membership for a friend

• the flying scotsman
  • the flying scotsman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Jan 2011 22:34 #2655 by the flying scotsman
membership for a friend was created by the flying scotsman
Thinking of our club and its membership I'm curious what our exec thinks of current members procuring a one year membership for friends as new members.

While these new members are on board we build the club with organised events and technical now how gained from our collective 928 experiences, our career experiences and technical fortitude.

Not sure if this needs to go before the exec for vote but I put it out there for thoughts and comments.

cheers........Malcolm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2011 22:45 #2656 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic membership for a friend
I can't think of any reason why the board would need to vote on this. Of course we would want the gift recipient to "accept" the gift, but that is all I can think of.

Sounds like a good idea :D

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Jan 2011 23:08 #2657 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic membership for a friend
Excellent Stan.........thx for the support.

James, as membership chair, what are your thoughts? Can we offer a small incentive to current members to promote enthusiastic response? Gift certificate at our favourite vendor?

More
03 Jan 2011 01:18 #2658 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic membership for a friend

Thinking of our club and its membership I'm curious what our exec thinks of current members procuring a one year membership for friends as new members.

While these new members are on board we build the club with organised events and technical now how gained from our collective 928 experiences, our career experiences and technical fortitude.

Not sure if this needs to go before the exec for vote but I put it out there for thoughts and comments.

cheers........Malcolm

Not sure what you mean Malcolm.
Do you mean for a member to pay for the membership to encourage someone to join?

More
03 Jan 2011 04:51 #2659 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic membership for a friend
Great idea. Like buying a subscription to a magazine for a friend.

More
03 Jan 2011 07:10 #2661 by srshaw3

Excellent Stan.........thx for the support.

James, as membership chair, what are your thoughts? Can we offer a small incentive to current members to promote enthusiastic response? Gift certificate at our favourite vendor?

Unfortunately James doesn't have board approval to offer something of value.

I am not sure we have the value in the membership to provide and financial incentive. About half the annual membership goes back to the members for the sign-up/renewal memento, the rest of the money is used to support events.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2011 09:03 #2662 by the flying scotsman

Not sure what you mean Malcolm.
Do you mean for a member to pay for the membership to encourage someone to join?

Essentially Brad yes.

Per Dave's comment.......like a buying a magazine subscription for a good buddy.

More
03 Jan 2011 09:06 #2663 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic membership for a friend
Who is Fred?

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2011 09:15 #2665 by the flying scotsman

Unfortunately James doesn't have board approval to offer something of value.

I am not sure we have the value in the membership to provide and financial incentive. About half the annual membership goes back to the members for the sign-up/renewal memento, the rest of the money is used to support events.

ok Stan understood.

Do you or any other exec member (do they participate?) have input/thoughts?

More
03 Jan 2011 09:20 #2666 by srshaw3

ok Stan understood.

Do you or any other exec member (do they participate?) have input/thoughts?

Participation varies...

Perhaps if James was willing, we could track the number of members sponsored/attracted/paid for by existing members, and have some type of rewards/prize on annual basis. I would need to put it to the board for a vote, so we would need to get more details first. Would that be incentive enough?

More
03 Jan 2011 09:38 #2667 by 928mac
Hey didn't I ask you to join Malcolm over on Rennlist, or were you already a member.

(trying to start early for my prize) :D

I have asked so many to join, I can't remember who all they are

More
03 Jan 2011 09:46 #2668 by srshaw3

Hey didn't I ask you to join Malcolm over on Rennlist, or were you already a member.

(trying to start early for my prize) :D

I have asked so many to join, I can't remember who all they are

Malcolm has been a 928 OC member for several years.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2011 10:27 #2670 by the flying scotsman

Would that be incentive enough?

It was a thought I had so threw it out there for discussion.

The obvious bottom line benefit is to minimise the incentive while not missing the bigger picture of what new member dues bring into coffers........win-win.

If you could put the idea before the board Stan I believe an overal exec decision would be appropriate :)

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2011 10:31 #2671 by the flying scotsman

Malcolm has been a 928 OC member for several years.

At least 5.......perhaps more; hence my comments re. being designated 'junior' but thats in the past now.

If you recall Brad I'm the regional contact who welcomed you to 928OC :D It was Jan '10 when we talked email.........yes I keep them (anal engineer:eek:)

More
03 Jan 2011 10:36 #2672 by srshaw3

It was a thought I had so threw it out there for discussion.

The obvious bottom line benefit is to minimise the incentive while not missing the bigger picture of what new member dues bring into coffers........win-win.

If you could put the idea before the board Stan I believe an overal exec decision would be appropriate :)

Bringing a detailed idea to them is what is usually needed. The more help I can get in putting this together first, the better for me. I have a court date in two days, so am really quite unfocused right now, I apologize.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2011 13:55 #2674 by the flying scotsman
Time is indeed a precious comodity Stan.

As I had suggested previously this is a membership initiative and perhaps could be spearheaded there.

More
03 Jan 2011 14:15 #2675 by srshaw3
James, as membership chair, is not on the board. He can request the board to take action of course, but would need to do so through a board member.

As a board member, I am happy to help, just looking for clarity on what I should present to the board. I could present the idea I suggested, but there may be a desire for something different from James, or the active members, such as yourself.

I do appreciate any activity and encouragement towards building a bigger and stronger 928 Owners Club :)

I thank you for your efforts.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2011 16:42 #2676 by the flying scotsman

James, as membership chair, is not on the board. He can request the board to take action of course, but would need to do so through a board member.

Stan, I repeat I understand but perhaps, as I haven't seen much activity from other board members, you are busy with legal matters and my time becomes very limited at end of today another strong active member can run with this idea.

Since the holiday email communication where support was offered to ideas I've presented 3 initiatives. One was immediately implemented (golf shirt), this subject matter has momentum and even without an incentive to the existing member I believe this shall increase our membership at the same time increase revenue. The 3rd is an expansion of a thread on Rennlist where 928OC broadens the scope of a 928 parts supply base to a more international listing. As you can probably surmise from this thread paying shipping and customs which meets or exceeds the original part cost is a pet peeve.

Some of us recognised the inactivity last year and put our hands up to be board members for this year but alas didn't gain the required votes. With significant effort hopefully the membership will realise who is really driving the club and the change for the good will transpire.

I have sent of a PM to James to ensure he is aware of this thread.

More
03 Jan 2011 17:06 #2677 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic membership for a friend
Hmmmmm....

I just encourage every 928 owner that I know to join. I figure if they are interested enough they will put their own money up for it. If I had a good friend with a 928 and I wanted him involved but he was in a bad financial place (which would of course beg the question of WHY own a 928 in the first place) then I would pay for them.

For me to track this would be quite a PITA! I have spent over 3 hours on 928OC stuff already today and there are a few more hours yet to spend just to get caught up from the notice for renewal that went out 3 days ago!

I am loath to add to my already very full 928OC plate. I even have a few helpers and it is still a daunting task! How David Lloyd did it alone is beyond me!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jan 2011 18:23 #2678 by the flying scotsman
Thx for the input James and fully appreciate how busy you are already.

The intention of promoting a friend to 928Oc is not strictly financial but rather awareness as many owners and potential owners are drawn to other sites which consume their time and dollars.

Stan, if the idea is deemed worthy of support and existing 'chairs' are under water perhaps theres an opportunity to delegate to another board member to rise to meet the challenge.

As I depart for foreign destinations (I'll attempt to contribute as much as possible) I leave this matter in the clubs capable hands.

More
03 Jan 2011 20:17 #2679 by srshaw3

Stan, if the idea is deemed worthy of support and existing 'chairs' are under water perhaps theres an opportunity to delegate to another board member to rise to meet the challenge.

I can ask them to peek in, and see if there is any offer to help...

More
03 Jan 2011 20:39 #2680 by srshaw3

Stan, I repeat I understand but perhaps, as I haven't seen much activity from other board members, you are busy with legal matters and my time becomes very limited at end of today another strong active member can run with this idea.

Since the holiday email communication where support was offered to ideas I've presented 3 initiatives. One was immediately implemented (golf shirt), this subject matter has momentum and even without an incentive to the existing member I believe this shall increase our membership at the same time increase revenue. The 3rd is an expansion of a thread on Rennlist where 928OC broadens the scope of a 928 parts supply base to a more international listing. As you can probably surmise from this thread paying shipping and customs which meets or exceeds the original part cost is a pet peeve.

Some of us recognized the inactivity last year and put our hands up to be board members for this year but alas didn't gain the required votes. With significant effort hopefully the membership will realise who is really driving the club and the change for the good will transpire.

I have sent of a PM to James to ensure he is aware of this thread.

I sent an email to the board, asking them to look in, and you were copied.

I think we need a volunteer to manage the vendor forum index idea as well.

We are going to move forward with the technical library. I believe Brad is going to help, and we Dwayne is going to send me a CD with his documentation. I will create a new forum when I have the content in hand.

More
03 Jan 2011 21:04 #2681 by 928mac
You guys know I will help where I can, but it seems Family stuff has take priority, as it should.

I don't want to get into a full time commitment yet because I do not want to drop the ball on you guys and right now I have to see Deb through first.

On another note (to make things more crazy)

I am thinking of buying this house as a winter Home, what do you think.

homes.point2.com/US/Texas/Dallas-County/...03066901-Photos.aspx

More
04 Jan 2011 01:08 #2682 by pcar928fan
Malcolm,

I still don't think I understand the point really... If people don't know about the 928OC and you tell them about it and they do nothing then they don't have to much interest. If you tell them and they do something then they DO have interest. If you tell them and then PAY FOR THEM, they don't have any skin in the game and I am not sure they will become serious participating members.

We had a membership drive in our PCA region (but I have no idea how they tracked it) and the point was to get new folks to join and they would give the name of the person who invited them and the person at the end of the year who had got the most number of folks to join received an award of some kind. I think that is a GREAT IDEA to do here, and if you have the money and are compelled to pay for someones membership I think that is fine too, but just don't expect those folks to be fully committed since they didn't care enough to pony up their own hard earned cash.

Brad, nice house, cheap too! Not a big fan of Mesquite, but it is close to the D/FW 928 clan! If it were me I'd probably look over in the Ft. Worth area vs. the Dallas side of the Metroplex or even further north in the Sherman, or Denton areas...better still the Texas Hill Country to the North and West of Austin... D/FW can still get damn cold and icy, less chance of that down here and the hill country is SO PRETTY...but also more costly...trade offs!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
04 Jan 2011 07:08 #2683 by ROG100
Replied by ROG100 on topic membership for a friend
I am with James on this one - while I applaud any effort to increase membership I see this idea transforming into another job for someone who already has to much to do - leaving diminishing returns.

The idea of being able to gift a membership to a friend is good but monitoring the results is the task.

The "biggest bang for the buck" as I see it is to increase membership via local events. Getting known 928 owners to attend events and then to get them to join the OC is a full time job in itself. James and I are lucky in that there is a large group of 928 owners in our home State, however only a small percentage are OC members.

James needs another job like he needs to import another GTS from Europe
8>).

As a 928 vendor I see hundreds and hundreds of 928 owners who have never heard of the 928 Owners Club or Rennlist for that matter. Laura (928sRus Office Manager) and I have been looking at a way to add a flyer, to every package we send out, which extols the virtues of 928 OC membership. This is particularly important for International 928 owners. If I can get them to push the OC at their own events and they see the reward in getting sponsorship to further their event we could increase membership 5 fold.

We also need to have this forum as “THE” 928 forum where everyone in the 928 World visits for information et al.
I spend countless hours on all the other forums around the World and the 928 community cries out for a 928 central forum.
We need to concentrate our efforts on achieving that goal. This is happening already and I see progress.

Just my 5c for a Tuesday morning.

More
04 Jan 2011 08:35 #2684 by srshaw3

The idea of being able to gift a membership to a friend is good but monitoring the results is the task.

The "biggest bang for the buck" as I see it is to increase membership via local events. Getting known 928 owners to attend events and then to get them to join the OC is a full time job in itself. James and I are lucky in that there is a large group of 928 owners in our home State, however only a small percentage are OC members.

James needs another job like he needs to import another GTS from Europe
8>).

As a 928 vendor I see hundreds and hundreds of 928 owners who have never heard of the 928 Owners Club or Rennlist for that matter. Laura (928sRus Office Manager) and I have been looking at a way to add a flyer, to every package we send out, which extols the virtues of 928 OC membership. This is particularly important for International 928 owners. If I can get them to push the OC at their own events and they see the reward in getting sponsorship to further their event we could increase membership 5 fold.

We also need to have this forum as “THE” 928 forum where everyone in the 928 World visits for information et al.
I spend countless hours on all the other forums around the World and the 928 community cries out for a 928 central forum.
We need to concentrate our efforts on achieving that goal. This is happening already and I see progress.

Just my 5c for a Tuesday morning.

And a good 5cents worth it is!

As for monitoring, if we get another volunteer, I could easily add another field to the website form where the referring member could be listed, and then have the new volunteer copied, so he/she could track it. Of course any form mailed into James would not be seen, so the results would not be 100%

I believe James already has a volunteer that is calling new members, so the task of tracking might be done by that person.

I think have an outreach coordinator is perhaps what is needed to received the tracking information, and also to reach out to the many 928 owners that haven't heard of the 928 OC (as indicated in your post).

More
04 Jan 2011 11:59 #2685 by pcar928fan
Roger, that was VERY WELL SAID, and I think 928 cents worth, not 5. The only other job I need is a PAYING ONE!

I think we are making great progress right now and we just need to keep the momentum up. I had 25 people renew memberships in the last 4 days (thanks Jim for sending out the reminder!) and 2 new members join today already. So things are moving forward!

We are getting the Roadside assistance program up and running (this is completely unique) and of course the Technical forum is about to take a HUGE leap forward with all of Dwayne's hard work and documentation!

I think we are on the right track and encouraging friends to join is the way we are going to keep it up. If that needs to go as far as gifting a friend a membership then that is an individual call for sure but I certainly don't have a problem with it...I just don't see that it needs to be a "formal" program or even one that needs to be tracked per se.

Yes, I have Ray Aleksic (another good Canadian member) placing calls to all new members to welcome them and remind them of this forum and the benefits of membership!

Thanks guys for all your enthusiasm!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 Jan 2011 20:52 #2734 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic membership for a friend

We need to concentrate our efforts on achieving that goal.

When I began visiting 928 forums, I was surprised to find that this one wasn't the most visited or the consensus "928 forum." In my opinion, it should be. We're the 928 Owners Club. Of course, our forum should be "the forum." Well said, Roger. I hope our forum can develop just as you describe.

More
05 Jan 2011 21:32 #2746 by 928mac

When I began visiting 928 forums, I was surprised to find that this one wasn't the most visited or the consensus "928 forum." In my opinion, it should be. We're the 928 Owners Club. Of course, our forum should be "the forum." Well said, Roger. I hope our forum can develop just as you describe.

I visit the other forums and discreetly point others to 928oc

More
06 Jan 2011 00:06 #2751 by pcar928fan
Me too! I am trying to get new members all the time!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!