928 Newby

• PaulM
  • PaulM's Avatar Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2010 15:40 #2057 by PaulM
928 Newby was created by PaulM
Good afternoon, as a new member to the 928OC and the forum, I thought I should take this opportunity to introduce myself. I retired from the US navy in 1991 after 28 years and moved to Kennesaw, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta, where I went to work for a small R&D company of then 22 employees to over 1000 employees now. I am still with the company but plan on retiring completely in the next one or two years. Now to why I’m initiating this thread.
I recently bought a 1984 928S from a coworker who put the vehicle in un prepped storage over 8 years ago. I have purchased this as a multi-year (3-5) project and am not interested in immediate gratification but look forward to the thrill of getting on the road after a complete restoration. The vehicle was stored inside in northern Louisiana and has not been run since stored. Knowing the previous owner, I feel confident the vehicle was in “decent” running order when stored. I picked it up on Veterans day and hauled in back to Kennesaw on a flat bed. I have already installed a new battery and the car’s electrics power up to the extent the dash lights work and some of the power stuff; sunroof, hatchback lock, courtesy lights, etc. show life.
I read all the posts to fred944’s thread concerning preparing to restore life to the car and feel fairly comfortable with performing all those steps. I would like to at least get the engine running before starting the restoration and to that end I plan on taking the following steps. 1 – Change engine oil & filter. 2 – Drain fuel tank flush out fuel lines and verify the fuel pump works and put about 1 gallon of fresh gas in the tank. 3 - Remove the plugs and put about 1 teaspoon of ATF in each of the cylinders to help dissolve any corrosion that may have developed by the engine not being run for 8 years. 4 – After leaving the engine sit with the ATF in the cylinders for about a week, try to turn the engine over by hand to make sure the moving parts move! 5 – Following this I plan on running compression and leak down checks on the block. 6 - If all this works I then plan on trying to start the engine to check for any major problems (read seriously bad noises) and verify that the power is supplied to the wheels.
If all of this works, I will be satisfied that the horses are bridled and ready to move the wagon and I will then begin the restoration process. This process will include removing every part I can possibly remove, examining each item cleaning or trashing as needed and tagging those items I choose to re-use. I will take the body down to the sheet metal and 4 wheels (to facilitate moving around) and plan on using a local body shop to do the metal work (actually very little rust and only a few dings) and new paint job.
Following the paint job and re-installation of the fixed glass (windshield, hatch, rear quarter windows) by the body shop I will then start to reinstall the goods. At this time I will replace all the rubber I find questionable (which is probably all rubber) and do a minor overhaul of the engine based on the compression and leak down checks run before disassembly. This will include new gaskets, seals, timing belt, plugs, plug wires, etc. that can be done without invading the integrity of the piston, crankshaft assembly. I will also completely overhaul the braking system and inspect and replace any worn or suspect suspension parts.
Lastly, an entirely new interior (the current on is pretty ratty after 8 years).
I would appreciate any suggestions, recommendations, guidance, etc as all you forum members have been there to some extent before.
I will be sure to take many, many pictures and post regularly once I begin the process.
Thanks in advance for all the help I’m sure I will get.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2010 16:37 #2058 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic 928 Newby
Wow, looks like you got it under control.

8 years is a long time.

All fluids Engine, trans, diff, fuel and filters for sure.

I would also not trust a 8 year old Timing belt.

Then I would start it and check for leaks and fix it as I drove it but thats me.

I like your approach more fitting bringing a super car back to life.

Congrats on coming to 928 OC

I look forward to the pictures and profile which you can start in the profile area.

We are glad to have you Paul, and don't forget to put your cars info in your sig.

Brad

More
17 Nov 2010 19:06 #2062 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic 928 Newby
Welcome to the club...I think I sent out your welcome package recently...though I don't see the record of that on my little cheat sheet in front of me. I recognize the city/state you are in.

I think your game plan is stellar!

I don't think you need to remove the rear hatch glass for painting but that is about the only thing I would change about what you said you plan on doing. There seem to be plenty of room between the glass and the panel when you take the trim off to do all the work needed in that area. Qtr glass will need to come out of course and if you choose to take the windshield out plan on having it break in the process...replacements are not overly expensive, but I think you can leave the windshield in for all the paint work you are doing as well.

Most of the rubber will be shot. Brakes might have stuck pistons, and certainly that fluid will need to be changed out too.

There are two interior folks to consult with. Paul Champagne in Corpus Christi, TX and Robert Budd in MI. They both do great work. I have a fair bit of Paul's stuff in three of my cars and LOVE IT!

The interior restoration may well exceed ALL THE OTHER costs on this car! Just depends on how far you want to go. Repaints and reupholstery on these cars depending on how far you take them can exceed the cost of the car PLUS the cost of mechanical repairs!

Good luck, take LOTS OF PICS and keep us posted here REGULARLY! PLEASE! We LOVE this kind of stuff!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
17 Nov 2010 20:27 #2064 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic 928 Newby
Welcome, Paul. I admire your enthusiasm. I just wanted to weigh in on one thing. There is absolutely no need for adding ATF to the cylinders. It's an alusil engine cast. Somewhere around 90% aluminum and 10% silicon, I think. Silicon for the cylinder surfaces. To put it simply, these engines just don't freeze up due to corrosion. If it won't turn over then something else is obstructing it from rotating.

• PaulM
More
17 Nov 2010 23:51 #2066 by PaulM
Replied by PaulM on topic 928 Newby
Brad, James, Austin Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. My biggest concern was the engine being seized up for some reason and Austin put my mind to rest on that. I have read a little on the alusil engines but feel better now. I'll dispense with the ATF but will still turn over by hand to make sure it's free. I really don't plan on running it for more than 30-45 minutes total.
I'm prepared for many leaks. I imagine nearly every seal/gasket is dried out.
James, I've looked at Robert's web site and am very impressed with his work. I will take a look at Paul's site also - thanks for the info. Brad, appreciate the tips on the fluids. They will all be replaced as it goes back together. If the interior weren't so ratty, I would consider driving it as I work on it but the interior is a disaster.

More
18 Nov 2010 00:15 #2067 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic 928 Newby
Hey Paul, How about a picture or two

More
18 Nov 2010 07:53 #2071 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic 928 Newby

Brad, James, Austin Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. My biggest concern was the engine being seized up for some reason and Austin put my mind to rest on that. I have read a little on the alusil engines but feel better now. I'll dispense with the ATF but will still turn over by hand to make sure it's free. I really don't plan on running it for more than 30-45 minutes total.
I'm prepared for many leaks. I imagine nearly every seal/gasket is dried out.
James, I've looked at Robert's web site and am very impressed with his work. I will take a look at Paul's site also - thanks for the info. Brad, appreciate the tips on the fluids. They will all be replaced as it goes back together. If the interior weren't so ratty, I would consider driving it as I work on it but the interior is a disaster.

Glad I could be helpful. These engines, particularly the US 4.7L, are as close to bulletproof as it gets. No thrust bearing concerns or timing belt concerns like on later cars. My '84 sat up for about 10 years before I got it running again. All it took to get running again was a hot battery, a fuel pump, and some fresh gas. Didn't idle well. Cleaned all grounds, replaced fuses, and replaced all the old rubber intake components. About $500 and 5 hours of work invested later, I had a darn near road worthy 928 again. :)

• PaulM
More
18 Nov 2010 17:20 #2076 by PaulM
Replied by PaulM on topic 928 Newby
I managed figure out how to shrink my photo to an acceptable size. This is just after I got it home and had rinsed off the accumulation of dust & dirt. I'll clean up some more and post later. I'll shrink some more pics I took as I get time. I'm on the road right now so might be a few days.

Attached files [img]media/attachments/2130=177-Front_View.jpg[/img]

More
18 Nov 2010 23:03 #2079 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic 928 Newby
Paul,
You have a heck of a project before you but you have a realistic time line and it will be a nice labor of love for you! When you are done you will have a GREAT CAR!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!