bought mystery '85, stored last 3 years

More
04 Nov 2010 21:34 #1883 by fred944
Hi Everybody - just joined. this will be my first 928. It's been sitting for 3 years waiting for somebody to pay a repair bill. Any ideas on things I should do before trying to fire it up? (drain fuel tank, change fuel filter, ?)

Thanks for your help,
Fred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2010 21:43 #1886 by pcar928fan
Fred,

We are going to need a LOT of info first...

Where are you?
What year is the car (and depending on year, Euro S/S/OB might be in order as well)?
Where was the car sitting (inside or out)?

Just quickly though... all fluids should be changed to be on the safe side. coolant, oil, fuel, tranny fluid, BRAKE FLUID... the only one I might not worry so much about would be Power steering. Probably going to need a new battery. Depending on age and environmental factors and last time they were changed, fuel lines could be crap, as could the coolant lines. There is one LITTLE SHORT coolant line that you have to take the air box out to get to, and it runs from the head of the engine to the heater core. This line, FOR SURE, needs to be changed!

Check tires...if the thing has been sitting outside not moving, it will have square dry rotted tires on it now...

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
04 Nov 2010 22:02 #1890 by fred944
Thanks -
The car is in Jupiter FL, and I'm in Westchester County, NY, trying to figure out a good way to get it up to NY. I haven't seen it yet, but I've been told the car (an '85 auto) has 60k miles, and was stored indoors.

More
05 Nov 2010 00:49 #1891 by pcar928fan
Timing belt would be a good thing to do... if the water pump looks good then I'd leave that, usually the tensioners need rebuilding at the very least and there is a great one now available called the Porkensioner that saves a lot of trouble in the long run. If you break or slip a T-belt on a 32V 928 (or a EURO S 16V) you will be in a VERY BAD WAY. So, unless there is documentation that the belt was properly replaced within the last 5 years I'd go ahead and do that too.

All the earlier stuff I mentioned still applies. Not sure about buying a car I have not at least had a VERY, VERY knowledgeable 928 person look at... In fact, there is NO WAY ON EARTH I would buy a 928 w/o at least having someone who knows 928's VERY WELL and who I trust look at it for me carefully first.

Get your 928 purchase wrong and your ownership will be a miserable and frustrating experience, get it right and you will have a dream car! A non-running '85 is a SERIOUS crap shoot! Interior work and paint work either one would exceed the value of the car in running and average condition EASILY! So it is VERY IMPORTANT that the car look good in and out. If the engine is toast then that will easily exceed the value of the car to rebuild (cheaper to find a running used engine most of the time and just put that in).

Good luck and keep us posted.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 Nov 2010 07:15 #1892 by srshaw3
'85 is an interference motor. I would advocate timing belt replacement and maintenance before attempting to start. Having the pistons bends the valves would not be a good start to this experience.

Draining fuel and replacing filter is a good idea as well.

Checking for corrosion on electrical connections would be high on the list as well.

More
05 Nov 2010 08:02 #1893 by Kiln_Red
Do you at least know why it was parked to begin with? I resuscitated an '85 once so I've been in your shoes. I wouldn't even worry about getting fuel to the top of the motor yet. In fact, pull fuse #42 from the CE board. Have a helper crank it and shoot some starting fluid and see what you have first. Just plan on replacing/cleaning all fuel related parts right now. If it was parked with gas in the tank for the past 3+ years, then you can count on at least some trouble there. If it doesn't hit on the starting fluid, and the ignition is okay, you'll know right away why it was parked. :eek:

More
05 Nov 2010 14:08 #1894 by 928mac
Hi there Fred and welcome to the 928 Owners Club.

The reason everyone is telling you to fix it before you try and start it is so that you don't end up with pluged injectors, bent valves or bearing damage that was caused by not checking first.

All of the above items (belt, fuel ect.) may be fine but it is always better to drag these cars home on a trailer and roll them off into the drive way.
It is also way cooler and no risk of getting only half way home on the side of the road with a steaming car that could now cost thousands of dollars more to repair.

If the timing belt was not kept up on by the prev owner then it may not have made it for the 3 year storage and may brake as soon as you turn it over.
Not a good risk because then it will be down for another year while you pull the engine, find the parts reassemble and start all over. Agreed :rolleyes:

Fuel will get a slime like gravy and will plug the filter and or injectors causing un needed diagnoses and down time.

Of course clean fresh oil is a must.

So, rent a trailer and get it home, tell us when you are going and maybe someone close by will be able to help.
TAKE A CAMERA to document your new baby (another must) and take pictures of the vin# and paint and other codes.
WE LOVE LOTS OF PICTURES just check out our car profiles :D

WE will get you to check, and walk you through things like checking your driveshaft preload (it distroyes engine bearings) and other things that have stung others. We sometimes learn the hard way.:eek:

Oh and most importent
Have fun, this is a project that will make you very very proud. :)

Brad Haugen

More
06 Nov 2010 11:35 #1904 by fred944
Jim, Brad, Stan, Austin - thanks for all your suggestions. I will figure out what work was done on the car 3 yrs ago (the original repair bill was apparently $4500!), and then make a plan for bringing it back to life. We're going to try to get our hands on it next week, using a flat bed to tow it somewhere we can work on it.

Fred

More
06 Nov 2010 12:28 #1905 by srshaw3
Good luck, and keep us advised, I have been involved in a few rescues myself, avoiding the expensive mistakes of two TBFs is the key:
Timing belt failure - resulting in bent valves
Thrust bearing failure - resulting in damaged block

More
06 Nov 2010 19:25 #1907 by Kiln_Red

Jim, Brad, Stan, Austin - thanks for all your suggestions. I will figure out what work was done on the car 3 yrs ago (the original repair bill was apparently $4500!), and then make a plan for bringing it back to life. We're going to try to get our hands on it next week, using a flat bed to tow it somewhere we can work on it.

Fred

Hard to imagine that high of a repair bill being anything other than one of the two "TBFs" Stan eluded to. I suspect the first as it is far more common for your MY. Thrust Bearing Failure is much more common on later models with automatic transmissions. That's an EOL (end of life) type of failure. Timing belt failure isn't necessarily that catastrophic, though, it will involve a lot of hard work and some cash to correct. You must pull the engine to remove each cylinder head. This will require a sizable personal tool inventory including, but not limited to, a couple of 928 specific tools.

More
06 Nov 2010 19:33 #1908 by Kiln_Red
Fred,

Where are you located? I recently saw an '85 on Ebay with suspected thrust bearing failure. It was located in Gallatin, TN. Just curious if it may have been the same car we're all talking about now.

More
17 Nov 2010 14:11 #2052 by linderpat
One other thing - I have had 2 sharks that started life in FL, and every bit of the rubber in the engine bay was baked to glass. All rubber will likely need to be replaced unless the car has been stored inside over the years. The FL heat and sun kills rubber bits, especially in an engine bay that gets hot under any circumstnaces. You'll want to do a fuel line refresh early on - call Roger (he's a bd member here) for the parts - he has it all ready in a kit. The other hoses and rubber bits are a little less critical, but you'll want to replace them too.
Almost forgot to mention that these are a few sensors under there that will be brittle and need replacing as well. The engine bay is a good winter project, and if you are handy. a full top refresh is just under $1000 in parts for the 85/86.

More
19 Nov 2010 13:58 #2082 by xstepson
Every 928 that I have resuscitated after sitting for more than a few months needed a fuel pump. Evidently the Ethanol or something in the fuel makes the fuel pumps rust like crazy.
Good Luck!

More
19 Nov 2010 15:01 #2085 by pcar928fan
I don't think they had to do that for BLUE82 and it sat WAY more than it ran. That one lived up in Seattle so maybe a different fuel blend or something. I think all the rest of my cars have been runners when I got them.

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!