Do you notice the looks you get

More
24 Aug 2010 23:34 #712 by 928mac
Wow!! it blows me away the way people look at me when I craw out of the car.
It is kind of cool and some times they ask what it is and what year.

I thought that it would stop or maybe I was just noticing them to much.
I mean come on its just an old car, right?
I tell them that 928'z are cheep and what it cost me and that its a maintenance money pit, but still they look on with envy.

Of course some of this I attribute to my good looks :p and Deb just hates when the ladies notice me :rolleyes:

The other day we were driving up to a gig where my band plays and a guy and woman are waving from there escalade. I roll down debs window at 80k and we are yelling back and forth explaining the car to them. He thought it was so cool (the car) and so did I, (the attention)

Wow!! it blows me away the way people look

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2010 08:07 #720 by Kiln_Red
I know precisely what you mean. It is pretty awesome. There is no grey area with our vehicles. People either love them or hate them upon first glance. Either way, it begs attention. :)

More
15 Sep 2010 00:40 #992 by pcar928fan
Yea, you can get a lot of good attention in even a half way decent 928. If you have a nice one then Katy bar the door...people will come out of the wood work to talk to you about them. Hell, I have people ask me about my 928's when they read my 928OC license plate ring that says "My Other Car Is A 928". Of course we don't have those anymore, so if you missed out as a charter member you might be out of luck! We do have the regular LP trim rings though. :o

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
15 Sep 2010 19:06 #1007 by 87 Shark
I was driving down I-89 to Boston and a guy in an Audi SUV worth 10 times the price of my car is taking my picture. Talk about bang for the buck. Even other Porsche owners have a soft spot for the 928 even if they won't admit it.

More
15 Sep 2010 20:54 #1018 by pcar928fan
Talk about looks... Today I was out (for about 4 miles...2 to lunch and 2 home) in BLUE82... Stopped people dead in their tracks as they headed in to the restaurant! Several folks stopped to talk to me when I was getting out and then back in. That car is simply AMAZING!!!

Attached files [img]media/attachments/1053=114-IMG_5829_2.jpg[/img]

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
16 Sep 2010 17:09 #1040 by OBehave
Do you ever notice how many 911/997 owners are closet 928 enthusiasts?At least at car shows and when I have been to a race weekend at Lime Rock and park the GTS in the Porsche Platz they stare at us pulling in,then later casually walk by trying not to look obvious,makes me giggle.

More
16 Sep 2010 17:17 #1043 by pcar928fan
And the 911 owners who are "haters" almost always drive an '80's or earlier 911 and they "hate" because they actually DO understand how much better and cheaper a 928 is than their POS! LOL! :D

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
16 Sep 2010 23:44 #1053 by SeanR
I live close to a trailer park (two of them, please don't think badly of me) and people keep asking me what year Ferrari I own. Some days I play along with it, some days I tell them it's 20 years old.

What's it take to get from Junior Member to the next level?

More
17 Sep 2010 07:54 #1057 by srshaw3

Looks like it is a manual process. I am not sure if the moderators want to take that task on....

Here is a reference in the software manual: www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/user_titles

More
17 Sep 2010 08:00 #1059 by OBehave

And the 911 owners who are "haters" almost always drive an '80's or earlier 911 and they "hate" because they actually DO understand how much better and cheaper a 928 is than their POS! LOL! :D

Ain't it the truth!! And Sean,I had the same response at that Lime Rock event from the Corvette club guys there.They thought my Iris Blue GTS was a Ferrari!:rolleyes:Go Figure.

More
17 Sep 2010 08:12 #1063 by Kiln_Red

I live close to a trailer park (two of them, please don't think badly of me) and people keep asking me what year Ferrari I own. Some days I play along with it, some days I tell them it's 20 years old.

Senior member at post #100, just plain "Member" at post #30. :D

I am now realizing that the default setup for user titles is rather boring and cheesy. I am more than willing to make changes to it, with Brad's help. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Looking forward to working on it. Anyway I can help enhance the pleasure of using this forum for others is a priority of mine.

More
17 Sep 2010 10:26 #1078 by pcar928fan
Get busy Sean!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
17 Sep 2010 11:36 #1084 by 928mac
I think we should be Moderators but spelt something like Motoraters.

Then for every 250 post you can be a piece of the car (rad cap, spark plug, Mag
wheel, engine,) and then finally you can become a 928 say at around 3000 post
and a preferred model say every 1000 after like a GT at 4000.

Would this make it more interesting for others to post and is it a good idea?

• adminVB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2010 12:15 #1088 by adminVB
Replied by adminVB on topic Do you notice the looks you get
Sounds like a plan!

More
17 Sep 2010 13:02 #1092 by SeanR

Get busy Sean!

I was this morning, got a 42k 94 out the door. Going to clay bar and polish mine sometime today. ;)

More
17 Sep 2010 20:17 #1103 by pcar928fan
^^^^^^
Who owns that baby? Is that the red GTS out of San Antonio? Chuck's friend or is this another one? Love to keep track of the low mile GTS's...well, relatively low anyway... It is not BLUE82 3683 mile car! LOL! ;)

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
18 Sep 2010 18:11 #1115 by SeanR

^^^^^^
Who owns that baby? Is that the red GTS out of San Antonio? Chuck's friend or is this another one? Love to keep track of the low mile GTS's...well, relatively low anyway... It is not BLUE82 3683 mile car! LOL! ;)

Yup, San Antonio one.

There is another 94 being trucked in from Washington, should be here in a few more days. It's new home will be Corpus when I get done with it. It will also be at 3rd Coast.

More
18 Sep 2010 18:51 #1118 by pcar928fan
Unfortunately I won't make 3rd Coast this year...unless there is little to nothing going on at my 100th Frat anniversary and University Homecoming on Friday night...that seems HIGHLY unlikely though...

SOOOOO want to be there... will need to be selling some calendars there and I know I could bring a hot model with me for you guys to meet too! Maybe I can get Mark Robinson out there with his friend (and model) Monique!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
19 Sep 2010 11:28 #1127 by 928mac

Sounds like a plan!

So Stan why don't you give me access Or you can adjust it and we can decide on appropriate Titles

More
19 Sep 2010 11:40 #1128 by 928mac
The first 250 post could be lug nut, or spark plug, or Rad Cap

what do you like or is 250 to high for the first change? we could go first 100, next 200, next 300, and so on

More
19 Sep 2010 13:30 #1129 by Kiln_Red
Many of you are Rennlist members. How do you all like their handling of user titles? Pretty simple. Members could appear as "928OC Member" and others could appear simply as "User" or something similar. Board members and Executives could have their own unique IDs of course. Number of posts wouldn't matter anymore. Just a thought I had discussed with Brad.

More
19 Sep 2010 13:51 #1130 by srshaw3
I really like my title :)

More
19 Sep 2010 13:54 #1131 by srshaw3

So Stan why don't you give me access Or you can adjust it and we can decide on appropriate Titles

You don't have a access already?

If you have a minute to figure out how, take a look in the manual and let me know: www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

More
19 Sep 2010 14:07 #1134 by Kiln_Red

I really like my title :)

I like your title also. :D

Congratulations, by the way!! I don't have access either. Isn't it the "User Title Manager" that we're looking for?

More
19 Sep 2010 14:54 #1135 by Kiln_Red

You don't have a access already?

If you have a minute to figure out how, take a look in the manual and let me know: www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

Stan, I read through it again and it is clear that only you, the Super Admin, have the permission to make adjustments to the user titles. Brad and I aren't administrators at all, so we're not even able to access the "User Title Manager." All we can do from the Moderator Control Panel is approve/disapprove posts, threads, or attachments.

SO... looks like any changes to the user titles are purely up to you. :)

More
19 Sep 2010 16:21 #1136 by SeanR
I'm not too concerned about what my title is, I was just curious if it was related to actual post count, or if it was related to membership in the OC.

More
19 Sep 2010 16:29 #1143 by srshaw3

Stan, I read through it again and it is clear that only you, the Super Admin, have the permission to make adjustments to the user titles. Brad and I aren't administrators at all, so we're not even able to access the "User Title Manager." All we can do from the Moderator Control Panel is approve/disapprove posts, threads, or attachments.

I made you both super moderators, see if that gives you any additional access

More
19 Sep 2010 16:48 #1148 by srshaw3

I can set the user titles as desired. Currently they are:
Junior Member 0 posts
Member 30 posts
Senior Member 100 posts

What would you like to see them set to?

More
19 Sep 2010 17:03 #1149 by SeanR
Set mine to Clueless Owner. :)

More
19 Sep 2010 17:42 #1152 by Kiln_Red

Set mine to Clueless Owner. :)

Are you happy about what you've started here? :p

Actually, I am glad you commented. I don't pay much attention to detail sometimes. I would've never given it a thought had you not mentioned it. It's nothing I take seriously, but then again, maybe it would add to the entertainment factor for some. On another note, I think it is equally important that the forum look appealing to first-time visitors.

But hey, I don't know. Maybe no cares anymore than I do about it. I just want to be sure that we're doing enough here to satisfy our current posters and any potential new ones. I'm new to moderating. I'm learning. :)

More
19 Sep 2010 18:07 #1157 by SeanR
Austin, being new to moderating, you are starting out in the right way. A growing forum. I built up a forum for gamers about 10 years ago. "StarLance" and would not want to deal with one that big again. 10k users a day. I'd go back to doing mod work, but I'm entirely too opinionated and my thresh hold for BS is very low, unless it was created by myself. :)

Are you happy about what you've started here? :p

Actually, I am glad you commented. I don't pay much attention to detail sometimes. I would've never given it a thought had you not mentioned it. It's nothing I take seriously, but then again, maybe it would add to the entertainment factor for some. On another note, I think it is equally important that the forum look appealing to first-time visitors.

But hey, I don't know. Maybe no cares anymore than I do about it. I just want to be sure that we're doing enough here to satisfy our current posters and any potential new ones. I'm new to moderating. I'm learning. :)

More
20 Sep 2010 08:49 #1165 by Kiln_Red

Austin, being new to moderating, you are starting out in the right way. A growing forum. I built up a forum for gamers about 10 years ago. "StarLance" and would not want to deal with one that big again. 10k users a day. I'd go back to doing mod work, but I'm entirely too opinionated and my thresh hold for BS is very low, unless it was created by myself. :)

Thank you, Sean. That means a lot coming from a member such as yourself. I just hope other members will feel the same way, in time, as they get to know me.

I like the updated user titles, Stan. Never could access the User Title Manager myself, so I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help. I just wanted to say that I like what you did though. I think it gives the forum more of a uniform look. I am sure that Brad and others will agree.

More
20 Sep 2010 09:04 #1166 by srshaw3

I like the updated user titles, Stan. Never could access the User Title Manager myself, so I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help. I just wanted to say that I like what you did though. I think it gives the forum more of a uniform look. I am sure that Brad and others will agree.

Thanks, it should help with the confusion, some 928 OC members were concerned that those title related directly to their membership.

More
20 Sep 2010 21:22 #1177 by SeanR

Thanks, it should help with the confusion, some 928 OC members were concerned that those title related directly to their membership.

I did, hence my question. I say just make them up as you go along. As in how a person acts, participates, what they do, that kind of thing. Adds comedy. Unless it really irritates them, then it is just fun.

Surely we don't want one called "Stans ball washer" or anything like that. ;)

More
20 Sep 2010 22:03 #1181 by xstepson

I'm entirely too opinionated and my thresh hold for BS is very low, unless it was created by myself. :)

Amen Brother :)

More
20 Sep 2010 22:11 #1184 by xstepson
First, I always give them a look like "if you door ding this car, your life is over". Then I give them a big engaging smile, at which point, if they are car people, they either ask what kind of car it is, or they relay their stories of 928

More
22 Sep 2010 22:23 #1231 by SeanR
Yes, back on topic.

Pulled up to the same corner store today and a nice looking Nissan 350 was there filling up. Being the concieted Porsche owner that I am, I didn't even look at it. (gave him a thumbs up) and as he drove off, he kept staring at the car.......... I'll share the stories as they come.

More
22 Sep 2010 22:52 #1232 by Pcplod
It's odd, but in the 7 months that I have had mine - I have only had one person that knew what it was that said anything. Two have said "nice car" and the rest just look at me...I guess trying to figure out what it is!

More
22 Sep 2010 23:28 #1235 by SeanR

It's odd, but in the 7 months that I have had mine - I have only had one person that knew what it was that said anything. Two have said "nice car" and the rest just look at me...I guess trying to figure out what it is!

You are going to get everything from a Ferarri, to a new 911, to an AMC Pacer with a body kit. :D

More
25 Sep 2010 15:47 #1338 by Pcplod

to an AMC Pacer with a body kit. :D

Hopefully I won't have my gun with me if I hear this one!

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!