Feb 13,and snowing again.

More
13 Feb 2011 04:01 #3437 by 87 Shark
Good morning all. It's finally starting to warm up around here (0 celcius as forecast high) and that means more snow. 15cm today more tomorow and some freezing rain by thurs. Going to be a long week of 12hr nights. Almost had a day off last night as I only had to go in for 5hrs. The damned tax man sent me roses for Valentines day. Guess I'll order some high flow cats for my baby and roses for Julie (my other passion).
Have a great day all.:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2011 10:19 #3446 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Feb 13,and snowing again.
Good Morning 928 Owners

I hope you all are having better weather then Dave.
Its snowing here too Dave

Here are some pictures of Fort McMurray and the oil sands

Fort McMurray Pictures Here

Have A Great 928 Day

Brad

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
13 Feb 2011 11:00 #3448 by WyattsRide
Good morning guys!

More snow heading our way too! Come on spring!!! :(

More
13 Feb 2011 11:07 #3449 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Feb 13,and snowing again.
I hate to brag but in about an hour from now we should be up to 60 degrees here in Nashville, TN!! And be believe me, I will certainly be taking advantage of these temps and plan to wrench on the 928. It has been a very cold and snowy winter here in middle TN this time around. Our last two winters have seemed that way. In years past, it may have snowed 2-3 times a year MAX around here.

By the way, I plan to repaint my '84 sometime very soon. I don't know whether I've ever mentioned it here or not before, but that's what I do for a living. I will try to make it as thorough and educational as possible for other shark owners out there who are likely wanting to do the same thing to their cars.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

More
13 Feb 2011 11:23 #3452 by 928mac

I hate to brag but in about an hour from now we should be up to 60 degrees here in Nashville, TN!! And be believe me, I will certainly be taking advantage of these temps and plan to wrench on the 928. It has been a very cold and snowy winter here in middle TN this time around. Our last two winters have seemed that way. In years past, it may have snowed 2-3 times a year MAX around here.

By the way, I plan to repaint my '84 sometime very soon. I don't know whether I've ever mentioned it here or not before, but that's what I do for a living. I will try to make it as thorough and educational as possible for other shark owners out there who are likely wanting to do the same thing to their cars.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Cool Austin, but you know that is takes a special touch and a nice paint booth for a GREAT paint job.
That is why I don't think I would consider painting my own.
If I had a booth and someone like you to assist, I would give it a go.

Dam the Coffee is great this morning.
Lots of great post

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
13 Feb 2011 11:39 #3455 by Kiln_Red

Cool Austin, but you know that is takes a special touch and a nice paint booth for a GREAT paint job.
That is why I don't think I would consider painting my own.

90% of it is getting it ready and that includes the booth. Sure, a full downdraft setup with the booth pressure just barely negative is the easiest way to get one clean IMO. It's just more efficient for a pro. But a DIY can also afford the time to spend on one vehicle at a time staging their garage to get a clean job, actually. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for that.

If there is enough interest in the process by members of the board, I would be happy to spray the '84 in my garage and include photos and tips. Otherwise, of course, I will just spray it in a full downdraft at a local dealer. Either way I will include photos of the process. Perhaps I should start a poll to see just how the 928OC would like to see it done and in what setting. What do you think, Brad?

More
13 Feb 2011 12:10 #3458 by 928mac
Well of coarse everyone will want to see your tricks of how they can DIY in their garage. .

Plastic the walls, wet the floor, use a tack cloth.

Maybe you can instruct me as the drivers door clear is pealing and that is what I would like to fix.

I would also like to do a side molding delete but that would mean more sanding. :rolleyes:

More
13 Feb 2011 12:13 #3459 by Kiln_Red

Well of coarse everyone will want to see your tricks of how they can DIY in their garage. .

Hmmmm... Sounds like someone else has BTDT.

For a car this low to the ground, I will also put it on jack stands. Makes a HUGE difference on cleanliness and it's actually a little more comfortable for me as I am 6'2. The real importance in making an all-over look good is the pattern in which you spray it; particularly the clear. If you're good, then you can just about spray coats with nearly no break in between to allow for the paint to tack off. If you're doing it right, you can just rock-n-roll without any fear of runs, solvent pop, etc.

More
13 Feb 2011 12:16 #3461 by 928mac

Hmmmm... Sounds like someone else has BTDT.

?? whats BTDT

More
13 Feb 2011 12:29 #3462 by Kiln_Red
Been There Done That

More
13 Feb 2011 12:38 #3463 by 928mac
Ya I have worked in a body shop and own a nice paint gun. ILL take a pic of the gun later.

Here, I doug it out. It still has the nozzle sitting inside in solvent

Oh its a Mac

Attached files [img]media/attachments/3584=389-IMG_0814.jpg[/img]

More
13 Feb 2011 17:38 #3472 by WyattsRide

90% of it is getting it ready and that includes the booth. Sure, a full downdraft setup with the booth pressure just barely negative is the easiest way to get one clean IMO. It's just more efficient for a pro. But a DIY can also afford the time to spend on one vehicle at a time staging their garage to get a clean job, actually. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for that.

If there is enough interest in the process by members of the board, I would be happy to spray the '84 in my garage and include photos and tips. Otherwise, of course, I will just spray it in a full downdraft at a local dealer. Either way I will include photos of the process. Perhaps I should start a poll to see just how the 928OC would like to see it done and in what setting. What do you think, Brad?

What ever route you end up going Austin, I would love to see the process in pictures. Not that I ever plan on doing it myself though. I just find it very interesting what you guys can do.

Maybe you can instruct me as the drivers door clear is pealing and that is what I would like to fix.

I would also like to do a side molding delete but that would mean more sanding. :rolleyes:

Isn't that side molding delete difficult because of having to weld the holes closed in the aluminum panels?

More
13 Feb 2011 19:38 #3475 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Feb 13,and snowing again.

What ever route you end up going Austin, I would love to see the process in pictures...

Me too Austin. I'd be fascinated to see the application sequence you mention in the context of a 928.

More
13 Feb 2011 21:42 #3480 by Pcplod
Replied by Pcplod on topic Feb 13,and snowing again.
Austin,

I'll chime in too. I would love to hear/see what you have to say about redoing the paint on your shark! I am sure that most everyone on this forum would be interested in what tips/tricks you might have up your sleeve!

More
14 Feb 2011 07:02 #3481 by 87 Shark
Replied by 87 Shark on topic Feb 13,and snowing again.
I have a spot at my rear 1/4 glass were the clear coat is starting to peal. Could you show how to prep and wet sand this for a touch up before douing your car?
Thanks.

More
14 Feb 2011 23:27 #3494 by pcar928fan
The last few days have been PERFECT shark weather here! Mid 70's! AMAZING! Thank god for Central TX winters!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!