928 Certificate of Authenticity

More
09 Jan 2016 14:42 #18666 by provostd
Hi all, I recently ordered a COA for my 1982 928 from Porsche Cars NA. I can't wait to receive it and learn more about my car since all of the Option Code and Build stickers are missing on my 928.

Has anyone else ordered a COA for their 928? Was it a worthwhile pursuit?

Thanks
Dan

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2016 12:50 #18692 by mm928
Hi - I moved you to general discussion in order to get more responses, where it was did not allow for responses.

As for the COA - I thought about it too, but you can indeed find all that without getting a COA. It is nice to display but is not cheap. I believe over 100.00 US.
So it just depends on what you want and enjoy. I never got one, but I will not say I would never do it. Just my 2 cents.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
13 Jan 2016 15:49 #18699 by provostd
Thanks very much for your reply. The going rate for a COA from Porsche N.A. is now $118.95, as you say, not cheap. Being that all of the build stickers are missing on my lovely 928 I bit the bullet and went ahead with it. When I receive the COA (they say 6 to 8 weeks) I'll update this post and let you all know if I find anything that I wasn't able to find otherwise. If nothing else it should prove to be an exercise to gain knowledge, and at $118.95 it's the cheapest 1982 928 Part I could find! ;)

Dan

Dan

More
13 Jan 2016 17:59 #18701 by mm928
You are right that is a cheap part.... HA

Ok Good Luck!

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
14 Jan 2016 15:38 #18707 by pcar928fan
I have never ordered one of those for any of my cars...I should do that some time...

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
27 Jan 2016 20:03 #18723 by martinss
Hi, the COA is nice to have anyway, but it is not the only source of option codes. If you enter the VIN on the deocder on this site: 928oc.org/928-resources/vin-decoder, the option codes are presented.

The comprehensiveness of the codes seems to vary wildly over the model years. Some cars have extensive code lists that include many things that were standard equipment, while others do not.

I believe that only the NA cars have the option stickers in the hatch area, but I may be wrong about that. Certainly my Canadian-market '88 does and my Japanese-market '90 does not.

More
27 Jan 2016 23:16 #18726 by Grandprix
Early cars didnt have options stickers ( under the rear cargo area mat). that came later. My 81 does not have.

You dont need the COA to get the options- use the vin decoder, ask on rennlist, or go to your local dealer and they can run the vin and get the options.

Mine only had 3!

At Porsche events- like Rennsport or Werks reunion- they can issue COAs on the spot- or they will just tell you the info. I found out where my car was first sold and when...from just asking.

More
30 Jan 2016 14:37 #18736 by provostd
According to the COA my 82 928 has the following options:

* Limited slip differential
* Integrated rear spoiler
* Automatic seat belts
* Digital Radio
* Alarm system
* Electric sunroof
* Platinum Metalic Code U1
* Brown leather Code VL

Any idea how much each of these would have added to the 82 base price of $39,500?

Just curious what the approximate sticker would have been on my 928.

My COA simply states "Information not available"

Thanks so much !!!
Dan

Dan

More
08 Mar 2016 15:26 #18825 by provostd
After 4 months of extensive mechanical and electrical work (and about $7K) my 928 is finally roadworthy, registered and just yesterday she passed MA safety inspection!!!

On to the exterior.

I have a new OEM front chin spoiler and fastener kit which unfortunately did not come with installation instructions...

Does anyone have or know where to find the installation instruction?

Thanks in advance for all of you help!

Dan

Dan

More
08 Mar 2016 18:54 #18826 by martinss

More
11 Mar 2016 20:44 #18829 by jmwise
I've had COAs for both my current 90GT, as well as a former 90GT. If you care about officially documenting your car, it's a nice item to have and can potentially enhance it's value. Particularly since it contains engine and transmission serial numbers, enabling confirmation you have a "numbers matching" car. No VIN decoder that I know of, including the OC's, has this detailed information.

Some accuracy can vary. My former car's COA was correct. My current car was correct with the exception of the MSRP - it was about $24K too low. I suspect my car is a former PCNA Executive car and the "MSRP" was quite possibly the invoice on mine (there are other strong hints to PCNA usage, not just this inaccurate COA).

Jarrod Wise
90GT
928 Owners Club President
928 Registry Chair

More
20 Mar 2016 06:53 #18843 by LeipLouis79
OK- From the outside of this --- I have a 79 Euro 928 (all German- Kilometers instead of mph) - cannot seem to find anything on the history of this car? Tried the PCNA - no luck - car fax does not register with the 10 digit vin. I had to jump through hoops to get a title in Kentucky,( take pics of the car & vin/chassis plate-- as it only had a 10 digit vin. Any help much appreciated

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!