Curious?

• gcthree
  • gcthree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Nov 2013 10:30 #16212 by gcthree
Curious? was created by gcthree
I'm curious about the number of members of the 928 Owners Club. Seems as though it is a 'must join' if you own and care about your 928, yet the activity all seems to be on Rennlist. Not sure that I get that.

If I have a technical question, I'd be posting it on Rennlist becasue that is where everybody seems to be. From my observations, there's less than a dozen participants surfacing on the forum here.

Just curious....

Bob

Second Time Around 928 S4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gcthree
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Nov 2013 14:49 #16213 by gcthree
Replied by gcthree on topic Curious?
Oh, there it is at the bottom of the page. Nearly 1,000 members.

Where are they (you?)?

More
05 Nov 2013 15:31 #16214 by linderpat
Replied by linderpat on topic Curious?
it would be impossible for this or any other place for that matter to duplicate the wealth of knowledge that has accumulated on rennlist over the years. There are some good things here like the list of roadside assistance, the technical library (which everything and more can be found on rennlist in the 928 forum and in the 928 DIY forum over there, altho content can sometimes be lost there over time), and the tool loaner program. But by and large, rennlist is where you will get the fastest, most comprehensive answers to your questions. Pelican parts 928 forum is a distant second in my view, and I often find the answers there to be more from the hip and many times wrong. There are other 928 forums out there as well, but the quality really drops off.

More
05 Nov 2013 19:59 #16216 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Curious?
It is hard to beat RL as a place to get an answer quickly - whether by asking it or searching. But it is also a rougher environment with less tolerance.

But there are other needs that it does not address. For me I like the OC site as a place to keep a record of my progress. If I tried that on RL I would get hassled for wasting people's time.

Interestingly, as a place to see pics of 928s, the Facebook page is developing very quickly. It is also a place for banter...

There is no central place for 928 videos, tho personally I keep this one: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL14C34F065F200640

So IMO different sites for different things.

• gcthree
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Nov 2013 21:46 #16220 by gcthree
Replied by gcthree on topic Curious?
Not a night goes by where I don't check-in at the OC site. RL is a great resource, but with 919 928 owners in one place, this should be the go-to place for meaningful exchange about your car. I really cannot read enough about these cars and what others are doing with theirs.

Martin:
Just noticed that you're a rotary guy, too! Sold my '93 twin turbo a few years ago; now wheeling an RX8 Shinka...with a few modifications!

Bob

More
08 Nov 2013 13:40 #16225 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Curious?
I have used Pelican occasionally and even 928 forums but for quick answers I agree that RL is good and also to search their forum discussions to get a bigger sense of the issue you may be interested in.

But usually I post here 1st. I certainly like the atmosphere a little better, more like a clubhouse than a wind tunnel. Just need to be prepared for the potential onslaught you may incur on RL. :) They are not as bad in person... HA

I have a lot less to post about as I am pretty far along now in my development.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
18 Nov 2013 21:23 #16272 by AirtekHVAC
Replied by AirtekHVAC on topic Curious?
I too go to Rennlist and pelican....seems not too much traffic here....I check it often, but usually not too much new, especially for those of us still new in this journey....

1978 5sp #30 - Rescue
1979 5sp - Rescue
1982 5sp. - Rescue

More
19 Nov 2013 22:19 #16275 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Curious?
RL has been around (in one form or another) far longer than any of the other sites. It can be a rather harsh group there however, so I find I spend more time here. As Martin noted different places offer different things. The Tech Library here is much easier to use for finding out how to fix stuff on your 928 and there is nothing like the Roadside program anywhere else other than at the 928OC... and of course the tool loaner program is big as well!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!