Good Morning 928 OC March 5th

More
05 Mar 2011 09:38 #3802 by 928mac
Good Morning all.

How is everyone doing? fine I hope.
I work up early to a guy revving the crap out of his truck because he hit the snow bank by our house and was high centered.

I felt like going out with a bat and beating some sense into him but it was 7:30 and cold outside. I crawled back into bed.

I plan on spending some time working on the car/engine, today.

I was also thinking how fun it would be with someone who did not know the car, when I get the switches in,
to bring up the rear camera and ask them to hit the rocket switch, ha ha the rear hatch would click and I could say "oh dam its empty" ha ha

OK, Have A Great 928 Day

Attached files [img]media/attachments/3941=424-IMG_0850_2.jpg[/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2011 10:50 #3803 by martinss
You really need to have replaceable cover plate and a software program to be able to print out new symbols as the occasion warrants.

Heck, Hans and Paul should have used a touch screen with selectable images behind :)

Today I hope to finish installing a hardwired battery minder. I've been cleaning ground points and removed the M6 bolt from the ground point behind the transmission cooler. Lost it trying to reinstall. Had to go early this morning to buy another. Stocked up on a selection of lengths - M6s seem to be used in lots of places on this car

More
05 Mar 2011 11:13 #3804 by pcar928fan
I use a Schumacher battery tender for several of my cars and they have been GREAT over the years. I need to get one more for my race car that I can leave sitting in that car all the time. I have my '92 and BLUE82 hardwired with the tail coming out of the bottom of the battery box and the end hiding behind the bumper cover so it is really easy to get to and plug in... I LOVE IT!!!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 Mar 2011 11:15 #3805 by 928mac

You really need to have replaceable cover plate and a software program to be able to print out new symbols as the occasion warrants.

Heck, Hans and Paul should have used a touch screen with selectable images behind :)

Today I hope to finish installing a hardwired battery minder. I've been cleaning ground points and removed the M6 bolt from the ground point behind the transmission cooler. Lost it trying to reinstall. Had to go early this morning to buy another. Stocked up on a selection of lengths - M6s seem to be used in lots of places on this car

Hi Martin;
I think that is what the carputer is all about. Touch screen to control functions and I am sure if you mentioned the added icon idea to him he would add it in.

I thought about the battery minder idea but then I went with a deep cycle battery and fixed my draw. No more problems. Oh a 200 amp alternator.

I haven't done my ground points yet. You are a encouragement to the rest of us to get on it. :)

More
05 Mar 2011 11:33 #3807 by pcar928fan
What were your big draws on the battery when sitting??? Just curious...

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 Mar 2011 12:11 #3809 by 928mac

What were your big draws on the battery when sitting??? Just curious...

The rear defog relay was leaking.
The fix was easy as who needs it, so out it came.

To Find Your Draw

You can hook a multi meter between the neg cable and the bat
(remove neg cable and hook meter between cable and bat post with the meter on the 10 amp scale.)

have the meter placed so you can see it from the electrical panel.

start pulling relays until you see the meter reading drop.

That is the circuit that has the draw.
It may be something else on that circuit like a module but that is found the same way.
plug that relay back in and start unplugging wires or modules to track down the culprit.
Removing fuses 1 at a time also helps isolate the circuit or area (as you watch for the drop)

Always reinstall relay or fuse to find the last thing on the line that removes the draw.

It sucks to be testing for a 1/2 hr to find you left the fuse out :rolleyes:

More
05 Mar 2011 12:27 #3810 by martinss

I use a Schumacher battery tender for several of my cars and they have been GREAT over the years...

That's exactly what I have James . I installed the ring connectors permanently to the car and have just finished soldering and routing the wire - I just came in to warm up... I'll post pics on my car profile soon. (edit: pics here )

I have a draw that I haven't located yet - but it is not the famous circuit for internal lights as I have the fuse pulled on that one since the doors, hatch and hood are open most of the time.

More
05 Mar 2011 12:31 #3811 by martinss

The rear defog relay was leaking.
The fix was easy as who needs it, so out it came.

To Find Your Draw

...start pulling relays until you see the meter reading drop....

That is the circuit that has the draw.
It may be something else on that circuit like a module but that is found the same way.
plug that relay back in and start unplugging wires or modules to track down the culprit.
Removing fuses 1 at a time also helps isolate the circuit or area (as you watch for the drop)...

Brad: I'm curious why you pull the relays first of all? Surely all of the relays are fused and pulling fuses is easier (for me anyway).

More
05 Mar 2011 12:33 #3812 by martinss

Hi Martin;
I haven't done my ground points yet. You are a encouragement to the rest of us to get on it. :)

I have a story to tell on this one when I get time - many a bad word was spoken...

More
05 Mar 2011 13:02 #3813 by 928mac

Brad: I'm curious why you pull the relays first of all? Surely all of the relays are fused and pulling fuses is easier (for me anyway).

No reason; just the way I do it.

Are there more then 1 fuse to a relay?, I wouldn't thinks so.
Is the more then 1 relay to a fuse?, that may happen but not normally.

Either way works just as well except if you pull fuses first to find a stuck relay then you will have to pull the relay anyway but it really dose not matter.

My way is not any more right then yours.

More
05 Mar 2011 16:17 #3822 by martinss
Just measure the current draw per your method Brad - getting about 75mA. IIRC it is supposed to be around 25mA.

More
05 Mar 2011 16:26 #3823 by pcar928fan
Yea, I HATE pulling relay's. They never want to come out...I don't have a "relay puller" though so that is probably the problem I am having. Get the correct tool for the job as they say!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
05 Mar 2011 16:58 #3827 by martinss

Yea, I HATE pulling relay's. They never want to come out...I don't have a "relay puller" though so that is probably the problem I am having. Get the correct tool for the job as they say!

Something like this: cgi.ebay.ca/Lisle-46950-Relay-Puller-Pli...&hash=item2c5422354a - which I don't have yet...

More
06 Mar 2011 08:28 #3830 by WyattsRide
Hey, guys I'm still working on cleaning my grounds too. I finished up the 14 points so now I'm onto the others around the engine. Some are tough to find.:(

We may have discussed this sometime but I use those cheap paint can tools to remove relays. One on each side and pull. If you need a picture of these I can do that sometime.

I use a Shumacher battery tender also. I have the unit outside the battery box in the space between the spare tire and the back of the well. The wires run into the battery box. After the spare tire cover and carpet is in place the only thing that is showing a little is the plug end.

More
06 Mar 2011 10:09 #3832 by martinss

Hey, guys I'm still working on cleaning my grounds too. I finished up the 14 points so now I'm onto the others around the engine. Some are tough to find.:(

We may have discussed this sometime but I use those cheap paint can tools to remove relays. One on each side and pull. If you need a picture of these I can do that sometime.

Rick: the worst one so far for me was MPII = an absolute bear hidden behind the transmission cooler hoses. MPIII was hard to find.

So far I have done I, II, III, VII, X. Still to do V, VI and XII today.

More
06 Mar 2011 10:42 #3833 by 928mac
After you are done, will you come do mine.
Tims coffee or what ever you want to drink.
Its -38c today, i would take the hot drink

More
06 Mar 2011 12:26 #3836 by martinss

After you are done, will you come do mine.
Tims coffee or what ever you want to drink.
Its -38c today, i would take the hot drink

A Timmies would be good Brad - but why would I leave the balmy -3C that we are having with a fresh 6" of snow? :rolleyes:

More
06 Mar 2011 14:18 #3837 by pcar928fan
Man, it is still winter for you guys up there BIG TIME! We are already on to Spring here in CenTX!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
06 Mar 2011 15:56 #3839 by 928mac
And you will have mowed the grass 20 times before I have to cut mine the first time this year.

I'm just trying to stay positive :)

More
06 Mar 2011 22:10 #3849 by pcar928fan
I LOVE mowing the yard...my riding mower was down ALL last year, but I am hoping the guy that has it will get it back up and running for me! One of the few things I can do and kind of feel normal about life... that and driving!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!