Toe Eye Thread Tap

• Alan
  • Alan's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2013 10:08 #13659 by Alan
Toe Eye Thread Tap was created by Alan
Ed,
I have a tool in circulation right now, the Toe Eye Thread Tap. It was made by John Pitman in Australia and he forwarded it to me for distribution to owners in need in the USA. This has been going well and John has agreed to eventually permanently loan the tool to the OC as long as it is made available for owners to use for a nominal use fee.

I do note your proposed tool loaner terms and I have to say based on my experience you should consider extending the rental period. I know the shorter the period the more available the tool is, however most rentals of the tow eye tap have taken approx 3 weeks round trip from the time I send to the time I receive back, sometimes almost four weeks and only occasionally less than 2 weeks. My policy has been to request a fast turn around, check someone on the waiting list is ready to use it before I propose to send it and to charge extra (out of deposit) after 1 calendar month (ship out date to receive back date).

So I do think 1 week is too short - however it is somewhat based on the tool complexity.

But consider possible scenarios - a popular tool has a waiting list, so you don't know when you will actually get it - it shows up on a Friday and you planned to be away for the whole weekend - its due back next Friday... Not so reasonable...

Another consideration - I have been promoting having local/regional group get togethers for the tool use. To do this takes extra set up time for the recipient/host BUT for the OC it would get visibility for the organization generally, and for the specific tool on loan. I think this should be encouraged too (though clearly NOT any secondary loaning).

Alan Moore

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2013 09:15 #13690 by OBehave
Replied by OBehave on topic Toe Eye Thread Tap
Alan, I have been reading about this tool and its usefullness. I appreciate what John and yourself are doing for the 928 community by making it available to owners. I believe it would be a welcome addition to our club members if you both decide to donate it to the club.
The one week turn around time came from Gary Knox who started with the fender rolling tool. It is certainly a subject that needs discussion if it seems unreasonable. I believe the idea behind it is to make sure it is available to more people in a shorter time but to also prevent "tool hoarding" and to be able to keep the tools in good service for the next person. This is a group and we should certainly visit this and any other concerns so that we can continue to grow as a community.
Thank you for posting this and I hope it brings more people to the forum to discuss.
Ed

More
25 Feb 2013 09:23 #13692 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Toe Eye Thread Tap
Just my opinion, but I can see Alan's point. Maybe we should consider allowing a longer rental period. I don't think our tools would ever be real high demand. Having them available, when needed, is DEFINITELY a value for our members. And as we increase the inventory, we add to the value. Thank you to those who have volunteered their tools.

More
25 Feb 2013 09:51 #13695 by OBehave
Replied by OBehave on topic Toe Eye Thread Tap
I think we also need to use a better term than the word "renting" or "rental" as I have been the receiver of some e-mails with people who think we "charge" to use the tools. We DO NOT Charge for the use of the tool. We only ask the borrower to pay for the shipping fees. The "fee" for keeping the tool longer was called "rental" for lack of a better term at the time and I just copied it over from Gary's original write up. Again I think that the original intent was to keep the tool from being misused or misplaced and to keep it in good repair for the next guy.
As far as the loan time, I understand how you would feel it short but honestly, how long should it take to roll a fender or drill and tap a toe eye hole? I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand why someone would need 4 weeks to tap a tow eye thread or roll 2 or 4 fenders. I will agree tool complexity would certainly justify longer loan terms such as a Sharktuner or timing belt tools etc. as there are unforseen issues that could occur during the job requiring time to get parts etc.
Ed

More
25 Feb 2013 09:57 #13696 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Toe Eye Thread Tap
Well explained, Ed. We are obviously lucky to have you overseeing the program.

More
25 Feb 2013 09:57 #13697 by hb4
Replied by hb4 on topic Toe Eye Thread Tap
Another suggestion for tool rental is that the OC sponsor the rental of any tool that is used in a group session. If it's anything like the Tow Thread event happening in the PNW next Saturday (with a pre-event breakfast), the attendees will be a mix of OC members and non-members. Knowing that it's sponsored by the OC could help gain/regain/retain members. Maybe bundle a banner up with the tool and/or some goodies.

• Alan
  • Alan's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2013 01:08 #13702 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Toe Eye Thread Tap
Ed,
I agree its based somewhat on the tool and usage issues. A sharktuner would take longer to learn and use effectivley than a hammer perhaps...?

Its also based on whether you get to chose when the tool arrives or if it arrives based on a waiting list.

The thread tap is essentially a waiting list scenario - you get it when its ready from the previous user - while you can deferr you don't really know exactly when it will show up and so it may not work well for a quick turn-around. This time of year the weather in some locales has caused delays - one guy had to wait to get his car out of a deep snow drift on the driveway.

Shipping time by flat rate packet (cheapest way) is at least 6 days round trip - so you can see how time can accumulate.

Take the advice or not... but there are few who have really done this and I am one - I agree that typical OC tool use is not likely to be continuous - so slighly longer use periods don't really hurt much. Why does it take 3 weeks to turn around a tow eye tap tool - I honestly have no idea - makes little sense to me either - BUT it often does.

In my view 2 weeks is much better than 1, for some tools maybe it should be 3 weeks - I agree a month is too long.

I do also think the charges should in fact be higher than postage alone, there WILL be some maintenance & re-packaging issues that will need to be covered - best to build a little in and be up-front about it. Stuff happens, the tow eye thread tool has been repaired 3 times now - 2 major and one minor - packaging redone once. Of course you'd always require a deposit and appropriate insurance & packaging during shipping.

I'd also assume there may be some potential international OC users and that may take a lot longer, will be more expensive and can trigger some customs issues... not sure if you've considered doing that.

I was planning for the Tow Eye Tap to ship it to a few trusted European owners and have them handle a list of 'local' within-EU shipments - much quicker, cheaper and less customs hassles. That one is tricky agreed, esp. since I am only the custodian (like you!).

Alan

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!