drifting on a 928

More
12 Mar 2013 23:13 #13865 by emmanuelli
drifting on a 928 was created by emmanuelli
very interesting vids of 928 being used for drifting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2013 14:39 #13869 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic drifting on a 928
What an all-around car we have, even after decades.... HA

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
14 Mar 2013 06:53 #13875 by linderpat
Replied by linderpat on topic drifting on a 928
interesting on a couple of levels. Those cars sound like LS conversions (or other american iron). Also, I would think it would be difficult to drift with the standard 928 set up, due to the Weissach configuration. It takes some effort to toss these cars off track (one of the reasons the 911 crowd never warmed to it - it shelters the sports car driving experience).

More
14 Mar 2013 22:58 #13877 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic drifting on a 928
Did not sound stock in any way... Guy does a pretty good job of keeping it hanging out though for sure!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
15 Mar 2013 12:50 #13881 by emmanuelli
Replied by emmanuelli on topic drifting on a 928

Did not sound stock in any way... Guy does a pretty good job of keeping it hanging out though for sure!

indeed not stock sounding, however its nice to see that 928 shape moving around like that. Did you see the vid of the 928 pikes peak run, mark anderson's i think it was?

on another note, here are a couple of pics of some nice looking mod

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
15 Mar 2013 13:05 #13882 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic drifting on a 928

14239 Did you see the vid of the 928 pikes peak run, mark anderson's i think it was?

Pike's Peak would be Carl Faucet.

More
15 Mar 2013 16:12 #13885 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic drifting on a 928
Stan is correct. That would have been Carl's car.

That wide body mod there is NOT GOOD IMHO... Not carrying the flare in to the door just makes it look unfinished or an after thought or something. I just don't care for it. Do it right and do it fully, or don't do it at all...

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
18 Mar 2013 07:55 #13911 by Mike Frye
Replied by Mike Frye on topic drifting on a 928

interesting on a couple of levels. Those cars sound like LS conversions (or other american iron). Also, I would think it would be difficult to drift with the standard 928 set up, due to the Weissach configuration. It takes some effort to toss these cars off track (one of the reasons the 911 crowd never warmed to it - it shelters the sports car driving experience).

I used to think that too, until I put in Porken's chip setup. The stock configuration does make it pretty hard to maintain a 'no traction' condition, but add just a *little* power and you can get it to break free anytime you want and for as long as you want (or just add bald tires). The Weissach makes it completely predictable and never lets you get to the point where you can't steer with your foot or your hands (usually both) but it doesn't prevent the the rear from breaking free, at least in my experience. What it does prevent is the car swapping ends when you lift wrong on an off-camber turn, at least if you react correctly.

I've already gone through a new pair of all season rear tires due to 'excessive wheel spin' from spirited driving with the Porken chip setup. The fronts still look new. :)

I have to say, I'm not a purist by any stretch of the imagination and I like power sliding through turns as much as the next guy, but watching that guy do that in a parking lot with a 928 just strikes me as auto-abuse. Show me a guy heading into a turn and just letting out the clutch and sliding around it in a controlled display of rear wheel steering and I'm all over it, but that parking lot carousel just looks like it's something a little Japanese car should be doing, not a supercar. JMO.

-PS- Does anyone else have the problem that they can power slide all day long to the left, but not to the right? :) I guess I don't mind jeopardizing my passenger, but putting the driver door first just doesn't feel right. ;) Or maybe it's a closet Nascar thing: I just can't turn right well.

More
22 Mar 2013 09:01 #13971 by emmanuelli
Replied by emmanuelli on topic drifting on a 928

I used to think that too, until I put in Porken's chip setup. The stock configuration does make it pretty hard to maintain a 'no traction' condition, but add just a *little* power and you can get it to break free anytime you want and for as long as you want (or just add bald tires). The Weissach makes it completely predictable and never lets you get to the point where you can't steer with your foot or your hands (usually both) but it doesn't prevent the the rear from breaking free, at least in my experience. What it does prevent is the car swapping ends when you lift wrong on an off-camber turn, at least if you react correctly.

I've already gone through a new pair of all season rear tires due to 'excessive wheel spin' from spirited driving with the Porken chip setup. The fronts still look new. :)

I have to say, I'm not a purist by any stretch of the imagination and I like power sliding through turns as much as the next guy, but watching that guy do that in a parking lot with a 928 just strikes me as auto-abuse. Show me a guy heading into a turn and just letting out the clutch and sliding around it in a controlled display of rear wheel steering and I'm all over it, but that parking lot carousel just looks like it's something a little Japanese car should be doing, not a supercar. JMO.

-PS- Does anyone else have the problem that they can power slide all day long to the left, but not to the right? :) I guess I don't mind jeopardizing my passenger, but putting the driver door first just doesn't feel right. ;) Or maybe it's a closet Nascar thing: I just can't turn right well.

lol, you're like the zoolander of drift? truth be told i'd just like to see more vids of 928's in action. i agree with the auto abuse comment. and porken chips, souds like something out of a plastic junk food bag. i'll consider them once i have most of my car kinks dealt with. more power is always welcome.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!