If Canadian wants to move to US

More
13 May 2013 20:33 #14709 by 928mac
If Canadian wants to move to US was created by 928mac
So what is the trick here, has any one here (canadian) moved to the states and what does it take, do we have to immigrate :rolleyes:
I would hate to pay tax in two countries. just want to retire somewhere warm and cheaper then here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 May 2013 21:05 #14710 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
I believe your primary residence would have to be on the south side as well show proof of income so your not a burden on the system.......theres a few already who are.

you used to have relinguish your citizenship and become an American....I believe that is now no longer applicable.

when I came to Canada, as well as the above, you had to have a clean criminal background.

YMMV :)

More
14 May 2013 17:30 #14722 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
My understanding is that to truly immigrate it is very hard to do. College, job transfer or marriage.....or LOTs of money. But maybe you can just move and be an ex-pat?

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
16 May 2013 18:14 #14777 by smtcapecod
Replied by smtcapecod on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
Seems like a few folks..and a few Canadians judging from when I was there...was Costa Rica. Barring that, I'm not sure about the distinctions between moving/part year residence and then citizenship issues. Dual citizenship can happen, but I don't know about precursors or tax implications.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 May 2013 21:02 #14783 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
there are 'snowbirds' in Canada that spent the winter months in the warmer climes of the US but there are restrictions re the amount of time, 6 months, before the primary residence is questioned then the double tax, each country.

More
17 May 2013 08:06 #14790 by Ducman82
Replied by Ducman82 on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
just drive across and dont leave. thats what they do down south... :-P

More
18 May 2013 10:47 #14803 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
Well after Thursdays wind in Texas, I think I may rethink the location.
I hope know-one we know lost their home

More
18 May 2013 20:30 #14808 by Normy1
Replied by Normy1 on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
Brad, PM me. I can put you in touch with attorneys that have successfully brought foreigners into the United States, I know, my significant other is from Belgium. I warn you in advance, it is NOT an easy thing and it is EXPENSIVE. From what I've heard, it is WAY easier for Canadians to come to the United States, since there are special rules for Canadian property ownership....

Hell, half of Fort Lauderdale's cars during the months of February and March have Canadian plates, since many Canadians own second homes in Florida, and spend half the year here and half back home. My next door neighbor is from Quebec. He's a senile old man, but his nieces' husband Rene is NOT, and he is a total 928 fanatic! He can barely speak English, but over beers in my garage, my pidgin Francaise and his Englais....we talked 928.

Talk to the attorneys Brad. Don't be turned off by weather; If you want to move to Texas DO IT. I lived there for a year, it is a nice place.

More
18 May 2013 21:20 #14809 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
Thanks Norm, we are still undecided and just thinking out loud. I lived in Longview for two years (84-86) and took my engineering there.

More
20 May 2013 22:58 #14832 by otisp1
Replied by otisp1 on topic If Canadian wants to move to US
Interesting thread! Thanks Brad for asking the question. After 48 years of this crap I am certainly not wanting to ever see another snowflake after retiring, unless it's voluntary. Life's too short for that.

More
20 May 2013 23:16 #14833 by xstepson
Replied by xstepson on topic If Canadian wants to move to US

I lived in Longview for two years (84-86) and took my engineering there.

Brad, please don't let Longview sour you on the rest of the state. :)

Move to Marble Falls. You would be almost guaranteed that at least 40-50 of your closest friends with their 30-50 928s would be at your house the first weekend of November every year! LOL

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!