Good morning - 30 January - On philosophy

• martinss
  • martinss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Jan 2011 10:36 #3163 by martinss
Everyone who works on old cars know some adage along the lines of, "I spent $10,000 on my $4,000 car and I now have a $6,000 car." Your numbers may vary :) but the concept seldom does.

For my current project I've decided that of the 3Rs I've chosen to Restore, not Replace or Renew (as in customize or update). I have to keep reminding myself of that as I am often tempted to replace a part that is showing its age, or renew something to bring it up to date. There's nothing wrong with that of course if you will gain enjoyment from it, but you certainly won't profit financially.

Today I pulled the sunroof mechanism to clean and lubricate it. A couple of things are broken.
  1. One of the two sunroof guides - $2 for a new one - I'll buy a new one for both sides while I'm at it
  2. The sunroof motor clutch - another piece of plastic (really just a short plastic connector) - but this one lists at ~$100 or more!

I think I'll be gluing #2 back together :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2011 12:57 #3165 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Good morning - 30 January - On philosophy
Hi Martin and Good Morning 928 members.

That is a very good start Martin as to restore first until the car is sorted.

I spent a grand or 5 on extras and now i am running short for needed items.

Have a great 928 day everyone.

More
30 Jan 2011 15:03 #3169 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Good morning - 30 January - On philosophy
Martin, if the wires match up well and don't have to fit inside a motor (ie. the plug ends are connected outside of the part they control) you could substitute spade or any other connector... I suspect the plug is needed and is the interface to the motor or whatever it is going to... just guessing though...never been in to the Sunroof... Good luck, take pics and keep us posted!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
30 Jan 2011 15:12 #3171 by 928mac

Martin, if the wires match up well and don't have to fit inside a motor (ie. the plug ends are connected outside of the part they control) you could substitute spade or any other connector... I suspect the plug is needed and is the interface to the motor or whatever it is going to... just guessing though...never been in to the Sunroof... Good luck, take pics and keep us posted!

James I think Martin is talking about his sunroof mechanical

BTW Martin, here is a link

www.nichols.nu/tip805.htm

• martinss
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Jan 2011 16:54 #3172 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Good morning - 30 January - On philosophy

James I think Martin is talking about his sunroof mechanical

BTW Martin, here is a link

www.nichols.nu/tip805.htm

Thanks Brad. Mechanical indeed.
@James: I posted a link to a picture of the offending item which is the drive connector between the motor and gearbox of the sunroof. P calls it a 'clutch,' but it is really just a semi-flexible, isolation linkage.

I've been following the Nichols' approach - it is the best I found. A number of other threads have you taking the headliner out - which is not necessary and a really messing job as it is sealed along the edge of the sunroof opening with a black tar like substance. The only trouble with the Nichols description is that it has no pictures. I'm afraid it took me a while to figure out where the front screws securing the sunroof liner to the top panel were located. I have in mind adding pics to an excerpt to his description and posting here with full attribution.

BTW, speaking of the sealing tar - it is readily soluble in Varsol should anyone need to remove it from where it is not supposed to be. But be careful as Varsol also removes leather dye...

More
30 Jan 2011 20:54 #3174 by 928mac
Pictures would be great Martin

More
30 Jan 2011 21:47 #3177 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Good morning - 30 January - On philosophy
Good work Martin! Thanks for clearing that up and the info!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

• martinss
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Jan 2011 07:53 #3186 by martinss
As I looked in to the source of the tip ( www.nichols.nu/tip805.htm ), I found that it was from Keith Widom, SoCal928. I can't find Keith on either Rennlist or the SoCal928 site. Does anyone know if he is still active? I'd like to ask permission to excerpt his procedure.

More
31 Jan 2011 08:17 #3190 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Good morning - 30 January - On philosophy
Keith is still a 928er last I knew. He owns a 928 GTS. Last I knew he was in the pacific northwest (maybe Oregon?).

• martinss
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Jan 2011 10:22 #3193 by martinss

Keith is still a 928er last I knew. He owns a 928 GTS. Last I knew he was in the pacific northwest (maybe Oregon?).

Ah - found him on RL after all: forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/members/2714-928ntslow.html I sent a PM to him just now, but he has not been on for a month.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!