Driving in Europe ....

More
18 Dec 2013 09:05 #16441 by mm928
Driving in Europe .... was created by mm928
Hi all, I have been traveling for work and currently I am in the Netherlands. But I have a couple of observations. Luckily for me I scored on my rental car.... Turns out the desk clerk at Schipol Airport for Avis had connections to Va, and she got me a nice Audi A4 6-speed to drive instead of a small Eco-box!

It has a nice turbo'd engine and great steering and brakes. It has been fun.

But being here after a few years away, I am reminded that the whole driving experience certainly drives the the way cars are marketed, made and bought here vs the US in particular. Of course those of us who drive Porsches and Audis and BMWs already appreciate the difference :)

But the traffic is more like the difference between a quick Black Racer snake vs a big Boa or similar. Yeah we are the big fat Boa in the US. For the black racer in Eu, in town, out of town, everywhere the takeoff is quick to get up to speed then quick controlled stops. All the while using very accurate steering and handling in general due to all the strange roads and curves and other road objects you never see in the US. It does not matter if someone is old or young or a construction person or business man,,, they all pretty much drive the same, they all (so far) move out of the left lane..... They purposely move to the right to cruise and mostly only pass in the left lane. It is GREAT. Of course no pickups and huge SUVs and even the work trucks and buses etc. move along quickly and pose no real issue I have found.

They definitely drive close to each other and pull in and out ahead of you but they all seem to know exactly when to do that so you do not feel like you are getting cutoff or that they are being rude. Everyone zips around. They seem to be able to do it so you do not have to slow down or hit your brakes etc. I do know all countries are not the same for sure... Belgium (Brussels) for example, Italy, India,,, but if you go to the Netherlands or probably Germany... Enjoy!

It has been fun, but it ends Saturday.... Too bad I cannot bring it home with me.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2013 20:14 #16442 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Driving in Europe ....
Thanks for the story Mike.
I have not experienced over there, but I would like to some day.
Hey how about some pictures of the car your driving and some of the awesome roads.

Ummm I have a personal Fav if you want to meet someone to go for a drink.
I have relatives in the area and maybe you could say hi to 1 for me.
Haugen is the north american version of my name and it changes over there according to where you live.
My name was svorthauhaugen which means half way up the small hill.
the relative I speak of is Jørn Haugerstuen which means on top of the hill.
If you want to go for a drink Jorn, pronounced Yourn would be the guy to ask but be prepaired because over there, if you want to be a viking, ... you must drink like a viking.
he is a very nice person. if you tell him Brad from canada said to take you out, he will.
if you dont know your way around, PM me your hotel name and ILL text him, if you want to meet a true Viking

Brad

More
19 Dec 2013 03:13 #16443 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Driving in Europe ....
Thanks for the offer Brad, is he in the Netherlands? Anyway I am leaving soon and must take out my team after work. Maybe next time.

Yes, if you have not been here before, certainly try to some time. It is an interesting experience seeing the difference in the drivers and the roads too. Funny that you kind of know what to do, even though you may not recognize all the signs... You would think they would give foreign drivers a little sign guide,,, but nope! Just rock and tool and do what everyone else is doing.. Ha. Just seems to work

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
19 Dec 2013 12:08 #16444 by the flying scotsman
Spent many enjoyable trips on the French autoroute when based in Chartres West of Paris and Le Mans......fun roads indeed at double the North American speed limits.

Had fun in Germany also in and around Hockenheim, Stuttgart, Frankfurt and Karlsruhe, fast to the extreme.

Most memorable was in Northern Italy when visiting Imola, Marranello, Modena, Milan and Monza...........the Ferrari factory and Galleria are out of this world.

More
20 Dec 2013 13:41 #16446 by mm928
Were there any tires left on the car after all that? Lol

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
20 Dec 2013 17:47 #16450 by the flying scotsman

Were there any tires left on the car after all that? Lol

Nope :p

At that was different rental cars........Citreon, Fiat and VW.

More
08 Feb 2014 18:06 #16771 by SteveG
Replied by SteveG on topic Driving in Europe ....
Last summer in Provence, (Pernes le Fountain) I nearly repainted the bumper (more like "rearranged the entire front end") on our rental with paint from a tour bus. He was turning out, or, entering the highway from a parking lot as I was meeting said driveway. This was a main road. There were many backroads that have single lane, blind areas. Near our B&B, the road crossed a small canal a sharp right and left. The week before, at daylight a car was found in the canal, no people. It was determined later that an Austrian tourist was responsible. I would love to go back, but maybe I should quit while I'm ahead. :rolleyes:

More
17 Feb 2014 12:43 #16806 by mm928
Yes - those Euro roads can be strange to us,,, go to Holland where you end up in one of the many canals or side streets that are supposed to be for bikes and walking,,,ooopppsss!

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!