body kits

• spdfreek
  • spdfreek's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2010 03:38 #102 by spdfreek
body kits was created by spdfreek
Does anyone know if you can modify a body kit that fits a 87- 95. To fit a 85. I'am asking this because the is very few body kits for my year of 928 s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adminVB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Feb 2010 20:43 #103 by adminVB
Replied by adminVB on topic body kits

Does anyone know if you can modify a body kit that fits a 87- 95. To fit a 85. I'am asking this because the is very few body kits for my year of 928 s

Well, anything can be modified, so the short answer is "yes".
As to the cost, and effort required, that depends on the kit used.

Putting the 87-95 (S4) fenders and bumper covers on an 85 (S) has been done many times.

Asking the vendor of the kit should provide you some good directions.

For the most part, if you are considering a body kit then the difference between adapting it to an S vs an S4 is probably just another few items on a fairly long list anyways. :eek: But they are often done, so many have found it worthwhile.

• spdfreek
More
11 Feb 2010 04:54 #104 by spdfreek
Replied by spdfreek on topic body kits
I'am curently restoring a 85 928 that has been setting for several years but only has 86,000 miles on it so it's well worth the money. But I'am going to update the 928s to the look of the 95. I'am glad this will work. Thanks.

• adminVB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2010 13:27 #105 by adminVB

I'am curently restoring a 85 928 that has been setting for several years but only has 86,000 miles on it so it's well worth the money. But I'am going to update the 928s to the look of the 95. I'am glad this will work. Thanks.

I don't know how much you want to hear, or whether you want to hear anything at all. But definitely a 928 that has been sitting for years is NOT necessarily worth putting money into it. While 86k miles is relatively low, it is just a small part of the equation.

Cars deteriorate when left sitting, and 928s more so than most cars. So there could be plenty of deferred maintenance, easily costing thousands of dollars.

It is also good to be sure of why the car was left sitting, often it is due to the cost of repairs needed.

I love to see 928s revived, so wish you well, but often someone new to the 928 is so enamored that due diligence of understanding the true value of the car is overlooked.

Bottom line, 928s are cheap to buy, but can be very expensive to own.

• spdfreek
More
12 Feb 2010 07:25 #107 by spdfreek
Replied by spdfreek on topic body kits
I rescerched 928 for over a year before I even considerd buying one and I'am aware that they can be exspensive to own,repair and restore. I have a close friend that use to be a mechanic at a porsche deaer and he knows the 928's. Aslo most of my relative's are mechanics or grew up like I did working on and restoring cars. I do apperciate the advice thank you ..... the car was setting because the owner at the time passes away then it was sold to a kid in. N.C. who lost his job due to the economy so he had to sell it. I did check it inside out and new what I was in for. Thank you again. For everyone who is here helping to keep the 928's alive and sharing there advice and knowlage on these cars.

More
16 Feb 2010 12:11 #111 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic body kits

I don't know how much you want to hear, or whether you want to hear anything at all. But definitely a 928 that has been sitting for years is NOT necessarily worth putting money into it. While 86k miles is relatively low, it is just a small part of the equation.

Cars deteriorate when left sitting, and 928s more so than most cars. So there could be plenty of deferred maintenance, easily costing thousands of dollars.

It is also good to be sure of why the car was left sitting, often it is due to the cost of repairs needed.

I love to see 928s revived, so wish you well, but often someone new to the 928 is so enamored that due diligence of understanding the true value of the car is overlooked.

Bottom line, 928s are cheap to buy, but can be very expensive to own.

I hear this type of discouraging message being conveyed to new 928 owners, and/or those looking to restore, all of the time. Frankly, I don't understand it. A 928 is so much cheaper to keep up today than it was as a newer car thanks to the internet firstly, but has no other 928 owner out there ever heard of a parts car. They're EVERYWHERE. As you said, these cars have become cheap to buy over the years. I bought an '85 model two years ago with a perfect body, interior, and motor for $1,300! The transmission was fried due to improper towing, though. That vehicle's interior has since replaced the one in my '84 and it spared it a new battery and tires also. I've since sold parts from it for a sum of about $1,000, too. Oh yeah, and now my dad's 86 has all of the body panels, glass, and wiring it needs to be "restored."

I respectfully disagree with you, Stan. Please remember that. I just hear that type of talk in the 928 community all of the time and it annoys me so badly. I understand your efforts to warn someone of the financial risks of owning/maintaining a 928. There certainly are risks, but then again, shouldn't anyone owning a Porsche know that. If someone has enough passion to restore a car, they'll make it happen. Let's just be sure to be as encouraging as we are discouraging.

By the way, if anyone needs a perfectly good US 85-86 32-valve motor with 90K on it, let me know. :D

• adminVB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2010 18:54 #112 by adminVB

We can agree to disagree :)

My comments were in direct response to the above statement and in particular what I have highlighted in red.

Reviving or restoring a 928 isn't "worth the money" when a better example can be purchased for less than the total cost of the revival/restoration. Particulaly now with very good 928s available relatively inexpensively, the "smart money" is to buy one already revived/restored.

Please note, I never said that it wasn't an enjoyable hobby, nor that buying one that needs works, so is affordable and payments can be made on parts as needed to fix it up isn't a worthwhile hobby.

All too often someone buys a 928, pays too much and then finds out the cost of restoring it. This doesn't result in a happy 928 owner. I would rather people understand the costs, and decide it is worthwhile, so the experience is a positive one.

More
17 Feb 2010 11:56 #113 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic body kits
Stan,

I absolutely understand what you mean, and what your philosophy is on the 928 as far as an investment. My feeling as a 928 enthusiast is that these cars will someday soar in value because of their age and rarity. Only 60,000 of these cars ever made it across the Atlantic if I have my figures right. In my opinion, it's because the 928 can be bought so cheap in present times that make it a great investment MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

I concede that your position is a far more common one. Just wanted to put another spin on the topic. That's all. :)

• Richter12x2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2010 12:20 #165 by Richter12x2
Replied by Richter12x2 on topic body kits
Ownership/maintenance costs of 928s and whether or not they're worth it are very dependent on your set of values. :D

For example, if you're a checkbook restorer/maintainer, then unless you're in a few gifted regions, even the Porsche dealer won't be too familiar with the 928, and you're going to pay them to learn, and pay Porsche retail on parts that haven't been made in 15 - 30 years. If you're careful and don't mind getting your hands dirty, it's not too bad though.

As far as worth it: will you ever recoup your investment if you sell the car later? I doubt it. But will you have a blast cruising around in a Porsche that's more fun than a 911 at a fraction of the price? Oh yeah. There are definitely worse ways to spend some money! :D You're never gonna get it back, but you could be collecting beanie babies, too.

More
24 Sep 2010 21:12 #1316 by monte928
Replied by monte928 on topic body kits
my 78 euro was in bad shape when i got it and every one that seen it said boy you got your work cut out for you. The interior was trashed and I gutted it and with ebay and craigs list I found most of my parts and what I didn't find I made or fixed and my interior is 100% now and I spent maybe $500.00 and my time and had a blast doing it. The exterior was fair and I replaced the hood,front bumper skin,rear hatch and window motors and mirrors. plenty of body work and a paint job. My son is an auto body man and with his help we have put it all togather and we have to paint it yet but with all of that I still don't have $1800.00 in it and I got the car by bartering in exchange for some home improvment work that was mostly labor and $150.00 in material. I have never had so much fun working on it and I will never be able to replace the time Ive spent with me son with anything greater then that.

More
24 Sep 2010 21:23 #1317 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic body kits

my 78 euro was in bad shape when i got it and every one that seen it said boy you got your work cut out for you. The interior was trashed and I gutted it and with ebay and craigs list I found most of my parts and what I didn't find I made or fixed and my interior is 100% now and I spent maybe $500.00 and my time and had a blast doing it. The exterior was fair and I replaced the hood,front bumper skin,rear hatch and window motors and mirrors. plenty of body work and a paint job. My son is an auto body man and with his help we have put it all togather and we have to paint it yet but with all of that I still don't have $1800.00 in it and I got the car by bartering in exchange for some home improvment work that was mostly labor and $150.00 in material. I have never had so much fun working on it and I will never be able to replace the time Ive spent with me son with anything greater then that.

That is a great story. I hope you keep on enjoying the 928 and the time with your son :)

More
24 Sep 2010 22:24 #1318 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic body kits

Even if you got it for FREE, "well worth the money" will not apply once you are done! Sorry to be so harsh, but a 928 that needs "body work" (regardless if it is just for modification or repair) or interior work or engine work is going to cost WAY more than the car is worth and 86k miles is not even remotely LOW either and '85's are certainly nothing special... I have an '82 with 3682 miles...now THAT IS LOW! Have two friends one with a '78 that has 1426 and one with an '89 GT (talk about SPECIAL!!!) with 329 miles on them (well the 1426 has gone back to Germany, but HE has a friend also with a '78 that has 1500 on it...)

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
24 Sep 2010 22:40 #1319 by pcar928fan

I absolutely understand what you mean, and what your philosophy is on the 928 as far as an investment. My feeling as a 928 enthusiast is that these cars will someday soar in value because of their age and rarity. Only 60,000 of these cars ever made it across the Atlantic if I have my figures right. In my opinion, it's because the 928 can be bought so cheap in present times that make it a great investment MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

I concede that your position is a far more common one. Just wanted to put another spin on the topic. That's all. :)

Monte,

That is an awesome story about you and your son working on and restoring that car! THAT IS THE WAY TO DO IT! FOR SURE! I suspect when it is done you can pull it up next to my '82 though and go, damn, so THAT IS WHAT A NEW 928 SHOULD LOOK LIKE! Just saying a restored car (unless handled with completely new stuff and done by the most detail oriented professional) is not going to be like new and not going to be worth the value of the time and cost of the parts put in to it...In your case Monte, that is NOT why you are doing it! I applaud you!

Austin, you must not have been doing this very long... those rose colored glasses are really clouding your vision here! Oh, your numbers are wrong too by the way. About 56,000 928's were made WORLDWIDE, only a bit over 26,000 came to the US. That is a HUGE NUMBER OF CARS! The only 928's likely to see any reasonable return on money spent for the next few decades are going to the nicest lowest mile examples of the GTS! With only 400 imported from '93-'95 THOSE are RARE!

A modified car will be worth FAR LESS! To the OP you would be MUCH BETTER SERVED (unless you are planning to keep the car forever and enjoy it for yourself) bringing the car back to ORIGINAL look and condition. That will net you the most money, but you still won't get the value of your time out of it after you have done all the work...

All that said, I am a HUGE proponent of SAVING THE 928! I am working on my 3rd save now! My first was my '81 that now has 160k miles on it, my second was Mark Anderson's old race car (now up and running) and my 3rd has just begun and is a EURO85! It is making progress... I would like to see them ALL SAVED, but that is not realistic so you have to pick the ones you like and/or the ones that might have long term value (ie. '89 GT, GTS, CS, Sport...etc).

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
25 Sep 2010 05:56 #1321 by srshaw3

I would like to see them ALL SAVED, but that is not realistic so you have to pick the ones you like and/or the ones that might have long term value (ie. '89 GT, GTS, CS, Sport...etc).

Most of us don't buy them to save them, but rather to drive them :D

More
25 Sep 2010 17:31 #1346 by pcar928fan
^^^^^^^
I didn't say you couldn't drive them Stan! Look at me, I drive ALL my cars...even BLUE82 gets a few miles every year! I drive the heck out of mine in fact. Almost all of them have even spent some time on the race track!

By "save" I mean return them to their glory days of looking as awesome as they can and driving as nicely as they can! That is the SAVE vs. buying a busted POS and then just driving it till the wheels fall off and sending it to the junk yard...

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
25 Sep 2010 18:36 #1351 by srshaw3

^^^^^^^
I didn't say you couldn't drive them Stan! Look at me, I drive ALL my cars...even BLUE82 gets a few miles every year! I drive the heck out of mine in fact. Almost all of them have even spent some time on the race track!

By "save" I mean return them to their glory days of looking as awesome as they can and driving as nicely as they can! That is the SAVE vs. buying a busted POS and then just driving it till the wheels fall off and sending it to the junk yard...

I wasn't disputing what you said, just pointing out that people can also just buy a 928 to enjoy driving :)

More
25 Sep 2010 19:30 #1353 by pcar928fan

I wasn't disputing what you said, just pointing out that people can also just buy a 928 to enjoy driving :)

Oh, yes of course...it is MUCH cheaper to do that too! That said, I would love to see EVERY 928 on the road looking like it is READY FOR A CONCOURS event! That would really improve the opinion others have about our cars. I think there are more nice 928's on the road today than there has been in quite a long time (heck, maybe ever) and I think that is helping, but you do still see some pretty sad cases taking all our cars down a notch or two...

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!