ALMS Porsche Platz at VIR

More
06 Oct 2013 20:40 #16039 by mm928
ALMS Porsche Platz at VIR was created by mm928
Hey all,

Just returned from the ALMS race at VIR this past weekend. There easily over 100 Porsches, and 100 of those (including me!) got a parade lap around 1 1/2 laps of VIR....AWESOME,,,, one bucket list item down.... HA.

There were only 2 Sharks there though!!! come on guys... it was a great weekend of racing. Oh yes, and the only 2 928s there were ... ahem... 16Vs! John and Christian's 82 and my 83. Would have liked to see one of the later cars go around the track.

For a little over 100 bucks you get to use the Porsche tent, snacks, water (it was HOT) and ride around the track once. We had Mobil one, Michelin, the Porsche drivers of the Core racing team and others. I took my son-inlaw and it was only 150 bucks for both.

John and Chris - it was great having you guys out there with us, it made the day even more fun. We will definitely work on next year if Frenzy cooperates. Because they moved Frenzy to Sept 28th, we were able to go to VIR Oct 5th, it is always scheduled the same weekend prior to this year.

We got a lot of comments and interest in our cars....some very cool Porsche examples out there. Lots of Lambos, Vettes of course, some Ferraris, Bimmers and few Audis. Well worth the drive next year from NC, VA, Maryland, SC maybe Tennessee etc. Tip.....get your rooms early....especially if you want to stay in Danville, the track is in the middle of nowhere right on the VA/NC border.....nice roads around it too. Working on the video now,,, the GoPro ran out of juice but my son-in-law used both our iPhones for a lot of it.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2013 23:15 #16040 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic ALMS Porsche Platz at VIR
Very cool Michael

More
14 Oct 2013 09:46 #16105 by smtcapecod
Replied by smtcapecod on topic ALMS Porsche Platz at VIR
Hadn't heard of, or else lost track of that event. (no pun intended...pls..)
Did local PCA chapter set that up?

I'll have to look up ALMS..I'm not much into the serious track side of things.

More
14 Oct 2013 11:51 #16109 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic ALMS Porsche Platz at VIR
It was a zone 2 PCA event, you can Google zone 2 PCA and you will get their site. It has a calendar of events and links to regional sites as well. I believe they do both VIR and Baltimore ALMS races as Porsche Platz events just like the one I described. There may be one in late spring like June, you can go to the VIR website for their calendar as well.

Even if you are not a track guy per se, and I am not, it is fun hearing and seeing the cars and walking though the Paddock and just being there in a beautiful setting.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
16 Oct 2013 08:21 #16115 by gcthree
Replied by gcthree on topic ALMS Porsche Platz at VIR
Of course, the new Tudor United Sportscar Racing deal might well muck-up the ALMS this coming year by dumbing-down the series. Think NASCAR.

I've driven VIR at 3 events, the last 2 were a dear friend who runs a Formula Enterprise car in the SCCA (he finished 4th at the Runoffs this year!) He rents the track and invites his friends to come drive the wheels-off your race or street car. Hell of a (fast!) track....Hell of a friend!

Bob

Second Time Around 928 S4

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!