived. Now, there are none that I know of in New England anywhere. The recession, the cost of ownership, the price of a gallon of gas and the Internet have all done their part to relegate the automobile to "transportation" status, and it would not surprise me if those who know and love 928's are dwindling in number as their cars age and meet the crusher (TERRIBLE thought, I know.).

How much real interst in the greater membership is there for a "new" 928 Journal, I wonder? If the membership base is large enough, it will be worth the effort, but if fewer than 125 votes were cast in the last election, I wonder how large the membership base really is. If it is larger than it seems, CAN it be energized? There is so much competition on the Internet, perhaps and perhaps not.

Roger

Roger,

Welcome back! We need your skills BIG TIME! We are going to start the NEW 928 Journal. We need CONTENT! I will be web base and all about 928's...ANYTHING about 928's. It will be full content articles. Unlike the Newsletter which is smaller articles and excerpts from Journal articles I hope.

I am looking for an editor and someone with the knowledge of posting it to the web as both and article that can be read here on the forum as well as downloaded as a pdf from here so you can take all the articles that you like when you are on the run and don't have connectivity. I think there is a friend over on the volunteer thread who can handle this but I have not asked him yet... ;)

More
09 Oct 2012 18:29 #11744 by pcar928fan
Roger,

I agree! Jerry swears he can keep up the pace with the Newsletter! The Shark Vibes comes from the way sharks communicate and pick up the "scent" of prey...vibrations play a big part of that. Yes, when OUR sharks vibrate it is NOT good! LOL!

The 928 Journal is NOT going to be a Journal in the traditional sense of the word. It is going to be individual articles about 928's that are posted to a part of this forum that is the NEW 928 JOURNAL. It is my hope you will be able to read the articles that are written by our members here online as well as download them as a pdf to take with you on your e-reader or computer. Also, just like any thread you will be able to comment on the articles that you read.

Doing and ACTUAL Journal/magazine is a HUGE deal! Way bigger than we can manage here at this point, but this will be something for folks to read where the articles will be to big to put in The Shark Vibes.

I will be sure that Barbara Koster shoots you an email. She is soliciting articles from the 100+ members who have volunteered to write for us and so watch for an email from her. I think I might have editing and posting handled... still checking, but if we need help I am glad you are here to help with editing!

As to your "alive" question...here on the internet things are alive and well and growing for the 928 group. There is so much CRAZY legal liability these days no one wants to host an Auto-X anymore. I don't know if you have many tracks near you, but I can be on one of 4 or 5 tracks all within a three hour drive for me EVERY WEEKEND if I want to! That said, it is NEVER cheap to do that!

All good questions... Obviously there are 120 who have actively participated in the election process this year. There are many that I know that didn't vote but are "here" and many more who are members but not here. If we can make things interesting for them we will get some of them "here" and active. The REAL DEAL (and we are working on this too) is to get the Regional Reps actively talking to, planning events for and engaging WITH their local members. THAT is how you become part of a club. I can't go around the country and meet everyone, but if there is at least ONE committed regional member staying in touch with me or one of the other national "leaders" of the club then THAT person will understand better the national scene and be the hands and feet of the club for his (or her) local 928OC members. That is how a connection is made and maintained...by the Regional Reps.

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
11 Oct 2012 11:17 #11778 by bk tx 928
Hello, Roger,

As James mentioned, I've volunteered to assist with solicitation of articles for the 928 OC Journal. I'm thrilled that you are interested in writing some articles, as well as potentially editing some articles. So, I'm asking that you send your articles, along with a brief overview of the story, to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I'll note receipt and forward on to publishing.

BTW, I'm relatively a newbie, but extend my, "Welcome back!" I look forward to meeting you in person at a 928 event soon.

Much thanks and appreciation for your volunteering,
Barbara Koster
'94 928 GTS 5-spd

More
17 Oct 2012 06:48 #11882 by peter9091
"Our SOLE PURPOSE is to support OWNERS' (sic.) in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928s throughout the world." (Emphasis added)

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!