Production of the 918 Spyder

More
02 Oct 2010 10:48 #1469 by 928mac
Production of the 918 Spyder was created by 928mac
Green Light for Series Development of the 918 Spyder

www.porsche.com/microsite/intelligent-pe.../presse/claim_en.gif

Stuttgart. In its session today, the Supervisory Board of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, gave the green light for series development of the Porsche 918 Spyder. Reflecting the overwhelming response from the public and customers to the Concept Study, the Supervisory Board gave Porsche’s Board of Management the mission to develop a production model based on the car already presented. This concept version of an ultra-high-performance mid-engined sports car with plug-in hybrid technology made its debut at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show and at Auto China in Bejing, hitting the headlines worldwide.
Michael Macht, President and Chairman of the Board of Management of Porsche AG: “Production of the 918 Spyder in a limited series proves that we are taking the right approach with Porsche Intelligent Performance featuring the combination of supreme performance and efficient drivetrain concepts. We will develop the 918 Spyder in Weissach and assemble it in Zuffenhausen. This is also a very important commitment to Germany as a manufacturing base.”
The Concept Study of the 918 Spyder allows CO2 emissions of just 70 g/km, corresponding to fuel consumption of 3.0 litre/100 km (94.1 mpg imp) in the NEDC, on the one hand, and the performance of a super-sports car, on the other. This extremely efficient drivetrain technology then forms a symbiosis in the 918 Spyder with truly outstanding design and high-tech motorsport achievements. Further product details of the 918 Spyder will be disclosed in the months to come.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2010 11:14 #1472 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Production of the 918 Spyder
So this will be like a Boxster on steroids, I guess? I drove a 986 daily for about 6 months once. I was surprised at how much I liked it and how well it performed. It wasn't an S, but it still moved a lot better than I expected. It felt really light. The thing that surprised me the most was how much the exhaust note grew on me. It sounded great! Quite different than a 928 but, nonetheless, much more masculine than any other roadster I've ever driven.

More
02 Oct 2010 11:21 #1474 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Production of the 918 Spyder
Except the 918 is a carbon fiber mono cockpit 700HP 94 mpg super car

918 page here

www.inhabitat.com/2010/03/02/918-spyder-...hybrid-electric-car/

More
02 Oct 2010 12:24 #1476 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Production of the 918 Spyder
Still a roadster. By the time something like this were to ever hit production, I would expect it to be a little watered down from what they have the expectations hyped up to be now. We'll just have to stay tuned I guess.

More
02 Oct 2010 12:30 #1477 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Production of the 918 Spyder

Still a roadster. By the time something like this were to ever hit production, I would expect it to be a little watered down from what they have the expectations hyped up to be now. We'll just have to stay tuned I guess.

Thats what I mean it is going into production.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!