Need some eyes to check an S4 in Miami

More
24 Jan 2011 20:10 #3036 by howdog928
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying an S4 down in Miami, but I'm in Austin, Texas & need someone willing to go and take a look & listen to it.

It's in the Westchester/Fountainbleau area, I have the exact address.
The car looks good overall but the owner says the engine has a knocking sound, so I want to find out what that is & get a set of eyes I can trust to look at the car.

If you're able to go take a look at it, let me know asap & we can set this up.

Thanks for your help,

Howard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2011 22:32 #3038 by 928mac
I volunteer James, He is in Austin and I am frozen in a snow bank in northern Canada

More
25 Jan 2011 00:37 #3040 by pcar928fan
How and I have been trying to find him a car for quite some time now! Mostly he finds them and then I dissect (ie. run them down) for him! ;) That is what I am here for! LOL!

Seriously he has been screwed over about 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks on 928's he has *tried* to buy. He is due for some good luck soon. While this one in Miami looks pretty good, there are some issues that could really be deal breakers.

There is a really decent one in Austin but it is a bit above his price range...would be a GREAT car to have though...owned by the guy who works on all my 928's and he rebuilt the engine on it himself about 2 or 3 years ago and has not put to many miles on it since but enough to know everything is GOOD TO GO! Probably since he would be the one continuing to work on the car if How had it he would get some special treatment too!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
25 Jan 2011 07:49 #3045 by WyattsRide

Seriously he has been screwed over about 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks on 928's he has *tried* to buy. He is due for some good luck soon. While this one in Miami looks pretty good, there are some issues that could really be deal breakers.

What's been happening that he's getting "screwed"?

More
25 Jan 2011 19:21 #3050 by howdog928
Last one I had agreed to buy an 86 in Ft Worth, paid $400 deposit and arranged to go back the next week to pick it up (3+ hour drive). When I get there, no car & the guy has disappeared off to Florida!!! No call, nothing.

Then I go to look at a car the guy was telling me was just needing minor things & don't worry, I won't be disappointed - only to find out it was a junker, p.o.s.

I'd really like someone to look at the Miami car for me, but not getting any takers so far :(

A bit of help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks guys

More
25 Jan 2011 20:18 #3055 by srshaw3
What are you hoping for, expecting from, a person who might be able to look at the Miami car? (not me, just interested).

More
26 Jan 2011 07:16 #3063 by howdog928
The key thing is the owner says the engine is 'knocking'. So I'm wanting to find out what that is. Serious, not serious, so I can factor in the cost of fixing that to see if it's worth me buying the car. The owner is not a 928 enthusiast & is just wholesaling the car it seems.
So, I want to know what that is before I commit to buy. The rest seems good on the car.
Thanks,
Howard

More
26 Jan 2011 07:23 #3064 by srshaw3

The key thing is the owner says the engine is 'knocking'. So I'm wanting to find out what that is. Serious, not serious, so I can factor in the cost of fixing that to see if it's worth me buying the car. The owner is not a 928 enthusiast & is just wholesaling the car it seems.
So, I want to know what that is before I commit to buy. The rest seems good on the car.
Thanks,
Howard

What this means to me, is that you need an experienced mechanically inclined person to review this. I spun a rod bearing on my 928 race car and to the uninformed it could easily have sounded like a minor issue.

So, what I suggest you are looking for, is a shop or person in the Miami area capable of doing a basic PPI, correct?

More
26 Jan 2011 07:27 #3065 by WyattsRide

Last one I had agreed to buy an 86 in Ft Worth, paid $400 deposit and arranged to go back the next week to pick it up (3+ hour drive). When I get there, no car & the guy has disappeared off to Florida!!! No call, nothing.........

That really sucks. I hope you are pursuing legal action. That F#@& shouldn't get away with that! :mad:

I really hope you can find someone to help you Howard.

More
26 Jan 2011 07:35 #3066 by srshaw3

That really sucks. I hope you are pursuing legal action. That F#@& shouldn't get away with that! :mad:

Unfortunately if you can't find him, you can't really pursue it in small claims court, and $400 would be barely a down payment on attorney costs, so not really an option there. Not to mention that usually someone who absconds with $400 knows more about how to get away with it, then an honest person knows about recovering it. :mad:

More
26 Jan 2011 19:26 #3077 by howdog928

What this means to me, is that you need an experienced mechanically inclined person to review this. I spun a rod bearing on my 928 race car and to the uninformed it could easily have sounded like a minor issue.

So, what I suggest you are looking for, is a shop or person in the Miami area capable of doing a basic PPI, correct?

Yes, exactly Stan. With James' help we have a guy to look at it at the weekend & in the meantime I have scoped out 2 possible shops 15 mins from the car that can do a PPI. I'll wait to see what our guy says at the weekend & if still uncertain, will then get a PPI.
Thanks.

More
26 Jan 2011 19:30 #3078 by howdog928

Yea, thanks. I haven't done anything yet. If I don't hear back from him within a week I'll report to the police, but like Stan says, not sure if there's really much I can do about it. costs me probably $60-70 just to go there & back, so almost pointless really doing too much.

Maybe we can get a group to go up sometime and toilet paper & egg his house, lol. Anyone want to come?:D

Otherwise, I'm just getting on with finding a real 928 for me to upgrade to.

More
26 Jan 2011 19:54 #3080 by srshaw3

Yes, exactly Stan. With James' help we have a guy to look at it at the weekend & in the meantime I have scoped out 2 possible shops 15 mins from the car that can do a PPI. I'll wait to see what our guy says at the weekend & if still uncertain, will then get a PPI.
Thanks.

Good to hear. I was thinking I might be able to locate a 928 OC member that would help, but the skill set might well be inadequate, that is why I was asking those questions. Good luck!

More
26 Jan 2011 19:56 #3081 by 928mac
If you know the address where he was, check for a forwarding address, take two buddies with baseball bats to that address.
$400 is at least a busted arm and a face lift :rolleyes:

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!