• the flying scotsman
  • the flying scotsman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Apr 2011 14:16 #4447 by the flying scotsman
praying to the customs folks was created by the flying scotsman
My parts are stuck in our free open trade friggin customs. :confused:

Be real nice to have them for the weekend so my car can once again purr down the hwy :cool: (once the snow melts)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2011 16:18 #4452 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic praying to the customs folks
Lord please grant the customs folks the ability to use more then the standard 3 brain cells that they normally use :)

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Apr 2011 10:48 #4456 by the flying scotsman
Replied by the flying scotsman on topic praying to the customs folks
kinda worked Brad, here's the long story:

2 orders on the go, one from Roger the other from 928INT.

The Roger order was delayed because of volume chaos at his business. He deserves a holiday and I had all winter to order.....bad timing. The order shipped as normal left the states and fell into the customs black hole and there endth this story for now......no parts this weekend :mad:

The 928INT order was for the hood/rear hatch shocks they had on sale but the issue was the shipping was going as much or more than the parts. Jim Corneman kindly suggested I have them shipped to him in the WA area and when he visited the Vancouver area last week he'd bring them with and I could pick them up when there on biz. Well the plan was good but my biz trip was a few days apart from Jims trip so plan B was for Jim to mail them when here. Parts were rxd yesterday and all is good:D

Meanwhile it snowed again!!!........much time to work on the car but no parts.

Sorrry for the long rant.......just venting:eek:

More
16 Apr 2011 11:28 #4457 by 928mac
No problem with the Rant Malcolm, I enjoy listening to them once in a while, and yours are never what I would call a rant :)

My problem is that I dont have enough passion to keep me on course.

I have most of the parts but because of my build project, and the variety,
suspension, engine changes, computer and harness, intake pump leak, new brakes,
so much is not straight forward and even the new parts like the fuel lines do not just bolt up as expected. Everything I'm doing requires thought and (make it fit) modifications.

I think I am attempting to large of a project with all the family issues.

I do not know if I will (gitter done) this year or not, but I'm still hoping.
I should get a day on it this weekend.

I hope your parts show up soon.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Apr 2011 12:03 #4458 by the flying scotsman
thx Brad........you have bigger priorities than your car and thats whats important.

My dad recently passed and I found (and have always found) working on the car great solace.

Having it run really well is important and working on it is very theraputic.

take care my friend.

(BTW I have the complete list of CDN OC members.....different thread :))

Also, as you have learned and probably read by now, the supplier of some of your parts has history of parts that dont fit period or dont fit without mods......I dont use that supplier anymore.

More
16 Apr 2011 23:55 #4461 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic praying to the customs folks
^^^^^
What he said...that last very first and very last parts for sure!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
17 Apr 2011 10:15 #4463 by 928mac
Thanks Guys.

Here is the way I see it.

The vender we are talking about (comes up with ~) some great ideas.

I Think the problem is he expects it to be installed in a shop with all the tools and old parts so that it can be adapted,
and he expects it to be done by a mechanic that can figure it out, right or wrong.
Since the early to the latest cars have some differences, the part or kit stops and leaves it up to the owner to fit where needs be.

I do not agree with this, but because some of the stuff he sells is unique i didn't give it much thought.

Well now that its time to install it, I have to give it the thought and think the way an old racer would.
It sucks because its unexpected what you will have to do and once you commit then stock stuff can not be used.

BTW the vender has removed the fuel lines from the kit on his page. I can not find it anywhere on his web site.

I am going to document my fix for the stuff that I bought and will be starting with the fuel lines/fuel rail kit.

ILL do this in my profile.

More
17 Apr 2011 15:45 #4466 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic praying to the customs folks
Brad: Did you get the manifold spacers from the vendor in question? The graph looks persuasive...

More
17 Apr 2011 18:51 #4473 by 928mac

Brad: Did you get the manifold spacers from the vendor in question? The graph looks persuasive...

No I didn't.

I think there is more to this fix then just installing a plate and so I have been waiting to see what everyone else finds. More then just 1 vender sells them.

They will probably help a stock engine but will they be enough if boost comes into the question down the road? Thats why I'm waiting.

I feel the intake needs more help.

More
18 Apr 2011 11:43 #4481 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic praying to the customs folks

No I didn't.

I think there is more to this fix then just installing a plate and so I have been waiting to see what everyone else finds. More then just 1 vender sells them.

They will probably help a stock engine but will they be enough if boost comes into the question down the road? Thats why I'm waiting.

I feel the intake needs more help.

It does sound a little too simple - why would Porsche not have extended the intake a bit since there's room...

More
23 Apr 2011 20:53 #4577 by 928mac
Malcolm didn't your stuff come in yet?

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Apr 2011 09:00 #4581 by the flying scotsman
:( the parts didnt arrive Brad.

I was in Edmonton this week and watching the USPS tracking which indicated CDN customs released the shipment Apr 19.

My wife was in Calgary but she headed home early Thurs aft to make it in time before our local post office closed for the long Easter weekend but there was only bills.

I'm so frustrated right now. My car was running like crap because of a new Porsche hose failed under the intake after only 5000 kms and a few years. It meant removing the intake again and once more Im ordering +$900 worth of parts to fix a $30 hose because I truly do not want to do this work again.

I know others have a PO box just on the other side of the border so they can run down, pick up, pay duties and have parts in hand in a few days.

My shipment left Tx Apr 11......it will be +2 weeks to get here.

I need to either fully step away or do another project that I do have parts for.....like change the suspension Eibach springs back to stock.......now wheres that wrench?

More
24 Apr 2011 12:21 #4582 by 928mac
How come so many parts are going back to stock? for example the adj FR that your sending my way and are the springs to stiff?

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Apr 2011 15:45 #4588 by the flying scotsman
I dont like the 2 stage progressive Eibach spring and yes I find them stiff/harsh for the street.

I want to try the Bilstein shocks with stock springs.....the eibachs will be sold.

More
28 Apr 2011 12:47 #4616 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic praying to the customs folks
I changed my hose the other morning, besides putting another TPS on there, it was the only part I changed.

The side intake spacer that Roger sells has a groved place for the factory gasket to be installed on both sides, the other ones expect you to use glue.

Brad, glad to hear you figured out those fuel hoses, I laughed when they were no longer up for sale.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Apr 2011 14:22 #4617 by the flying scotsman
always a catch 22 Sean.....what parts to change or not as the case maybe.

if I ever work an intake again for someones car I'll recommend they change everything the first time and if they dont are fully charged again for the 2nd intake r&r.

I did change everything except the TPS and ISV on my own car as they all checked out.....they still do but I'm changing them anyway.

If something fails again under the intake in the near future I can see the gallon of gas and match being the repair of choice.

More
28 Apr 2011 14:28 #4618 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic praying to the customs folks

always a catch 22 Sean.....what parts to change or not as the case maybe.

if I ever work an intake again for someones car I'll recommend they change everything the first time and if they dont are fully charged again for the 2nd intake r&r.

I did change everything except the TPS and ISV on my own car as they all checked out.....they still do but I'm changing them anyway.

If something fails again under the intake in the near future I can see the gallon of gas and match being the repair of choice.

I paid to have my intake refresh done, and replaced the TPS and ISV just because. For some reason a $20 vacuum hose was not replaced. Guess what failed shortly thereafter?

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Apr 2011 08:13 #4623 by the flying scotsman
At long last I rxd the parts package on Tuesday.

They shipped on Apr 11 arriving Apr 26 after a long delay in customs and stuck in the mail system for the Easter long weekend. The reality is the shipper and mail folks did there job in the US where the package was routed through Chicago in 2 days of leaving; after that it fell into the black hole. I'm posting this as a lesson learned (yes even after all this time and many many other packages) to carefully plan your parts requirements before taking the car apart especially if theres a holiday in the ~4 weeks.....man we need a parts guy in Canada.

To compound everything I mistakenly listed the 87 MY fuel regulator which wont work with the 88 set up. Waiting again, patiently.

More
29 Apr 2011 11:26 #4624 by SeanR
Replied by SeanR on topic praying to the customs folks

To compound everything I mistakenly listed the 87 MY fuel regulator which wont work with the 88 set up. Waiting again, patiently.

Ouch, I've done that too. For me it's just an extra day or two wait, you, not so much.

I've had my intake off 4x now, and each time was due to not replacing everything the previous time, or wanting to change something else. The tune before last time I replaced everything except the TPS/ISV and ended up having the hose break. This time I did the TPS. I've never replaced an ISV, I'll take it out, clean it and bench test it, then put them back in.

Good luck this time Malcolm, with any luck, you won't be going back in for 20 years. And yea, I tell the customer the same thing, replace it all.

• the flying scotsman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Apr 2011 14:04 #4625 by the flying scotsman
thx Sean....appreciate your comments.

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!