Rear valance on 1988 S4 missing designation badging

More
19 Nov 2014 17:02 #17765 by PorscheBob

Please help if possible!

I am a 26 year PCA member and I just sold my 911 and I am looking to buy a 928 S4 to replace it. I saw one at a dealership that was advertised as a 1988 S4 but the rear end has what appears to be a GTS valance on it (reflector stretching between lower red portion of taillights). Even weirder (unless because I am a rookie I am just missing something) there is no badging on the back or anywhere on the car. VIN number suggests the car came with the I302 option (Type Designation On Rear Valance). My only two options to believe now are that a) I am a dope and don't know about some delete option for that year or b) the car, which the dealer claims has a spotless Carfax) was whacked in the rear and the valance was replaced with one from a later year wrecked GTS. The panel gaps in the picture look to be a little off on the right side where the hatchback meets the valance panel. Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2014 18:44 #17768 by LummoxPG
Well, Bob you are not the only one who thought that valance being on a 1988 S4 was odd...I own an 88 S4 and as such am generally curious about them...I saw the afore mentioned shark on E-bay and was looking through the pictures that were posted thinking what a nice looking car it was until I came to the exact photo that you posted of it's tail end...hmmm says I, that is not what it should look like, where's the designation badging and why does it look like GTS? The only rational conclusion that I could draw was that I had been hit and repaired in the tail end and that the owner had for whatever reason decided to alter its original look, As to the dealerships assertion that it has never been in an accident...well I guess that you'll have to purchase the Carfax for your self to know...but I can say that I have no idea why a 928 owner would randomly decide to alter the true rear valance at what must of been some cost to give the impression that the car is something that it's not. Seems fishy to me. Good catch though. Best of luck in your hunt. ps iI don't know the VIN for that car but if it's an 88 ROW it should have twin tailpipes too...jus sayin

1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320
The following user(s) said Thank You: joejabq

More
19 Nov 2014 20:42 #17770 by martinss
As I understand it, there was a period when Porsche only supplied GTS rear valances if you needed a replacement, so I agree it is likely the result of collision damage.

The S4 badge would not look good on a GTS valance as it is quite blocky and high, doubtless why Porsche changed the badge script to the more linear italics of the GTS. Likely the PO made a good 'design' decision to not put on the S4 badge, and not to fake a GTS.

More
19 Nov 2014 21:20 #17771 by LummoxPG
Also if the previous owner had say backed into a telephone pole and decided to pay for the repair himself and not claim the damage on his insurance then the car may well have a spotless Carfax...

1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320

More
20 Nov 2014 07:42 #17772 by PorscheBob
Yeah, it's a shame it never goes the other way and the car was REALLY a GTS that could be bought for S4 money...of course the exhaust and Lord knows what else would still be wrong. Dealer called me back and said the estate they bought it from had eight cars and the guy who owned them was 80 and headed into a hospice. The dealer claimed to have run the 'other' carfax service and it came back clean. It's a shame because if that S4 could be bought right and restored to it's correct designation it would be well worth saving. Under the circumstances however, even the validity of the 30K mileage and the rest of the correct nature of the car would be in serious question. At least they didn't install Corvette side pipes and drop in a Chevy small block to 'improve' it, lol. I have actually SEEN that horror....

More
23 Nov 2014 03:36 #17773 by LummoxPG
The Horror ...tough resale on a Porvette I image

1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!