1982 928 Build # 928510

• provostd
  • provostd's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Jan 2016 14:34 #18664 by provostd
1982 928 Build # 928510 was created by provostd
I recently purchased this sad 928 from a private seller. The car was "absolutely not" as advertised at all. It's not in terrible shape, but it's also not in the condition that the seller stated.

That said I have had my 928 in the shop since December 1 of 2015. Below are just some the repairs that are being performed to make the 928 "road worthy":

1) New steering rack. Tie rods barley holding the right front tire to the car. Boots rotted. Power Steering leak at the rack due to inept prior repairs, missing 4 bolts and used vinyl washers???

2) New brakes all around. Discs and rotors on all 4 wheels. Pads and calipers completely shot

3) New exhaust from stem to stern. Rotted all the way. I chose Borla for the Cat back.

4) Timing belt. Owner claimed that the timining belt was changed. That was true, but the belt was replaced with a cheap Chinese belt. Belt coated in oil because no other components (seals, rollers, water pump) were changed. This car was belt slapped.

5) Power steering pump. The prior owner drove this car for 2 years without power steering? Claimed he thought that this car didn't have power steering. Idiot.

6) Lower front chin spoiler. Just plain missing all together.

7) Sun Roof inoperable but leaks like a sieve. Liar.

8) AC was disconnected. No idea what's up with that.

I will likely take posession of my 82 928 in March due to the time it takes to get original parts from Germany. My total repair cost just to get her roadworthy will be in excess of $5K, but woth every penny. Then I will need to have the exterior restored in Spring.

The moral to this story? Some people should not be allowed to own such beautiful cars. The idiot I purchased from is a perfect example of a non-worthy owner.

If you can't afford to take care of a classic car, you should not buy it and drive it into the ground.

Shame on this prior owner.

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2016 12:55 #18693 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic 1982 928 Build # 928510
Moved this to General discussion so others can comment

And I agree!!! You do not look at 30 + year old Porsches on a whim.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

• provostd
  • provostd's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 Jan 2016 15:57 #18700 by provostd
Replied by provostd on topic 1982 928 Build # 928510
Thanks very much for your reply.

My original post was not intended to be a "buyer beware" kind of message, rather it was more of a "some people just don't get it" post. The problem with 928's (in my opinion) is that they are relatively cheap to buy, but not at all cheap to maintain. I think that a lot of non-Porsche people may get overwhelmed by the cost of OEM parts and the cost of repairs, so they make stupid decisions based on their budgets.

If you're going to own a vintage 928 you need to accept the cost of ownership. I am CERTAIN that most everybody on this website gets and knows that, but I'm not convinced that non-Porsche people get it nor are they willing to bank roll the up keep.

It's a very sad reality.

Dan

Dan

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!