Website cookies

More
22 Sep 2010 21:12 #1224 by SeanR
Website cookies was created by SeanR
How long do you have these set for Stan? Wondering about this. Log in in the morning, click new posts and read. Come back a few hours later and click 'new posts' and a lot of them come up as not read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adminVB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2010 21:29 #1225 by adminVB
Replied by adminVB on topic Website cookies
Looking at www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/vboptions_group_http
The only time setting I see is 14400 for session timeout
I don't think that is the setting you are seeking an answer to though.

• adminVB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2010 21:36 #1226 by adminVB
Found a setting that should make a difference.

The "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type" was cookie based, is now database based. Let's see if that helps.

>>>>>
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
  1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
  2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

More
22 Sep 2010 22:12 #1228 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic Website cookies
What you just changed worked perfectly. Once I read that thread, and hit 'new posts' those that I read are gone.

Nice.

More
22 Sep 2010 22:16 #1229 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic Website cookies
If I've missed it, add a "Forum Issues" string so technical stuff for the forum is kept out of the general chat stuff.

Few other thoughts.

Quick reply-currently have to click "enable quick reply" to quick reply. Just leave the quick reply option open, one less click.,

Pictures- currently allowed are very small, not a huge issue since you are hosting the sight, I'd raise it to 1240x 1020 on uploads. Possible a few steps less for users.

Not being nitpicky, just trying to assist on ease of use.

• adminVB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2010 07:35 #1238 by adminVB
I tripled the size of the embedded photos from 100 to 300. While disk space is not really a concern, bandwidth usage is something I monitor more closely.

with regard to the "quick reply", it is set to "yes, click required", which seems appropriate considering the note as follows:
>>>>>
If you enable Quick Reply, a box will appear on the showthread.php page allowing users to reply to the current thread without needing to load the full newreply.php page.

When Quick Reply is enabled, you may specify whether or not users must click the Quick Reply icon in order to start typing in the Quick Reply editor.

If you choose not to require a click, the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes nonsensical.

We strongly recommend that you set the option to require a click if you use Quick Reply and have Threaded Mode available on your forums.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!