Replacement seats?

More
15 May 2011 21:18 #4813 by mm928
Replacement seats? was created by mm928
Hi guys and gals. Just entertaining the notion of maybe replacing both front seats with newer type seats. To update the interior and make the driving experience a little more comfortable. Don't get me wrong, my seats are in pretty good shape for 27 years. However, they are a little hard and a little loose on the rails. So here are some ideas - note interior is the dark blue leather. That could make it harder, but I could go with black if needed I think. I know every option is fairly expensive.....except maybe the covers.

1 - Get new Leather covers
2 - Get original seats in very good condition
3 - Get seat covers (I have seen some that are supposed to fit the pad contours of our seats.) but aesthetically I don't care too much for this idea, especially since I just have a few thread pulls and minor tears right now.
4 - Get replacement seats for other models of Porsche possibly that fit?
5 - Get completely new 3rd party seats that fit our cars. It will change the originality but add to the uniqueness.
6 - Get off my butt and try to tighten up the current seats and quite whining and figuring out ways to spend more money.... :rolleyes:

What say you folks?

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2011 21:25 #4814 by srshaw3
Replied by srshaw3 on topic Replacement seats?
Just my 2 cents.

I plan on having my current seats redone, there are at least two excellent craftsman in the 928 world that can do so.

My intent is to have my 12 way power seats modified to be sport seats and add heat, the cost will be about $2k, so it will be done after I am satisfied with the mechanical status of the car.

More
15 May 2011 21:46 #4815 by martinss
Replied by martinss on topic Replacement seats?
I vote for 6 first. Several of your options would not deal with looseness (1, 3 and perhaps 2), so until you know what is causing that and if it will bother you, you can`t decided on the other options IMHO. Personally I don`t like 3 - but neither do you. 4 is preferable to 5.

More
16 May 2011 15:34 #4817 by WyattsRide
Replied by WyattsRide on topic Replacement seats?
I agree with Martin. But, I'm not understanding what you mean by "hard". Do you mean the leather is hard or the cushion itself is hard? If it's the leather, check out what Martin did in his profile thread to refurbish his leather. Then figure out why the looseness.

I'm not a big fan of non OEM seats in our 928s. Being a 928 is unique in itself don't you think? I'm especially not not a fan of different color front seats compared to the back seats.

Stan's solution is very pricey but the work that comes out of Paul Champagne's workshop is unbelievable. There are others too, but I've see Pauls work in person. WOW!

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. You see and drive your car so you have to be happy with it no matter what.

More
16 May 2011 15:42 #4818 by neilh
Replied by neilh on topic Replacement seats?
I scored a pair of 996 seats from a wreck here in SD for $500, put them in my 81 - very nice, Recaro's, and have the memory working as well!

More
16 May 2011 15:48 #4819 by srshaw3

I scored a pair of 996 seats from a wreck here in SD for $500, put them in my 81 - very nice, Recaro's, and have the memory working as well!

You tease us, and don't provide a photo!!! :D :D :)

More
16 May 2011 17:10 #4821 by pcar928fan
Replied by pcar928fan on topic Replacement seats?
Paul, will tell you the build quality of a Boxster or 996/997 seat is WAY, WAY, WAY below the build quality of the later 928 seats! He should know he has taken about a zillion of each of them apart all the way down to the frame rails!

James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
16 May 2011 17:41 #4826 by srshaw3
Don't tease me James, tell me what I want to know. What can be bolted into a 928 that will provide 12 way power, lumbar support and heat?

More
16 May 2011 17:54 #4827 by pcar928fan
A custom seat from Paul Champagne bro! Send him any seat you want and he can make it a 12 way heated asymmetrical sport seat or anything in between that and a fully manual no frills seat you might want! I have seen them! In fact he and I have tossed around the idea of the asymmetrical sport seat a few times. Think about it...the door is RIGHT THERE on your left when you make right hand turns, it is the left hand turns that will get you if you don't have the sport seats, so why not do sport seat in the middle and let the door hold you on the other side. It would be TONS easier to get in the car and you would have FAR LESS chance of tearing the bolster too!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
16 May 2011 18:19 #4828 by srshaw3

A custom seat from Paul Champagne bro! Send him any seat you want and he can make it a 12 way heated asymmetrical sport seat or anything in between that and a fully manual no frills seat you might want! I have seen them! In fact he and I have tossed around the idea of the asymmetrical sport seat a few times. Think about it...the door is RIGHT THERE on your left when you make right hand turns, it is the left hand turns that will get you if you don't have the sport seats, so why not do sport seat in the middle and let the door hold you on the other side. It would be TONS easier to get in the car and you would have FAR LESS chance of tearing the bolster too!

Ok, I thought you were telling me I could get a Boxster seat, etc.
That was already my plan, to send the seats to Paul and have him convert them to sport seats (symmetric though) and add heat.

More
18 May 2011 00:53 #4834 by pcar928fan
Oh NO...I would NEVER recommend a Boxster or any other 911 seat for a 928. Our seats are LIGHT YEARS ahead of those in quality, construction and comfort! It is a step backward from a 928 seat FOR SURE!

James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

More
18 May 2011 06:52 #4836 by srshaw3

Oh NO...I would NEVER recommend a Boxster or any other 911 seat for a 928. Our seats are LIGHT YEARS ahead of those in quality, construction and comfort! It is a step backward from a 928 seat FOR SURE!

I misread your previous statement, "below" became "better".... my bad :(

More
19 May 2011 10:51 #4858 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Replacement seats?
Good stuff guys - I appreciate the feedback. I am talking to Paul about the console switch replacment option already. I will discuss seats with him too. It is down the line anyway, after all other mechanicals are sound.

Really the seat is not bad at all, just can feel a little play front to back at the base (feels like the front may not be tight to the floor). otherwise feels quite stable.

As for the hardness question, the leather is a little stiff still, but that is coming along. It is more that the seat bolster is a little into my left hip and thigh unless I consciously pull my leg in a little. Otherwise I agree that in general our seats are very well built and very supportive. I guess I would just like a little more thigh width. I am kind of used to that in sports cars for me, since I am about 6' 3' and 245. Just looking for perfection! I could live with it of course.

I think I will get a better idea when I go down to Sharks in the mountains in June. That is about a 6 and 1/2 hour trip. Maybe I will see some good ideas down there as well.

thanks again for the input!

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

More
19 May 2011 11:24 #4860 by 928mac
Replied by 928mac on topic Replacement seats?
When it comes to interiors, Paul is the man

More
29 Jun 2011 22:06 #5322 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Replacement seats?
Problem is now resolved......just picked up a complete leather interior except for rear quarters for a very good deal. Made by Classic 9.

So everything will be recovered soon!

85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

Moderators: Rich928mm928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!