20 year old parts

More
31 Jan 2011 01:05 #3182 by 928mac
20 year old parts was created by 928mac
I have found that working on this 22 year old car has mostly been a joy, But I found a draw back.

The gaskets that stay in place for a long time before they are replaced can be a bit of a bugger.

I removed one of the heads and have started cleaning as can be seen in my profile thread.

I have never in all my years seen gaskets so hard and deeply stained into the aluminum.

it is a labor of love. :rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2011 01:36 #3185 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic 20 year old parts
I know what you mean. My 26 year old gaskets left me the same kind of mess when I pulled the heads. I'm wanting to replace the heads with Euros as one of mine is likely cracked. The '83 US motor that I picked up on Ebay will work for now 'til I get the coin to sort through the original.

Look at the driver's side cylinder head mating surface in my head gaskets thread. The photos also reveal just how little carbon deposit there was on the pistons; I'm sure the water in the bores had something to with that.

More
01 Feb 2011 21:19 #3246 by fraggle
Replied by fraggle on topic 20 year old parts
Be careful with cleaning the mating surface!! I did pretty well with mine but ended up with a light milling to finish it up. It was safer than beating away at it with something too abrasive.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!