Oil pan gasket replacement

• Bilal Hasan
  • Bilal Hasan's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2011 08:22 #4357 by Bilal Hasan
Oil pan gasket replacement was created by Bilal Hasan
Hi guys,First time posting here, usually post on the list.Ok. I am getting myself psyched up to do the steering rack replacement and while I am in there to do the motor mounts and oil pan gasket. Couple of questions: should I replace the gasket with the OEM cork gasket? Replace it with the new silicone(?) gasket? Or go all out with the 928 motorsport solution?There are other lockable fastners that are made by Stage 8 and can be used without changing to studs.While I have the oil pan off, does it make sense to change the 2/6 rod bearing? *What is involved? I do not have any noise or other issues pointing to an imminent failure, more of a precaution. Never done that before on any engine, so what would be the pitfalls?ThanksBilal1990928S4Red1991928GTBlackI got this reply from Ray, anybody has other ideas.Good job working on these things, Bilal. There's no reason to change***the 2/6 rod bearings in advance, as they don't fail gradually. If***they haven't failed yet (and I'm sure yours haven't, you'd know if***they had) then they are in the same condition as the others.
***Personally, I would go with a silicone or paper gasket rather than***the OEM cork gasket, as I think anything else is overkill. In fact,***I put a cork gasket into mine several years ago and it has worked***fine, although I haven't driven the car as much as I used to. The***thinner gaskets should work better than the cork gasket, but I don't***see a need for any other changes.***Ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2011 08:34 #4358 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic Oil pan gasket replacement
Use the silicone gasket.

If you don't use the stud kit, re-use the bolts with blue locktite.

You can pull the 2/6 rod bearings to inspect for wear, if so, replace. If not, put them back in and use NEW rod nuts.

Get lots of paper towels, it's a messy job.

More
10 Apr 2011 11:42 #4371 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Oil pan gasket replacement
I went with the silicone gasket and the original bolts even though the studs may be a good idea.
I did not look at my rod bearings.

More
10 Apr 2011 16:45 #4376 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic Oil pan gasket replacement

Use the silicone gasket.

If you don't use the stud kit, re-use the bolts with blue locktite.

You can pull the 2/6 rod bearings to inspect for wear, if so, replace. If not, put them back in and use NEW rod nuts.

Get lots of paper towels, it's a messy job.

Hmmm.. I never have used loctite on the oil pan bolts. Sounds like an excellent idea as they have a tendency to back out so easily. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I have an oil pan off of a 928.

I vote for the silicone gasket as well. And if it were me, I would go on and inspect/replace all of the conrod bearings while I was in there.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!